Izak

Hi guys after being extremely happy with the full range of Maxxis tyres on my 26ers I have not had much luck with any tyre on my 27.5.

I have tried Continentals - sidewalls leak

Schwalbe - weak sidewalls several big tears

Maxxis Crossmark - I have now lost 5 tyres to small sidewall tears just outside the rim area in about three months where I have really not been riding much.

Tyres are inflated to correct pressures and I have taken care to seat and seal them 100%

So I am at your mercy here I know many of you swear by contis and most by schwalbe with snakeskins on your 29ers but please if there are any guys or girls out there specifically with 27.5ers let me know what you use that does not 'poof' at the first sight of a few rocks.

Also if there are any of you that use or have used the new Onzas please share your experience.

What pressure are you running, I had similar issues with my hans dumpf, since then I've upped the pressure a bit and has been fine since.

Running about 2.2 on the back and 1.8 - 1.9 on the front.

I know of 1 that was definitely because I bottomed out on a rocky landing but for the rest just normal riding.  Maybe a bit rocky (Groenkloof Nature reserve - if you know that) at times.

Ya that's about the same as me.

I don't know Groenkloof but I ride my bike pretty hard in some fairly rocky areas and haven't had as many problems as you. Maxxis are usually pretty solid especially in terms of sidewall protection, usually if the side walls are being cut low down like that it indicates too low a pressure being run or you need to pick your lines a bit better.

• 3 weeks later...

WTB with dual ply: Wolverine 2.2, Trailboss 2.25, Vigilante 2.3

They all pretty voluminous and tend more to trail riding but that's what 27.5 was designed for :D. But they are bombproof.

Running vigalante& wolverine f&b and no problems. Grips like k@k in a wolkombers. Will see how i keep up with 29ers @ pwc corp day at paul cluver. Didnt have a problem last year on the 26er with onza ibex(f) canis ®. As robodog said- more trail tyres. Vigilantes DONTt like tar, but thats not what its made for.

Maxxis Minion DHF in front and Maxxis High Roller II @ the back, EXO, and Tubeless conversion done. (min. 2,5 bar)

No hassles so far, with any rocks i came across.

Incl. all the SP's @ Hakahana.

I have been riding Schwalbe Racing Ralph and Maxxis Ikon's. Both brands seem to prefer 2 bar in front and 2.2 bar in the rear. ( I weigh 87kg )

I have been riding Schwalbe Racing Ralph and Maxxis Ikon's. Both brands seem to prefer 2 bar in front and 2.2 bar in the rear. ( I weigh 87kg )

With the WTBs I'm running 1.6-1.7bar front and rear (Birzman gauge). Single ply Vigilante front. Dual ply Trailboss or Wolverine rear. I'm 96kgs.

Cool thanks for all the feedback.  I have been running Maxxis Crossmark front and back (used to run Ardent in the front but could not get any lately).

Front at 1.9 and rear at 2.2 and I am between 85-87kg.  I don't think that I ride that badly that it's all my fault but if banging down a rocky section means I have to chuck a tyre I want something else.

Have bought a Vredenstein Black Panther for the back now so lets see what happens.

Cool thanks for all the feedback.  I have been running Maxxis Crossmark front and back (used to run Ardent in the front but could not get any lately).

Front at 1.9 and rear at 2.2 and I am between 85-87kg.  I don't think that I ride that badly that it's all my fault but if banging down a rocky section means I have to chuck a tyre I want something else.

Have bought a Vredenstein Black Panther for the back now so lets see what happens.

Ardent Race 499 per tire at solomons