Standard Bank Ironman 2016 (10 April)

Garfield2010

Good luck guys. You will smell my potjie on the run when you go past 3 rd ave

:wacko: If there is one thing that really bothers me on the run it is that smell of braai/potjie. Can't take it...

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My beloved Cervelo S3. No TT bike for me as I am too fat to breathe properly in the TT bars. Also have 23 tyres as I bought a new set specifically for IM before the route change was announced. It is what it is. If the conditions are gentle I am looking for a 6:45 on the bike including T1 time so around 6:30 on the bike which will include a stop or 2 to enjoy the experience, empty the bladder and just limber up a bit.

Cool.  I'm also using straight road bike, no TT bars, etc.  They should make a category for this, like a full sus MTB in a road race?

Going on the old workhorse in TT mode. This bike really served me well over the past 4 years switching between road and TT setup:

post-34430-0-34171300-1459935013_thumb.jpg

Is it not bad karma to speak about goal times???

I did 12:46 last year and think this course will be quite a bit easier. In case of reasonable weather: 1:15 swim, 6:15 bike, 4:20 run and then transitions time determine if I go under 12:00 or not... 

Going on the old workhorse in TT mode. This bike really served me well over the past 4 years switching between road and TT setup:

attachicon.gif20160406_111846_001res.jpg

Is it not bad karma to speak about goal times???

I did 12:46 last year and think this course will be quite a bit easier. In case of reasonable weather: 1:15 swim, 6:15 bike, 4:20 run and then transitions time determine if I go under 12:00 or not... 

Good luck Snytjie! 

Your goals are not far off my goals!

On a side not, you do know that a bottle on the seat tube is more 'aero' than not having one?

Although if you aren't averaging over 32 odd kph all the 'aero' stuff is mostly tomfoolery anyway. Comfort, setup and position counts for way more, which you obviously have on the trusty steed.

I'm  here training my ass of for a standard distance while you guys talking about 11 hrs. (Supermen) 

Anyway, any tips/ advice on getting to do and complete an  ironman, I plan on doing a Olympic on the 24th. Assuming I complete. What my next step. Training plans? Clubs? google? Youtube? 

I'm  here training my ass of for a standard distance while you guys talking about 11 hrs. (Supermen) 

Anyway, any tips/ advice on getting to do and complete an  ironman, I plan on doing a Olympic on the 24th. Assuming I complete. What my next step. Training plans? Clubs? google? Youtube? 

Talking vs doing...big difference. We will have to report back here on Monday with our Planned vs Actuals.

I am a rookie in terms of Triathlon, but have done endurance events for a while now.

Only advice I can give is Take Baby Steps.

I have seen people moving from 10, to 21.1, to 42.2, to 50's and comrades within a year or so...Ending their running careers before it even started.

Unless you are a supremely natural athlete, your body takes time to develop fitness, strength (injuries) and endurance.

Take it slow, do a few olympic distances, then move up to 70.3's and only after you are really comfortable, take the step-up.

It will be worth being patient.

If nothing else the fourth discipline.. Nutrition... learn to stuff your face when on the bike, it is the only real time you have the luxury of comfort when eating and need to fuel for the run.

Does not matter whether doing Olympic, 70.3 or full, learn what works for you and eat more that you think you need. Manage calories burnt and intake.

Otherwise there many training plans online.  Think Fittrack even have plans for free.  Clubs can be good especially in the pool, swim schools can keep you motivated.

If you have mates doing it then there is often plenty of motivation to keep going .

Build running, it is the most physically demanding on the body and cannot be rushed, so build distance slowly

If nothing else the fourth discipline.. Nutrition... learn to stuff your face when on the bike, it is the only real time you have the luxury of comfort when eating and need to fuel for the run.

Does not matter whether doing Olympic, 70.3 or full, learn what works for you and eat more that you think you need. Manage calories burnt and intake.

Otherwise there many training plans online.  Think Fittrack even have plans for free.  Clubs can be good especially in the pool, swim schools can keep you motivated.

If you have mates doing it then there is often plenty of motivation to keep going .

Build running, it is the most physically demanding on the body and cannot be rushed, so build distance slowly

I think the key here is as Shaper and Bushdaaif says is to start slowly and get some form of coaching be it online, a programme  or a coach. If you feel adventurous and have the time you can self coach if you use Joe Friels Books as guidance which will make it more personal and tailored to what is good for you . But the key here is take is easy and get some form of programme. Triathlonplus mag had some programmes-generic but a good start. If you want to I can send you a generic 70.3 Training Programme, and here is a link for IM from the Triathlonplus mag: https://issuu.com/firetreedesign/docs/triathlon-plus-feb2015?e=2278234%2F11715218 .        

According to Accuweather you guys are in for a nice hot day with minimal wind.

Enjoy it.