Help on Buying a Giant Anthem

Attie Lourens

Hi Guys.

I'm looking at buying a Giant Anthem. I have given the Trance a thought but think the Anthem will suit my type of riding a bit better.

My problem is choosing between the 29er and 27.5(650b).

I can get the following new.

2015 Anthem X 29er for R24 700.

2015 Anthem 27.5 for  R28 800.

2014 Anthem 27.5 for  R26 500.

The 27.5 is slightly better specced than the 29er.

Also second hand on the hub is a 2014 Anthem 27.5 in what looks to be a good condition for R22 000.(don't now if the price is ok for second hand though).

Your thoughts please.

I would buy new. Giant has a fantastic replacement policy. I cracked my Anthem carbon frame last year and I had a new frame built up and ready in less than a week.

Partly too because of my LBS, but a lifetime warranty is priceless...

Hi Guys.

I'm looking at buying a Giant Anthem. I have given the Trance a thought but think the Anthem will suit my type of riding a bit better.

My problem is choosing between the 29er and 27.5(650b).

I can get the following new.

2015 Anthem X 29er for R24 700.

2015 Anthem 27.5 for  R28 800.

2014 Anthem 27.5 for  R26 500.

The 27.5 is slightly better specced than the 29er.

Also second hand on the hub is a 2014 Anthem 27.5 in what looks to be a good condition for R22 000.(don't now if the price is ok for second hand though).

Your thoughts please.

Dont buy it 2nd hand for that close to the price of a new one. 

Frame warranty is only for original purchaser and its a seriously good warranty.

Personally Im happy with my 29er, tried an anthem 27.5 and glad I have the 29.

I bought 2  very good used anthem,s on the hub .Never had a problem .If there are some extras like tubeless conversion and proper tires on the used one .I would consider that ! .Small and skinny go for 27,5 .If you weigh 80kg and more or if you are tall 29er all the way 

Don't let anyone tell you that your choice between the 29er and 650B is dictated by your weight and height. My wife rides a Cannondale Rush 29er and it suits her like a glove - she is 168cm and weighs 53kg. 

Take both derivatives for a spin and decide for yourself. If your main riding is XCM type, go for the 29er, especially if your current rig is also a 29er. 

I have the 2014 Anthem 27.5 1, I went from a full 26er to the anthem. The bike rocks, it's agile and FAST, downhill's and uphills are no problem, it climbs like a mountain goat. I paid R25K for my Anthem brand new.

Thanks for all the advice.

I actually just sold my 26 dual sus silverback mercury so either wheel size will be bigger. Must say I'm leaning towards the 29er.

I actually just sold my 26 dual sus silverback mercury so either wheel size will be bigger. Must say I'm leaning towards the 29er.

The ideal would be to try and ride both to see which feels best.

i would saythe better choice. unless you are very short.say below 1.6m . Ridden both and 29er rocks.

Hi Attie,

Just my 2c, as I have ridden both wheel sizes on Anthem X's quite extensively and have test ridden the 26" as well. Currently have AX Advanced 27.5 (but that's for another day  :thumbup:  talking about my baby)

Go and test ride these bikes, preferably somewhere where you've ridden allot before.  They are miles apart from each other in my opinion.

I personally believe more in Geo, perfect fitment (handlebars/stems/fitment) and engine issues than wheel sizes.

From my experience everything I never got used to on the AX29 (rode for 2years) as far as handling and geo, they fixed on the 27.5. The maestro design has also been tweaked for the 27.5 wheel. Also, the whole bike was designed from scratch, i.e. no "old" part was used in designing the 27.5. I did as much reading as available on these bikes and sometimes you will see that guys mention that the maestro design isn't ideal for the 29er wheel, thus the reason for the long chain-stays that everyone mentions/notices but not necessary complain about. To be honest, I think Giant is trying to keep this quite. With Giant only stating that 29er weren't exactly right for them. The dimensions of the front vs rear triangle changed quite allot on the 27.5 versus the AX29.

The AX29 felt to me like a boring bike, but felt alive when pushed hard, and that's what Anthems are supposed to do. The harder you push it, the more lively the bike becomes. :drool:

The 27.5 is just all round a much more fun bike. I just cannot get over how awesome this bike rides and handles. Downhills are also allot more fun and engaging. With the best way to sum up the 27.5 being brilliantly balanced.

Look, don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved my AX29, and it serves it purpose as an all day out epic/stage race ride bike in its full right. They don't tell you that on the website for nothing. I don't want to step on any toes, but this bike compares to the best stage race bikes out there. Just a different "look".

I do however have a Niner HT, which feels much better (considering points mentioned above) than the AX29. So I'm not anti 29er.

As far as frame replacement, I haven't heard someone not getting his frame replaced in a reasonable time from the supplier.

Again, this is just my experience. Go and Ride.... :clap:

Hi. I have the 2014 Anthem X1 29er and it is the best bike I have ever ridden. It fits and suites ME like a glove. I have tried the inbetweener and for ME there was no comparison; the 29er won on every level for the riding I do. However, you will need to try both and decide for yourself.

Ride and choose, good luck!

If you plan on doing lots of long distance or stage races go 29er. The 27.5 has a better geometry and will  be more fun in singletrack and shorter xc type rides. If you go 29er a wheel upgrade is a must, 27.5 will be better with no wheel upgrade but begs for better wheels too.

I have an almost new 2014 anthem x 29er medium with ztr arch ex wheelset im considering selling if you're interested . since I bought my trance I hardly ever ride it any more . pm me

I have an almost new 2014 anthem x 29er medium with ztr arch ex wheelset im considering selling if you're interested . since I bought my trance I hardly ever ride it any more . pm me

If he doesn't take it, I may also be keen. Please let me know.

What wheel size is your trance?

The Anthem 27.5 X with the 120mm fork also looks interesting but for the rocky, sandy tracks of the western cape, 29ers rock. If I stayed in KZN or somewhere with smoother trails and single track, the 27.5 is the puppies nuts