Doing the Epic on Banting Diet

I'm not normally compelled to write a blog or contribute to a forum, but I thought that I should share my experience of this year's Epic on the Banting or LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) diet. I was repeatedly told before the event that it is not recommended to ride this gruelling event without carbs, that I would surely run out of energy and suffer. Even the race nutritionist from Woolies echoed these sentiments.

I have been eating no sugar or carbs for the past 18 months and have done some events like the Sani2C and other marathon races throughout last year and the beginning of this year without any energy issues... but almost 7 ultras in a row? That was the question and it seriously stressed me out before this year's Epic. I searched all over the internet to get answers and advice, but not much there and a lot of contradicting information. Yes, no, maybe. Make up your minds, would you? I decided to stick to my nutrition and persevered. My teammate (a carb-muncher) and I trained together and were basically riding at the same level and had similar fitness going into this race, so it would be a good comparison.

I'm also no racing snake, so was not aiming for a podium or top 100 finish. I was aiming to finish before the cut-off times each day... full stop. We trained to ride at 75% to 85% of max HR.

So this is how it went... We finished in 299th GC (just in the top half out of 621 teams) and 89th in the Masters - we're both in our mid forties. I was amazed at how strong I felt throughout the race (all 8 days). Especially strong at the finishing stages of each day, where many teams were backing off and struggling to finish. I ended up always driving my teammate to the finish as he was finding it harder to fuel himself towards the end of each stage, especially during the latter stages of the event. I also did some pushing up-hills and creating a draft/slipstream during the windy stages. Also, it looked like my recovery was faster as I started pretty fresh each next day, unlike my partner.

The water points did not cater for low carb at all, so I carried my own nutrition throughout the race:

1. Almonds and dry berry mix

2. Cabanossi (nice and fatty)

3. Home made fat-bomb gels in a squeezee bottle (macadamia nut butter, coconut oil, cocoa, and a dash of honey)... YUM!

4. Low-carb rehydration (electrolyte) mix - I used a combination of USN Zero Carb Rehydrator and Drip-Drop (medical grade rehydration supplement powder I recently discovered)

I also found that I did not eat any more than I would have during my normal daily routine, with moderate training. My typical evening meals were steak, lamb or pork and veggies. Fatty bacon and eggs for breakfast (of course)

So, it worked for me. In fact, I have never felt stronger during previous long races / rides and still have no idea why I felt so good during this Epic. I can't attribute my strength to the diet alone as we did put in a lot of training, but I have been riding for in excess of 20 years and have never felt this level of sustained energy and endurance for such a long time.

So, the long and short of it is that it is VERY POSSIBLE to do a great Epic on the Banting diet. As long as you have some body fat... you have fuel.

Edited by Riff

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found on LCHF that my burst speed was slower but that my over times for endurance events were better. Seems fat holds you for longer than carbs but doesnt provide as much kick.

This is the guy to find out about LCHF and sports though: 

http://eatingacademy.com/category/sports-and-nutrition

He does some pretty hectic endurance events on LCHF and does a lot of testing based around it.

I'm sure it's possible but I'd like to quote almost every European road soigneur.

"If you want to go fast you need sugar".

My opinion (I'm not a doctor/nutritionist/medical dude) - fats/oils are fine for LSD style Epics but your body has the ability to use energy faster than it can turn fats/oils into energy so when you're flatboxing it you need sugar*

*this is what my amateur research and field tests have taught me - if there are medical experts out there I'd love you to prove me wrong!

I'm sure it's possible but I'd like to quote almost every European road soigneur.

My opinion (I'm not a doctor/nutritionist/medical dude) - fats/oils are fine for LSD style Epics but your body has the ability to use energy faster than it can turn fats/oils into energy so when you're flatboxing it you need sugar*

*this is what my amateur research and field tests have taught me - if there are medical experts out there I'd love you to prove me wrong!

i know a guy :ph34r: he has another story for you,

I could copy and paste the OP's post as my experience riding the Sani2C on a Banting diet. Good to know you can do it for much longer in a much tougher race. 

You're absolutely right, if you want to sprint and red-line above 90%, but not in the Epic. You'd simply die trying to do that.

i know a guy :ph34r: he has another story for you,

EPO? I love Evening Primrose Oil. Makes my skin nice and smooth.

Eerste Plek Opkikkers are also good*

*please note this is quote from a mate who's hub nick I know not...

Eish, I see the results now show us at 300 (my downloaded certificate says 299, so I'm sticking to that)  :thumbup:

Edited by Riff

I could copy and paste the OP's post as my experience riding the Sani2C on a Banting diet. Good to know you can do it for much longer in a much tougher race. 

Oddly enough I find fats/oils and proteins more important as the hours increase.

>2 hours I'm fine on plain old Powerade and Bananas.

2-3 hours a little protein helps - peanut butter too.

>3 hours I like 20% protein 80% carbs.

You're absolutely right, if you want to sprint and red-line above 90%, but not in the Epic. You'd simply die trying to do that.

Yes and no. Closer to the front the racing is far more variable with teams breaking away, lightweights attacking on hills, bigger guys smashing the flats, less technical teams having to catch up after tricky descents etc.

These are the times you spend in the red zone - sugar will allow you to do this whereas protein/fats/oils will effectively put you in debt and require a bit of a recovery.

Middle and back of the field you can choose your own pace - front of the field you're sometimes forced into big efforts.

Yes and no. Closer to the front the racing is far more variable with teams breaking away, lightweights attacking on hills, bigger guys smashing the flats, less technical teams having to catch up after tricky descents etc.

These are the times you spend in the red zone - sugar will allow you to do this whereas protein/fats/oils will effectively put you in debt and require a bit of a recovery.

Middle and back of the field you can choose your own pace - front of the field you're sometimes forced into big efforts.

I agree fully. Hence my title: "Doing the Epic..." and not "Winning the Epic..."

I agree fully. Hence my title: "Doing the Epic..." and not "Winning the Epic..."

Sure - to a point. Super steep hills that require max effort will also put you into "energy debt" if your fuel of choice is fat/oil rather than sugar.

This just detracts from your point though. I agree that the Epic is absolutely possible on a banting diet. I wouldn't do it but there's no reason why banters shouldn't as long as they understand the limitations.

Disclaimer: I think the Banting diet is a load of codswallop so I am rather biased :whistling:

Sure - to a point. Super steep hills that require max effort will also put you into "energy debt" if your fuel of choice is fat/oil rather than sugar.

This just detracts from your point though. I agree that the Epic is absolutely possible on a banting diet. I wouldn't do it but there's no reason why banters shouldn't as long as they understand the limitations.

Disclaimer: I think the Banting diet is a load of codswallop so I am rather biased :whistling:

Interesting you mention that. I rode all the hills except the one the pros pushed. HR at +95%, and no problems with recovering for what was to follow. The hills were brutal, with large numbers pushing. The hill after the quarry on the last day was a killer and pushed by most... i forced myself to ride it.

I was a sceptic too, for a long time, but now this experience seriously surprised me after 20 years of cycling.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of the benefits. Just sharing my experience as there was very little 'real experiences' on the interweb for me to refer to. Just letting other LCHF followers know that it worked for me (just for me and may be different for others)