Bike Computer Advice: Newbie

Dru

Advice needed: I'm a noob just getting into the world of MTB, and busy kitting up. Was looking around for a cheapie Bike Computer just to keep track of my rides (Speed, Distance, etc.), nothing fancy for now until I get the hang of this. 

Came across the FLUID 10 Function Bicycle Computer selling at Makro (Yes, that dreaded shop), for R169. You guys think it's any good, and will it serve my purposes till I need to splash out on the Garmin's etc.?

http://www.makro.co.za/sports-and-outdoor/fluid-10-function-bicycle-computer-278977EA

Thanks guys!

Edited by Dru

If you own a smartphone, check out Strava or Endomondo.

Cost's nothing, and you can keep track of your rides.

Will do. Actually just found an old iPhone 4s while rummaging through storage, so will try that. Does it keep accurate track of speed etc.? The other challenge is obviously finding a decent holder/clamp for it to strap onto bar, and obviously one that will hold steady even on rough terrain. Any ideas? Thx

Will do. Actually just found an old iPhone 4s while rummaging through storage, so will try that. Does it keep accurate track of speed etc.? The other challenge is obviously finding a decent holder/clamp for it to strap onto bar, and obviously one that will hold steady even on rough terrain. Any ideas? Thx

Put it in your backpack (camelback) , if you be able to look @ it, on your handlebar, stem, or so ... you to slow anyway. :whistling:

Better it is out of sight, than no one will steal it, and it can not fall off.

Does it keep accurate track of speed etc.?

Yes it does, just with the occasional limits, of a couple of meters and seconds, but nothing to serious.

Advice needed: I'm a noob just getting into the world of MTB, and busy kitting up. Was looking around for a cheapie Bike Computer just to keep track of my rides (Speed, Distance, etc.), nothing fancy for now until I get the hang of this.

Came across the FLUID 10 Function Bicycle Computer selling at Makro (Yes, that dreaded shop), for R169. You guys think it's any good, and will it serve my purposes till I need to splash out on the Garmin's etc.?

http://www.makro.co.za/sports-and-outdoor/fluid-10-function-bicycle-computer-278977EA

Thanks guys!

don't know the brand, but these things are pretty generic now.

Phone in your pocket doesn't help on the bike,I think you'll use the current speed and total distance read outs to keep you motivated

don't know the brand, but these things are pretty generic now.

Phone in your pocket doesn't help on the bike,I think you'll use the current speed and total distance read outs to keep you motivated

Thx Shebeen, that's what I was going for. Wanna be able to get data as I ride as opposed to riding blindly, or only checking info when I stop. Especially now as i start out, want to be able to track my progress, and get feedback as I ride. 

I know the running apps for instance give you voice feedback e.g. pace and distance as you train, but earphones are also not on my list at this stage. Thx. Looking around and can see there are quite a few generic ones out there.

If you planning to go GPs later then go to ballistic bike and get a bryton rider 20 gps unit. I paid less than 800 bucks brand new from them 2 months back. Won't get a better deal on GPS

If you are going for "simple" type of computer then get one with cadence.

It's a good habit to get into to keep a high cadence something that does not develop naturally.

Check the classifieds, I'm selling wahoo bike mounts for iPhone 4, make me an offer :-)

Agree with comment about Endomondo and strava, more than enough until you are serious about a dedicated device like Garmin 510 or so

Check our Wahoo for phone holders and apps. Strava et al are great for post ride wank but useless for inride info,  I started a thread on this a while ago, But I had to do my own research,

Cyclemeter is probably the best iphone app for this purpose, Android best app is IpBike.

Check our Wahoo for phone holders and apps. Strava et al are great for post ride wank but useless for inride info,  I started a thread on this a while ago, But I had to do my own research,

Cyclemeter is probably the best iphone app for this purpose, Android best app is IpBike.

:eek:

I was carrying my phone in my backpack and it worked fine.

Yesterday I was at Johnsons in Edenvale and saw they had a small pouch with cell holder on the top. Mounts on the crossbar. Purchased it for R300 odd and it works great. Took it out on yesterday's ride and no complaints.