Power meters - what do i need to know

I am a software engineer by trade and there for take a very technical approach to most things in my life.

I believe if you want to better yourself at something, cycling or loosing weight - what ever it is - you first need to be able to measure your current value before you can start working on it.

So i have a Garmin Edge 500 with heart monitor and cadence sensor which has allowed me to train sufficiently so far but now i wish to start working on my power output which means i need a power meter.

I have read about the different types of power meters - where they measure and that their results are not exactly the same due to power loss through the drive train ect... But from my perspective being able to measure a value is better than not being able to measure.  

I dont wish to break the bank, so what are my cheapest options? And what do i need to know?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Google DC Rainmaker and read the reviews.

Cheapest option is PowerCal strap which is not really a powermeter but rather a estimate. Most expensive is SRM then there is everything in between from hub to crank to 4iiii to Stages to Power2Max to PowerTap.

Honestly Powercal cannot even be considered a power meter. It is a heart rate monitor that translates heart rate into the language of power. It is useful for measuring training stress e.g. to help plan taper for an event but almost meaningless as a tool to monitor accurate power numbers or monitor power improvements progress. I have a powercal and stages meter, they are not even close to the same thing.

OP your cheapest option for any reasonable level of precision is probably a 2nd hand powertap or stages.

As jcza says DCrainmaker is a good place to start.

Working on power output and measuring are two different things. It's easy to establish if you're gaining power without needing a power meter. If you wish to train using power output zones then the pm is obviously needed.

But are you so well trained that a power meter is going to benefit you Vs the financial outlay?

I have a Power2Max on my bike.  I have had it for about 9 months.  Best bicycle related investment in a long time.  I fitted it at the end of last winters base training.  Most of winter was with heart rate, which is hard, as heart rate response is delayed.

First base ride with power meter, I realised that I wasted most of winter on not very good base training.  I was able to control power throughout the ride, and heart rate changed about 3 to 4 beats a minute.

Power2Max is not the cheapest, but is crank based, so ne issues with changing wheels.  No issues with Garmin 510, as it auto zeros when crank is not turning.

First base ride with power meter, I realised that I wasted most of winter on not very good base training.  I was able to control power throughout the ride, and heart rate changed about 3 to 4 beats a minute.

So you could have just focused on your heart rate and got the same effect? Or not, if so why?

imho buy how to race and train with a power meter about R260 on Kalahari

the first 2 chapters tells you everything you need to know and gives you some of breakdowns of how the power meters works and which types you get etc.

Then once you have a power meter the book can help you use it etc, there is so much data, if you dont know how to use or interpret it it might not be worth it.

Once you have set your requirements and understand the products our there then I would start looking at prices etc.

Working on power output and measuring are two different things. It's easy to establish if you're gaining power without needing a power meter. If you wish to train using power output zones then the pm is obviously needed.

But are you so well trained that a power meter is going to benefit you Vs the financial outlay?

Exactly. For most of us average riders just riding a bit more or a bit faster will provide a training stimulus.

So you could have just focused on your heart rate and got the same effect? Or not, if so why?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19204572

Hmmm, always a bit skeptical of weekend warriors with power meters. At the moment having fun finishing most races in top 30-50 spot with no power meter. Just three rides a week with the mates.

I struggle to see the possible benefit of the power meter, I think I would need more time on bike to improve seriously.

I can see for pros that its a must, but weekend warriors... That being said its on my list, Carbon wheels then stages power meter :P

I see where Joe is coming from though.

For me its all about metrics and measurable data.

Still a power meter is not high on my list of things to get, there are other areas of cycling I would rather spend money first.

Where power meter-based training have been awesome is:

1. Clear measurement of effort / force through the pedals, whether it is windy or gusty, whether it is hot or cold, whether I am tired or fresh.

2. As a Vets cat racer, recovery is an art form. :huh:  I can measure my recovery rides more accurately and be fresher, readier for the next ears-bleeding' session, using power zones.

And for the other intensity zones as well.

3. Prepping for races is also awesome now as I can train with watts and establishing where the window is for 'form' or 'peaking', with the use of the power meter data (the powerTraining Stress Score) and training software (Training Stress Balance data).

Etc.

The value is all there if the cyclist is prepared to use it.

Consistently. With discipline. With dedication.

Like any improvement tool.

The leading brand, I reckon, is Stages.

Lets not worry about the cost right now. Like everyione I would like a cheap one to start with but if that is not an option then thats ok.

Some people drive 10 year old golfs and are happy others drive brand new top of the range bmw's...in the end both get you where you want to be.  

Its a personal preference thing. I like to measure, countify and compare.

Need to read a bit more but im leaning towards a crank based meter but its too early to decide.

Edited by JoeZipp

Lets not worry about the cost right now. I wanted something cheap but if that is not an option then thats ok. Some people drive 10 year old golfs and are happy others drive brand new top of the range bmw's...in the end both get you where you want to be. 

I like to measure, countify and compare.

Need to read a bit more but im leaning towards a crank based meter but its too early to decide.

Power2Max is an option taken by a few of my training buddies.

Also used MoviStar World Tour Team. 

Made by ze Germans.

Excellent distribution and after-sales here in ol' SA.

Lets not worry about the cost right now. Like everyione I would like a cheap one to start with but if that is not an option then thats ok.

Some people drive 10 year old golfs and are happy others drive brand new top of the range bmw's...in the end both get you where you want to be.  

Its a personal preference thing. I like to measure, countify and compare.

One of the guys has just picked up the stages, has been using it for a week. Consistent readings and uses it along with the Watt bikes. Says he is suffering plenty in the right zones.

Apparently its a little less fuss in terms of power meters.