centre lock vs bolton rotors

seanrcb

Good Morning Hubbers

My cassette free wheel on my GT Avalanche 2.0 2012 has decided to die.LBS recommends replacing entire hub (R1800 SLX hub and rotor) and rebuilding wheel. Most SA online shops have majority centre lock hubs only. I currently have bolt on rotors so dont see need for unecessary expense. am definitely incline to shimano purely for parts availabilty. SO if is a definite advantage between the two systems.

Keep your 6 bolt rotor and get an adapter. They are fairly cheap and I have found that they work well. Not sure of advantages of 6 bolt vs centre lock. Works the same for me.

Edited by Dusty

Those adapters work out the same a a new rotor.

I recently bought new rotors for my wife (6 Bolt) so they are still available

What hub is it? Why not just replace the freehub body?

Because there is less money in it for the lbs?

Centrelock is not as popular, yet, so the rotors tend to be much cheaper after market as all the grey groupset imports come with centrelock that are then replaced with 6 bolt because majority of wheels still use 6 bolt hubs.  This is changing, but slowly.

am definitely incline to shimano purely for parts availabilty. 

Wishful thinking.  Local support on wheel parts expires very fast!  I always recommend a hub with cartridge sealed bearings for MTB. You may have to replace bearings more often but it is a simple operation and they are available! The axle/bearing replacement for a Shimano hub costs close to what the new hub costs.  As for the rotors I would stick to 6 bolt.

Just source an affordable centre lock adaptor if you really need to go the shimano route. You then have options open to yourself should you wish to fit any rotor at anytime?

Just my 1/2 cent opinion :whistling:

Why specifically an SLX hub?

CL is a shimano thing. I like the idea because the mounting is simpler, and I think the CL versions of the icetec rotors lool better, but don't like shimano hubs because of the cup and cone bearing system. Most other hub manufacturers stick to 6bolt. I think DT Swiss do CL options as well.

I would look at a new freebody first, failing that a non-shimano hub as the replacement. Or get a set of second hand wheels off the hub for the same price.

Just put Centre Lock Adapters on my XT hubs to put on 6 bolt rotors. Adapter cost about R180 each

Biggest advantage of centre lock in my opinion is the ease of changing or working with them. Takes 20sec max to whip it off to work on spokes etc, where the 6 bolt can be a pain unscrewing and re-fitting the 6 screws. Minor, but a factor for me

just get a 6 bolt hub, will probably get something cheaper and then still save on adapters  or new rotors.