Max Height Allowed on Roof Rack?

Rob Fanucchi

Hi guys,

I have tried searching on the forums and the net but cant seem to find any info, so I was wondering if any of you could help.

I was recently stopped by some cops and told that my bike on my roof rack was too high and exceeded the maximum luggage carrying height that a motor vehicle is allowed to carry.

Obviously they had no means of measuring it there on the spot, and they didn't even know what the max height actually is, so they were just looking to give me a hard time.

I drive a SUV and with a 29er loaded on the roof, the total height is pretty high.

(haven't had a chance to measure it yet)

So I wanted to ask if anyone else has had this issue and what the actual law and height specifications are?

Thanks.

only issue ive had with my roofrack is hitting the roof in undercover parking :eek: , my total height is 2070mm with out a bike on top,

haven't tried to put the bike on for the exact reason you writing here today.

this info would be nice to know in case the polisie man stops me 

The maximum legal height for a vehicle is 4.3m. You won't get close. There are regulations on how far a load can overhang in front (300mm), to the side (150mm) and to the back (1800mm) but not aware of a height restriction relative to the vehicle height.

I drive a Nissan Hardboby and transport my bikes on the roof all the time.  I have not had any hassles yet.  Not actually aware of any height restrictions.

I'll be following this thread as I drive a Fortuner and put the bikes on the roof often. Don't know of any restrictions and have never been stopped, but as said above would be better to be sure.

I found this paragraph  under the car insurance section of arrive alive's website

"on the roof thereof, in the case where such vehicle is a motorcar, if the height of such goods measured from the highest point of such roof exceeds one half of the height of the motor car, measured from ground level: Provided that the provisions of this paragraph shall not be applicable in respect of pedal cycles being transported on the roof of a motor vehicle"

Found this:

Maximum Projection Limits: Height

The load may not extend higher than 4.3 metres from the ground on goods vehicles and not more than half the height of the vehicle if loaded on the roof of a car (unless the load is bicycle, in which case the 4.3 metres restriction apply).

http://www.africanlicence.com/learn/lmv/driving-rules-ii-5/towing-and-carrying-6/

Yeah thanks guys.

Im maybe going to keep a copy of this in my car so if I do get pulled over again I can stick it to them!

• 2 weeks later...

According to some taxi drivers the max height above the roof is about 7 metres, depending on how much rope you have...........................

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old post but it's the only information I can find on the net. The traffic police stopped me twice last week around Johannesburg area with the same story.They both said next time its a fine and they had no means of measuring the actual height. They both stated that your load on the roof is not allowed the be higher than half the height of your vehicle. Anyone with more information on this. The link that Davem posted is no longer active.

Hi guys,

I have tried searching on the forums and the net but cant seem to find any info, so I was wondering if any of you could help.

I was recently stopped by some cops and told that my bike on my roof rack was too high and exceeded the maximum luggage carrying height that a motor vehicle is allowed to carry.

Obviously they had no means of measuring it there on the spot, and they didn't even know what the max height actually is, so they were just looking to give me a hard time.

I drive a SUV and with a 29er loaded on the roof, the total height is pretty high.

(haven't had a chance to measure it yet)

So I wanted to ask if anyone else has had this issue and what the actual law and height specifications are?

Thanks.

I have been stopped (bakkie with bikes on roofracks mounted over the load bin) and told I was too high.

A quick Google revealed this....

The maximum legal height for a vehicle is 4.3m. You won't get close. There are regulations on how far a load can overhang in front (300mm), to the side (150mm) and to the back (1800mm) but not aware of a height restriction relative to the vehicle height.

And I was free to go without a ticket.

No way your SUV with bikes on is over 4.3m, so you are fine.

I know this is an old post but it's the only information I can find on the net. The traffic police stopped me twice last week around Johannesburg area with the same story.They both said next time its a fine and they had no means of measuring the actual height. They both stated that your load on the roof is not allowed the be higher than half the height of your vehicle. Anyone with more information on this. The link that Davem posted is no longer active.

just keep R20 with you.

But really, Thule and the likes are not going to make or import roof carriers if they are illegal. The cops are just trying their luck to make some quick cash.

Manner in which goods to be carried Reg 246. No person shall operate on a public road a motor vehicle carrying any goods-

1. in such a manner as to come into contact with the surface of the public road on which the vehicle is being operated but a chain, known as a “static chain”, may be carried in contact with the surface of such road;
  2. in such a manner as to obscure the driver’s view of traffic to the front or on either side, or his or her view in the rear-view mirror or mirrors of traffic to the rear;
  3. which are not-
    1. safely contained within the body of such vehicle; or
    2. securely fastened to such vehicle, and which are not properly protected from being dislodged or spilled from such vehicle;
  4. on the roof thereof, in the case where such vehicle is a motorcar, if the height of such goods measured from the highest point of such roof exceeds one-half of the height of the motor car, measured from ground level: Provided that the provisions of this paragraph shall not be applicable in respect of pedal cycles being transported on the roof of a motor vehicle; or
  5. in any container, which has provision for fastening by means of “twist locks”, unless such container is securely fastened by at least four “twist locks” and the provision of this paragraph are also applicable to empty containers carried on a motor vehicle, but two “twist locks” may be used to fasten a container which, measured parallel to the length of the vehicle, is at least one comma five metre in length and less than three metres in length.

Edit: I'm sure someone read half the regulation and saw $$$

Edited by bertusras