First Ascent Pro Elite Cycling Shorts

Dru

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bibs and the padding are very personal. I'm lucky and I don't mind very little or lots of padding. When I ordered DC kit people (all very established cyclists) preferences varied from little padding to diaper type padding. Personally I prefer brands where the material lasts long and doesnt go see-through after a season or two.

Edited by FanieFiets

When I used first ascent I thought it was God's gift to the bum. Then I discovered Santini, Craft and Assos. First ascent lycra and pads perish within a year. The expensive models become see through and the cheapies pads disintgrate. Buy Santini or craft for nearly the same money. Save up and get a pair of Assos for raceday.

Bibs and the padding are very personal. I'm lucky and I don't mind very little or lots of padding. When I ordered DC kit people (all very established cyclists) preferences varied from little padding to diaper type padding. Personally I prefer brands where the material lasts long and doesnt go see-through after a season or two.

So I'm not the only one to see this! :eek:  And once seen it can never be unseen... :blush:

Hahaha, true. I will tell the story. Actually wanted to start a blog to record my journey into MTB. Lol. 

Will go for the Pro Elite, actually saw that Sportsmans Warehouse can save me 100 Bucks  ;) . Same pants for 1000 bucks. Hahaha. Thanks!

If you are on Discovery, get the Health Gear Card and you will save a further 25% at sportsmans

I dont see what the fuss is about shorts vs baggies vs bibs. To me its not about how I look, its about comfort.

If you are looking for comfort then nothing comes close to bibs for that.

I went through a few cheapies before my wife bought me some spez ones and it was a lightbulb moment.

I dont skimp on bibs anymore they are probably the biggest factor in comfort over long rides.

I dont see what the fuss is about shorts vs baggies vs bibs. To me its not about how I look, its about comfort.

If you are looking for comfort then nothing comes close to bibs for that.

I went through a few cheapies before my wife bought me some spez ones and it was a lightbulb moment.

I dont skimp on bibs anymore they are probably the biggest factor in comfort over long rides.

Agreed,can't beat a bib for comfort especially if it's along ride on a hot day. Have numerous of both (baggies & bibs) have a first ascent pro elite gel and find it very very comfortable. It is probably my joint fav with my cannondale bib. The gel padding doesn't feel that thick ( maybe that's why it's so comfy) but damn it works well.The pro elite is about a year old and still shows no signs of wear. But I always wash in the bag that came with it.

As everyone else has said don't skimp on the quality or your Jacksy &minerals won't thank you for it.

I too thought First ascent was amazing and was pretty much getting a new pair every 12 months (every day commuting), until I got a pair of Craft shorts and now I wouldn't buy First Ascent again.

I have a dilemma .When trying on these more expensive items, do you keep your underpants on or not? If you do you cannot get a true sense of the comfort,if you dont ,who tried them on before me!!

First Ascent have a very good returns policy, so anyone who has an issue with their items should write them an email explaining the situation. Not making any promises but I was pleasantly surprised.

I personally think it varies between person to person, I am very happy with my First Ascent Pro Elite shorts. I am also not keen on bib shorts.

It all comes down to saddle time and getting the correct saddle to suit your anatomy.

Spending R 2k + on shorts is not necessarily going to make your ride more comfy...

just my 2c worth.

Hahaha, true. I will tell the story. Actually wanted to start a blog to record my journey into MTB. Lol. 

Will go for the Pro Elite, actually saw that Sportsmans Warehouse can save me 100 Bucks  ;) . Same pants for 1000 bucks. Hahaha. Thanks!

if you are with discovery vitality, you can get CASHBACK - TADA! at sportsmans now

NO baggies on road.

NO lycra off road.

NO bibs full stop.

that's all fine and well until your "gooch" starts hurting...