Any trustworthy bike shops out there?

I'm on the East Rand and have been alternating between taking my mountain bike to Johnson Cycle Works, Ridgeway Cycles and Boksburg Cycle Lab for servicing and repairs. 

I'm relatively new to biking and have relied on what I hoped would be professional advice and service from these shops, but they've often fallen woefully short of expectations - I won't bore you with the details but it variously involves failing to meet deadlines, not returning phone calls, giving bad advice on what components to buy, etc.

Can anyone point me to a cycle shop I can trust for good service and advice, and not someone who's just interested in selling me what they happen to have in stock at the time?

I don't mind travelling further afield.

My 2c. I'm in Edenvale and I don't use any of the local stores except to pop in and get a small thing. My experience, friend bought a bike from johnsons, OH has a bike serviced there, service was ok. What turned me off was when I wanted to but a bike, and I phoned to ask if they could get a specific bike for me, I was met with a no, we don't stock that - and they hung up.

Ridgeway Cycles have improved since they started, a friend of mine uses them for services and so far they have been getting better.

I think it's worth trying to develop a relationship with a shop, so don't just not go back, but find the lesser of evils, tell them what was wrong to give them a chance to improve.

My advice: Make Google your friend - figure out via forums/ youtube how to service your bike yourself; Only take bike in for fork and shock service (these are the trickiest); order parts online and install yourself.

Try Finish Line!  Be patient, everyone is getting attention, so you might have to wait a few minutes.  Had a noisy rear hub, after another stage race shop serviced it a week before.  A coffee later, browsing in the shop, all fixed in around 30 minutes. Serviced and new bearings.  Another lekker experience - dropped of the groceries on Thursday, picked up the built Santa Cruz at 15h00 the Friday.  Ok wallet was thinner, but worth it!

Try Finish Line!  Be patient, everyone is getting attention, so you might have to wait a few minutes.  Had a noisy rear hub, after another stage race shop serviced it a week before.  A coffee later, browsing in the shop, all fixed in around 30 minutes. Serviced and new bearings.  Another lekker experience - dropped of the groceries on Thursday, picked up the built Santa Cruz at 15h00 the Friday.  Ok wallet was thinner, but worth it!

Finish line always a winner as said be patient they busy for a reason THAT COFFEE LADY Clint she MAKES GOOD COFFEE

Finish line always a winner as said be patient they busy for a reason THAT COFFEE LADY Clint she MAKES GOOD COFFEE

She must get back from her hospital visit to the island!  :cursing:  :clap:  :w00t:

The coffee ladies name is Clint? :eek:

Worry about you boys from the Vale.

There is also Tony Impey Cycles and a new cycle shop across the road from Tony they are called Complete Cyclist Bedforview.

There are also two guys that I know on the HUB that has the mobile servicing that come to you and service the bike.

Toney Impey Cycles in bedfordview.

Just got my new bike there, long story short, they found a manufacturing fault on my frame and got me a warranty replacement.

Yes everyone can get a warranty if needed but it was the way he assured me and went about getting it. He made it known he was looking out for me and my best interests and that was reassuring for a change.

The best in Edenvale, Search Facebook for N+1 Cycleworks. The best service, price and just down rite BRILLIANT.

My baby always loves a visit to My friend at N+1...

:thumbup: :thumbup: