Standard Bank Ironman 2016 (10 April)

Garfield2010

Gents whats the views on how many bottles to carry.  I only have 1 bottle cage on my old Cervello P2.

I was considering buying the rear 2 bottle cage but I have mates who have only had issues with them.

Considering there is a waterpoint effectively every 22.5km on the route surely one bottle is enough and just get another at each point?

This is my first IMSA  so please dont shoot me down if this view seems retarded

consider this if you want to carry and extra bottle https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/176794-profile-design-tt-bar-hydration-bottles/

otherwise just drop your empty bottle at the water point and collect a full one

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This weekend is going to be a tough one. My training plan (Joe Friel) has a big day workout planned for Saturday: 1 hr swim, rest 1.5 hrs; bike 5 hrs; rest 1.5 hrs; run 2 hrs.

When I did my 1st Ironman 2 years ago I did not do anything like this and it was a big mental struggle on the day, so I think this workout might be good for confidence. I am just worried about injury, but luckily the pace must be Ironman pace.

I believe this was the most crucial session in my prep for my maiden IM last year. You start early and finish late which mimics the race unlike e.g. a 200km bike ride. To me it was surprisingly easy: the 1.5 hr rest does wonders in between and I felt fresh starting every leg.

This year I'm doing two "long days" in prep.

This year will be better because the crowds will be there all the way.  Could be hotter as well as the buildings keep the heat.

Hehehe... interesting how people differ. I don't look forward being in that crowd 'frenzy' all the time. I actually enjoyed the quiet university parts.

Gents whats the views on how many bottles to carry.  I only have 1 bottle cage on my old Cervello P2.

I was considering buying the rear 2 bottle cage but I have mates who have only had issues with them.

Considering there is a waterpoint effectively every 22.5km on the route surely one bottle is enough and just get another at each point?

I carry two bottles because of nutritional demands rather than thirst alone. I try to take 300-400 kcal per hour and prefer liquid forms on the bike. To get that much you from a station you need to stop and combine offerings. Two frozen bottles on the bike and grabbed gels/water gets me through the bike without stopping.

I think the decision should be made with nutrition in mind, not just hydration.

O, and by the way: I bought a cheap plastic bottle cage, seated it on a piece of foam rubber and tied it with cable ties to my aero bar. Works perfectly @ about R80 or so...

Two comments, first separate your hydration from Nutritional needs, secondly I would not trust the dilution ratio of the supplied supplements.

Are you willing to sacrifice ALL your training on race day to an unknown source...

It really doesnt have too.  A lot is mental.

The first hour I enjoy being off the bike stretching my legs, taking in the fact that I will complete the Ironman as mechanicals wont stop me etc...

This year will be better because the crowds will be there all the way.  Could be hotter as well as the buildings keep the heat.

From 10 - 20km I try and figure out what marathon time I could be looking at.  I also make sure I eat and drink properly.  After 20km you are halfway - massive psycological barrier.  Before you know it you are at 30km meaning every single step you take is the last of this lap.

Start planning your celebrations.  In need start thinking of beer.  Then have been afterwards.

If you go throug a bad patch, stop at an aid station and soak yourself with the ice spunges.  Incredible what your body can do when you lower its core temperature.

You will however need to train with wet shoes to ensure you are use to it. (blisters etc)

Cavemans solution for wet shoes... might be a plan if you don't like wet and heavy shoes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnhQ9wde1mQ&feature=youtu.be&a

2 bottles are probably a good idea especially if you like plain water and a separate energy drink or one of those who drinks a lot... 22.5 km can be a long way and trying to coordinate your thirst with the water points every 22 km does not always work out well.

You can get a "torpedeo mount" (see Xlab website link below) that fits between and attaches with Velcro straps around your TT bars, install a conventional water bottle cage to the torpedo mount (which is essentially a flat piece of material with elongated holes for the cage attachment and position adjustment)

http://www.xlab-usa.com/products/aerobar-systems.html

Edited by SwissVan

What works for me is a bottle system in front at the handle bars and one holder behind my seat.

The front is nice cuz you can fill up with water the whole way and then also drop electrolyte tablets in.

The rear has a super strong race mix in (normally 5 times stronger than recommended) but from this I just sip and chew every now and then.

As mentioned the "mix" on route is very unreliable and thos bottles are not sealed so you could get ill. The pump water bottles can however be trusted.

You need to take in 500 calories per hour roughly so go do the math..........

I am toying with the idea of carrying no bottles, last year the first water point was about 1 km from the start of the bike leg... so if similar just take a bottle from there. Keep the nutritional liquids in transition bags and use their liquids for the cycle... the liquid stations are close enough as you point out and with the new course one will get to them sooner. Last year I started with 2 full bottles and the one I never really touched anyway as I kept getting new ones. I am also a believer that we tend to carry too much **** on the bike.

of course, I have to add that I do not get nutrition (or much of it) from the liquids, I carry a couple of gels and hot cross bun etc.

So yes, carry one should suffice, there will be high 5 en route and at least 400 mils in each bottle. That should be good enough for 45 minutes, if not you can always stop and gulp another. Unless you going for an age group win a couple of minutes here or there is negligible.

Edit: if you find this is insufficient you can always carry another bottle in your jersey.

Edited by IceCreamMan

I am toying with the idea of carrying no bottles, last year the first water point was about 1 km from the start of the bike leg... so if similar just take a bottle from there. Keep the nutritional liquids in transition bags and use their liquids for the cycle... the liquid stations are close enough as you point out and with the new course one will get to them sooner. Last year I started with 2 full bottles and the one I never really touched anyway as I kept getting new ones. I am also a believer that we tend to carry too much **** on the bike.

of course, I have to add that I do not get nutrition (or much of it) from the liquids, I carry a couple of gels and hot cross bun etc.

So yes, carry one should suffice, there will be high 5 en route and at least 400 mils in each bottle. That should be good enough for 45 minutes, if not you can always stop and gulp another. Unless you going for an age group win a couple of minutes here or there is negligible.

Edit: if you find this is insufficient you can always carry another bottle in your jersey.

If it was the old route I would say yes as there is a lot of climbing on the first 45km so carrying dead weight is not ideal.

New route your weight will not make a big difference.  Its risky to carry no bottles accept if you genuinly know where the waterpoints are and also if you are willing to actually stop in need to ensure you get what you need.  I doubt you will as the idea of carrying no bottles tells me you want to save every second already.

What you need to focus on is the rough roads so ensure everything is tight and bottles can dislodge easily.

I have ordered 25mm tubbies and will go 6 bar to try and ease the pain

If it was the old route I would say yes as there is a lot of climbing on the first 45km so carrying dead weight is not ideal.

New route your weight will not make a big difference.  Its risky to carry no bottles accept if you genuinly know where the waterpoints are and also if you are willing to actually stop in need to ensure you get what you need.  I doubt you will as the idea of carrying no bottles tells me you want to save every second already.

What you need to focus on is the rough roads so ensure everything is tight and bottles can dislodge easily.

I have ordered 25mm tubbies and will go 6 bar to try and ease the pain

I mean carry no bottle out of transition but take one and carry one from the first liquid station if its also a case of only being 1 km out.

yr point about the elevation of the course is spot on...it will have far less effect in 2016 than 2015.

Just getting back to the tyres...I think that 25mm is the way to go for PE.  Now looking at the brands available.  What do you recommend : Gatorskins, GP4000 or Ultrasport?  Puncture resistance is probably the biggest concern  So it looks like gatorskins are the safest? See http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/compare/continental-gatorskin-2015-vs-continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-2014-vs-continental-ultra-sport-ii-2015

all correct however a point I recall reading is that a 25mm tyre pumped up to the same pressure as a 23 tyre will actually have less resistance as the contact patch is smaller. while the contact patch would be wider it would be less long (my phrase) thus resulting in a smaller area in contact with the road.

There is of course a penalty to pay as the tyre will weigh more.

I believe this was the most crucial session in my prep for my maiden IM last year. You start early and finish late which mimics the race unlike e.g. a 200km bike ride. To me it was surprisingly easy: the 1.5 hr rest does wonders in between and I felt fresh starting every leg.

This year I'm doing two "long days" in prep.

We did this big day workout today. It was tough because of the heat. Temperatures went up to 40 degrees here in Kimberley. Easily the most liquid I have consumed on a 5 hr ride. It is a workout I would recommend as it simulates race day and gives you some idea of where you are in terms of fitness. I am looking forward to an off day tomorrow and spending some quality time with my daughter. Train save tomorrow guys.

GP4000 S2 wins hands down for lowest rolling resistance. IMSA does a good job of cleaning the roads before hand. A chance of puncturing on a new tyre is remote.

Just don't ride in the yellow line. It is not regarded as part of the race course and you are advised not to during race briefing.

Just getting back to the tyres...I think that 25mm is the way to go for PE.  Now looking at the brands available.  What do you recommend : Gatorskins, GP4000 or Ultrasport?  Puncture resistance is probably the biggest concern  So it looks like gatorskins are the safest? See http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/compare/continental-gatorskin-2015-vs-continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-2014-vs-continental-ultra-sport-ii-2015

I use the Michelin Pro 4 Service Course....great tyres and they make an endurance 25mm as well.

I reckon so long as you have new set of tyres and tubes you good to go. Did not see once single puncture last year.

Did not realize that about the yellow line, thanks for the headsup...I must of been dreaming during race briefing