Garmin Edge 500 vs 510 vs others

Bester

I need some advice on which gps unit to buy. My budget is R5000 and currently I am considering either the Garmin Edge 500 or the Edge 510. Is the difference in price worth it? I have read that the 510 has got quicker / better satelite connection and therefor more accurate.

Are there any others that I should consider in this price range? in terms of functionality I want to see distance, speed, elevation and heart rate (maybe also power). It would be nice to be able to load a route / track or even to have navigation.Battery life is also improtant which is what eliminated the Polar M400 watch.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Value for Money i say consider the Sigma Rox 10. 

Personally i have a Garmin 510. 

Compair to the 500 the larger screen and additional features like touch screen and auto upload just makes 1's life a little bit easier. 

A bike computer is something you hopefully going to keep for years so pay the extra and make the proper investment. 

I'd go for the 510 over the 500.  It fits into your budget and has more features.  The one that I like is the live tracking - so your people can see where you are when you're off in the bush for hours.

I have had both. I had the 500 until my dog ate it (true story) so I replaced it with the 510.

The only benefit of the 510 over the 500 is, the screen is slightly bigger, the GPS acquisition is much faster and the wireless file uploading is great.

Other than that the functions and features are near identical. I really hated the touch screen at first, but have grown to love it.

I've got a 500 and my riding partner the 510. They pretty much do the same thing while we are out for a ride - we both track HR and cadence and both units work equally well.

I went for the 500 because of the 510 touchscreen. I have a nasty habit of wiping the screen all the time so would be pushing buttons on the 510.

510 also have a bigger screen and the wireless link which allows you to immediately after your ride upload to garmin connect or strava (if that floats your boat). And of course live tracking.

Since it's within your budget, and if you don't have wiping habits as I do, then go for the 510.

Having said that; you won't be disappointed with the 500 either.

Been using Edge 510 for about a month.

cool things:

- live track

- only cost me R3800. (got a good deal on new machine)

- Upload to Garmin connect / Strava etc..

- Nice size touch screen

- The amount of info on the screen is huge, with even more things that I never knew I needed to know. First couple of rides I was always looking at the thing, HB, cal, temp, Gradients, HB% ...

Still waiting to see how it goes at Sani following the maps.

I've got a 500 and my riding partner the 510. They pretty much do the same thing while we are out for a ride - we both track HR and cadence and both units work equally well.

I went for the 500 because of the 510 touchscreen. I have a nasty habit of wiping the screen all the time so would be pushing buttons on the 510.

510 also have a bigger screen and the wireless link which allows you to immediately after your ride upload to garmin connect or strava (if that floats your boat). And of course live tracking.

Since it's within your budget, and if you don't have wiping habits as I do, then go for the 510.

Having said that; you won't be disappointed with the 500 either.

you can lock the touch screen though if that's an issue for you...

I was initially a reluctant upgrader as was more than happy with my 500 but the flange connecting to the bike mount wore away, so I figured if getting a new one may as well get the latest.  I use the live tracking much more than I thought I would as my wife then has peace of mind if I'm out on a ride and it doesn't use much battery or data at all, since the phone is just maintaining a blue tooth connection to the 510 and streaming position - not loading maps or activating the phone's GPS.  That and the auto upload of rides are great improvements over the 500.

As far as I am concerned the only real differences is the connectivity. If you realise that you need to charge the battery, and for that you need the cable so you can do your uploads at the same time. This means my battery is charged because I’m forced to this habit where my wife is been caught out by this

I would also recommend the Mio cyclo 315HC which as navigation and maps pre installed or pay the little bit extra and get the Mio cyclo 505HC both comes with heart rate monitor as well as speed/cadence sensor. The 505HC also have a few extra features.

Go have a look at http://miosouthafrica.co.za/product-category/fitness/for pricing and features.

I posted a thread app to replace garmin on bar on finding a replacement for a Garmin on a smartphone.

If you're spending cash maybe look at that, you can buy new dual ANT+ BT4 sensors for about 1200 rondt and get software that is equally good.

And then spend the difference on upgrading your kit that makes you ride faster.

Diirty where did you get the 510 for R3800 ?

Got it right here on the Hub. Was R3900 which included postage of 100 bucks. Was a pretty good deal.

I got mine at the Cape Union Mart duty free store at ORT for R4648, then get 20% cash back on my discovery card - so effectively R3720.  (slightly) less than I could get it at Evens cycles in UK where I was heading which had been my original plan.

I have the Edge 500. It does everything that i need but recently i wish it could sync wireless with my phone...yes for strava. :) Was told that the Garmin 510 touch screen is not great when riding in wet weather or when you hands are sweaty. Not sure if it is like that tho.

In the beginning i looked at the Sigma Rox models. They are better looking than most other units. One of the things that put me off about it was that i had to buy a special cable and adapter to download my stats. No it wasn't included with the unit. The Garmin brand seemed like a saver option to me.

Edited by JoeZipp