Can I use MTB Shoes on Flats

jth

Hey Guys 

So not sure if i made a mistake, beginner here!

So i have been riding with my nike training shoes and they were not comfy

so i went out and bought a pair of Specialized entry level MTB shoes

The question is can i use these MTB shoes on my Flats, or did i just waste money

I don't want to get into the whole debate clip less or not and personally i don't know wether or not i will go 

the clip less route(time will tell)

But for now do I ride with the MTB shoes on my flats or return them before its too late

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont think they will grip properly? Does not make sense, do you perhaps have a pic of the shoes? As normal clipless on flats just sounds a bit dangerous/odd?

I ride flats, with MTB shoes for flats (five10's), but i'll never put my clipless on to ride on flats, they'll be worse than even flip-flops

Sure you can...but at some point not far into your ride it's going to hurt like a mutha$&@#%!

Nothing like a few studs on a flat pedal burying themselves in your shin to screwi up your morning.

So you can, but it's a really really bad idea

Agree with the others, I wouldn't recommend it.

You should look at something like the Specialized Cadet Shoe.  Its stiffer than a takkie so more like a mtb shoe, but still has the comfort of a takkie.  Nice thing is if you decide to try cleats one day then you just have to cut out a little insert at the bottom and you can convert the shoe.

Thanks guys

I think we should close this topic before the sarcasm bug hits everyone

Appreciate those who have positive comments

Too late for that.

But go to Tekkie Town and get yourself a pair of Hi-Tec Figaro's at about R400/R500.

They are great and grip like hell.

Or get new pedals so you can clip in.

What type of riding do you do - if mostly XC then get some clipless pedals.

Flats are more for single-track and the techie stuff.

(in Guateng you don't need flats)

Thanks guys

I think we should close this topic before the sarcasm bug hits everyone

Appreciate those who have positive comments

I would like to understand how you came about buying those shoes?

For instance, did you see other people wear them and then thought they must be the shoes for all MTBing? Or was it a sales person that told you that if you ride MTB that is THE shoe? Or or?

You said you are new to the sport, so how did you go about buying those specific shoes?

If you can still return those shoes - do it, do it now.

You've been told they don't work for flats - so no need hearing it again from me.

If you were thinking about getting clipless pedals because you now have the shoes already; my advice: The rubber compound on those soles are really not worth it if you plan to use them for trails, especially when getting into MTB, you'll be hopping on-off the bike in tricky sections.  Just from jabbing in corners on trails every now and then, I've completely ripped most of the rubber from the soles - it breaks out in chunks.  Sure I ride fairly aggressive, and appreciate that these are entry level shoes at mid level prices, but they're more suited to relaxed rides where walking and jabbing is kept to a minimum.

Super comfy though, looks pretty good.