Polar V650- better than Garmin 510?

Scott-ish

Hi Guys

I couldn't find a thread for this, so i thought i'd try.

I've been looking at the Polar v650 lately and think it has potential to be better than the Garmin 510. I'd like to find out from people out there that have owned the garmin and moved to polar or that have the Polar what their opinion is on it. Is it worth it? Should i move back to Polar?

Cheers,

Hi Guys

I couldn't find a thread for this, so i thought i'd try.

I've been looking at the Polar v650 lately and think it has potential to be better than the Garmin 510. I'd like to find out from people out there that have owned the garmin and moved to polar or that have the Polar what their opinion is on it. Is it worth it? Should i move back to Polar?

Cheers,

Polar still new, so probably no comparison reviews yet. Would also like to hear how they compare Edited by LOOK695

Brilliant unit, very nice looking with a nice big display and all the usual Polar functions.

Feel free to contact me if you are looking to get one .

Does it if temperature reading? Don't see it being mentioned on the Polar website?

Does it if temperature reading? Don't see it being mentioned on the Polar website?

It is supposed to but from reading rainmaker's comments section it doesnt look like it has been activated in the software yet.

Polar is famous for adding stuff after release so it will probably come with other meaninful updates.

Price wise and feature wise it looks like a brilliant unit.

According to DCrainman review there is a post dated March 14 from a chap who has one and he says:

"temperature is listed as a feature but no information is showed"

IMO the V650 is just to BIG, i hope they bring out a smaller version one day

It is supposed to but from reading rainmaker's comments section it doesnt look like it has been activated in the software yet.

Polar is famous for adding stuff after release so it will probably come with other meaninful updates.

Price wise and feature wise it looks like a brilliant unit.

Its a famous downfall unfortunately, instead of providing the basic stuff they do it in bits and pieces.

No, but then again I can just stick my nose out the window .

• 2 weeks later...

Got one this past weekend and I have used it twice so this will somewhat of a limited review.

I have also never used a Garmin device so I can't comment on the original question.

I bought the Polar V650 for the price (R3200) from LBS and because I needed a unit with a backlight for riding in the dark. I also needed to see duration, distance, speed, cadence & hr one one screen - I was using a Polar RCX3 watch previously and I could only get three readings at a time and no backlight.

So far the unit is great! It is large but I mount it on my neck stem and not on the handlebars which keeps it nicely in view and out of the way.

All my requirements are ticked off but there are some limitations I have found:

• Can't export training files in HRM format like the RCX3 unit can, but does offer TCX format which RCX3 does not.
  • Manually have to connect the unit to a laptop via USB to upload rides.
  • Can't automatically export rides to Strava - must be done manually. But then my RCX3 could not either so no real new problem here.

Polar does not play well with others.

So it wont link with Myfitnesspal or Strava or be downloaded to Golden Cheetah or Trainingpeaks.  Everything needs to be done manually.

That and the fact that I cannot match any power meter other than their own Polar, makes it a less useful device for me.

With my Garmin, I walk in the house and everything is auto uploaded via Wifi.

Can you upload routes into the V650? Need and GPS for Sani this year as the route is no longer marked. This looks like a good option, provided it can accept file uploads. Nice big screen and my eyes are failing...

Can you upload routes into the V650? Need and GPS for Sani this year as the route is no longer marked. This looks like a good option, provided it can accept file uploads. Nice big screen and my eyes are failing...

Not sure, This is not something I need so I have not tried it.

The DC Rainmaker review is extremely detailed, just bear in mind that it is fairly old and the unit under review was still in the `Beta` stage.

Things I`ve read about the V650;

(There are more but to me, these are some of the more important deciding factors when considering a cycling computer) 

Cons:

• Battery life only 10hours (rec every sec) - Poor in this day and age considering how long Polar had this unit under development.
  • Route upload done via Polar Flow (their web service), Therefore no mobile/tablet support.
  • Post workout stats available on unit but cant upload wirelessly via a mobile or wifi network. 
  • Still too new for a comprehensive review. Time will tell. If you are willing to wait, why not. Maybe if unit records every 5sec`s, battery life would be improved?!
  • Product information/Specs available on their website are very limited. 

Pro`s:

• Front `emergency` light
  • Zone (Heart Rate) based training, by a simple touch on each zone
  • Bluetooth Sensors (HR, Cadence and Speed), therefore if you forget your V650 at home, one could use his/her cellphone (preferably in their back pocket) purely to log ride/race, etc.
  • Cheaper than 510

Battery life plays a huge part, especially when forking out this amount of money for a training device....based on the fact that this will be used for many years.

Edited by david16v