How often do you ride alone?

Rocket-Boy

Many say that they ride alone 99% of the time. The thing is, good rat poison is about 99% excellent rat food, and 1% poison. The point I'm trying to convey is that if and when you are riding alone, don't be tamed by the plentiful times nothing has went wrong. always take extra precautions when riding alone. No loved one wished you to get hurt, so don't raise the possibility of doing so and take every precaution you have.

Like many of you do, a traceable sporting service like endomondo is a must, and so is an extensive repair kit for both you and the bike. This along side with someone who knows your planned route and most likely whereabouts.

Stay safe

(well that was my 2c worth) 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many say that they ride alone 99% of the time. The thing is, good rat poison is about 99% excellent rat food, and 1% poison. The point I'm trying to convey is that if and when you are riding alone, don't be tamed by the plentiful times nothing has went wrong. always take extra precautions when riding alone. No loved one wished you to get hurt, so don't raise the possibility of doing so and take every precaution you have.

Like many of you do, a traceable sporting service like endomondo is a must, and so is an extensive repair kit for both you and the bike. This along side with someone who knows your planned route and most likely whereabouts.

Stay safe

(well that was my 2c worth) 

While I accept what you are saying to a point, the way I see it is life comes with all sorts of risks every single day, and while I will try minimize risk I can never get away from it completely.

Sure, I could get hurt (heck, I scraped myself across the tar on Monday) or robbed or even killed doing what I love, but on the flip side, I could also have a perfectly safe ride and come home, slip in the shower and die.

If I let the chance of something happening stop me from doing things I would be hiding under my blankets all day, until it dawned on me that the blankets could suffocate me  and I could fall out the bed and die... ;)

Obviously, I am not saying I am going to go walking through Hillbrow with a pile of money begging people to try take it off me or anything like that... haha

Ride on my own about 60% of the time.

More concerned about a bikejacking ,that a loss of skill thou.

So always consider this fact when on my own.

Rode two weeks overseas in tech trail,and hardly knowing the terrain.

Considered the risk,and stayed mainly within my limitations,most of the time.

Great fun to ride on your own,just try to know your own skill level,and stay within it,also consider the unexpected,such as as ,potholes ,wet and loose rocks, overhanging branches,snakes,front wheel washouts,etc.

I mtb alone every weekend, and with a group in the week (at night). Security is not really a concern for me, but I definitely take less risks when I ride alone. I also carry ALL my tools  :) Some common sense goes a long way!

In the week 90% I ride alone!

It also scares me what would happen if I'm on the trails and had an accident....most of the time I ride 10km on the road to get to local trails and that also scares me as now a days people dont look at the cyclists while driving.

and all that to get training in and those extra few kms

Do you by any chance use Internet Explorer as a browser?

the situation dictates how safety concious you are...  i cycled alone in alaska for days on end without a cellhpone or any other emergency contact device, 25000km away from anything or anybody i knew, in bear country on roads that are not often travelled...  you know the risks and you plan accordingly.  enough food, enough repair kit, listen to your body, eat and rest well, be alert and mindful of your surroundings (storms, bears, wolves etc.), didn't ride like a hooligan etc.  if i ride alone 20km's from home for training in the afternoon, I only take a cellhpone and admit to do stupid stuff often

Ride on my own about 90% of the time, I commute to work and back and try to hook up with any one on the road but this is not always possible since I cycle in the early ours of the morning.

Yesterday I decided to go for a cycle by myself, my usual riding buddies werent keen and I needed to get on my MTB.

I have done this many times before and its never been a problem so I figured why not?

Half way through in a steep off camber section I got my sidewall sliced through, instant flat and fell down an embankment into a tree. Fortunately I wasnt hurt aside from my pride but I was stuck with a bad sidewall cut that I couldnt fix. 

This resulted in a nice long 8k walk back to the carpark.

After reading about the guy in the cradle having broken 9 ribs I have to wonder how good an idea that really was.

Safety in terms of crime isnt a problem on the route so that isnt a concern, but if I had broken ribs, broken collarbone and a punctured lung then I would have been in serious poo.

I didnt see another rides on that particular trail the whole way back and I had left my cycling cellphone at home because it was flat. I guess being more prepared would help but it wouldnt make much difference in a serious accident.

So who else rides alone and has thought about stuff like that?

I always ride alone and I've had a few 10km hikes myself due to broken spokes etc.

I also always make sure to have a full cellphone battery and airtime.

Carry that bike like you mean it!  :thumbup:

Very funny story about a dude who dislocated both shoulders while on a ride. The frustration of trying to fix yourself when your arms aren't working! No nearby help, not sure how one would phone in that state. Ended ok but I remember him saying how he was barely useful for a while after that.

http://nomadicbrood.com/captains-log-day-90/

I mostly ride on my own, and have had a few bad crashes doing so. One deep in the Transkei, but that won't stop me. I love exploring for new routes, and value the me time, although it's fun riding with some one else too.

As to security, I've not yet felt threatened, whether its riding in the Transkei, or our local villages. I think the fact that I speak Xhosa well, and am always ready to stop and chat with whoever also helps.

I commute alone daily, not a big deal since it is only 5 to14km depending on the route. I go alone on long rides 80% of the time. 

I do a lot of riding on my own, I enjoy the solitude and me time.

This weekend I was riding with my girlfriend in the Spruit and had an accident where I cut my knee open and needed to get to hospital. The whole accident just helped me to assess whether I am prepared when I ride and do I actually know what to do in an emergency? We were 20km from home etc etc and for some minutes struggled to work out a plan. Everything worked out and I am grateful that I did not cycle alone.

Lessons learned for me (whether cycling alone or not):

1. I have no Emergency services numbers on my phone neither do I know how these services work.....
  2. I had no clue what my medical plan will cover, can I phone an ambulance etc etc.
  3. Luckily she had some bandage, plaster and anti- inflammatories, those things I would normally smirk at :whistling:

My take out from this weekend is simply that I need to be better prepared over-all and not just be satisfied that I have enough tools, a charged phone and some water and eats. Being well prepared is more comprehensive than just that. I am grateful for the lesson.

Happy cycling.

There is a facebook group called why ride alone. I have picked up a few riding buddies off that.

Also whatsapp has a feature where you can send location of up to 5m accuracy from where you are - i have told my wife and a few mates if all you get is a location from me, come and get me lol 

There is a facebook group called why ride alone. I have picked up a few riding buddies off that.

Also whatsapp has a feature where you can send location of up to 5m accuracy from where you are - i have told my wife and a few mates if all you get is a location from me, come and get me lol 

where is this feature on Whatsapp ?