Commuter MTB Tyres

D-Mike

I ride a 26inch MTB for my commute. I am currently using Maxxis Crossmark Tubeless tyres, which I am quite happy with. For the last couple of months, I have not seen these available in the shops and I am starting to look at alternatives. What tyres would you recommend, keeping in mind that most of my riding is on tar.

• 2 months later...

I have noted that getting 26" tyres are becoming a hectic experience.  The one shop close by, does not stock them anymore, or every time I get there they do not have any in stock.

I am starting to look for a very cheap 29" bike now, out of desperation.

I've got 4 x Continental CityContact 26" tyres hanging in the garage. It came off our Surlys, but definitely need to hang on to them...

Best bet would be to order some in from CRC or a European online shop.

I bought a set of Vrendenstein Killer Bee tyres a few months ago.  Found them in my garage last week and fitted them.  So I am sorted for the next 3 to 8 months.

Will check the other shops in Pretoria.  Did not know that the 29" revolution will be this great.

what about conti town and country?

cotac1-1.jpg

When I was a dumb rookie mtber I did my 1st Baberton on a set on these.

Only had 3 wipeouts on that big downhill.

I am in the exact same boat as you. Was using crossmarks and struggled to get end of last year. Now got conti race king protection. Also mainly ride tar and pavement. So far they lasting but do about 6000km a year on the bike so will see how ling they last.

Specialized Crossroads armadillo 

I built up a 26er ss commuter a year ago or so. I've sold it since. But these were the tyres I chose. They only come in 26. They're a bit on the heavy side but if you are commuting everyday on tar with an occational dirt road for good measure these won't disappoint.

Tough as nails

http://www.steveandamysly.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/image_biketires1.jpg

http://www.dalescycles.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/a56fef83c43f94ddf83c8db8c0c2ee0a.jpg

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/cityurban-tires/multi-terrain-use-tires/crossroads-armadillo#features

I must say that I went to a cycle shop for gloves today.  Checked out tires.  One set of 26" tires.  Think Maxxis or something like that.  But I can't afford to pay R599-99 per tire at the moment.

The reason I don't want to pay more than R300 per tire is that I have written off more than one tire since the start of this year.  So to fork out R599 for a tire just because some dumb ass decided to litter the road with blades and crap is not going to do it anymore for me.  I use a bike two reasons.  I am not paid a lot of money per month and I can't afford spending R2500 per month on petrol just to get home and to the office.  And I want to get my fitness levels up again.