2015 Coronation Double Century

Chris NewbyFraser

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 4th DC with different guys. Does the bitching, moaning and internal power struggles ever stop!

What advice is out there?

We are all 'equal' on the bike whether I'm the CEO, Choir Leader, Admin. Clerk, Director, Cashier etc. Take orders from the team captain gentleman and ladies.

I was behind Team Revolution Cycles and actually admired the dynamics that i saw.

My 4th DC with different guys. Does the bitching, moaning and internal power struggles ever stop!

We are all 'equal' on the bike whether I'm the CEO, Choir Leader, Admin. Clerk, Director, Cashier etc. Take orders from the team captain gentleman and ladies.

I was behind Team Revolution Cycles and actually admired the dynamics that i saw.

Do you train together before hand? If everyone knows the team goal, then there is not much to moan about. If you want to finish with 12 like our second team did, then you wait for everyone all the time, if you want to do a set time, then if you pop you knew what you signed up for. 

It all depends on the people in your team. Some people are just not team players and no matter how much they nod in agreement they're just not going to play along. Include them in your team at your peril

Awesome! What team were you in?

Great stuff  @Team Urban Fitness Outdoor (UFO) mixed. To achieve your time including punctures.

Edited by aVenge

Cape Town Giants - Start time 6:48. No. 218. Eleven lined up. By Op Tradouw we were seven. Six went to 120km to stop the clock. Another 2 rolled in maybe 5 minutes later. Same thing at 160km. The final push took some casualties, we were determined though, and limped over the line pushing two guys to do 6:08. Our best time yet for the DC. 

Thankfully, no punctures, no crashes. Certainly a big thank you is due for the Organisers, people of Swellendam and other towns along the route, supporters, and our fellow teams who make this event very special.

PS to Organisers: Please try and reduce the entry fee for next year.

Was an amazing ride, just missed our 5:30 goal as a rider was caught behind an accident at first stop. Ended with 5:35 and 21st, apparently I need another bike setup according to Instagram. :/

Same issue as last year, teams on Mtb riding three abreast in montagu wondering why the getting screamed at by teams coming past them... :/

Some of those okes on mtbs needs a stern talking too. Think they own the road.

You might have a point...I mean, word out there is, the MTB'ers come to DC to show the roadies a thing or two...ruler sold separately. 

I do both road and MTB riding. Was invited to do DC on a full knobblied MTB for Rawson. We did 6h33 at avg speed of 30.8kph. That's pretty good going. The team's goal was to do it in under 6h30, no other other motives...

That said the general etiquette all round was poor. Lots of falls again, lots of erratic riding made worse by the adverse weather conditions. Loved the scenery and the vibe. Great event. Will be back but on a road bike.

Edited by Aaron_B

I still say they must let the top 15 teams overall plus Top 5 in each cat go off first. No slipping and it makes the patrolling a lot easier. :thumbup:

The rest of the teams you can give more of a "blind eye", so many ride the same pace and the congestion on the narrow roads makes it impossible to manage.  :blush:

Aint gonna happen Bob, closing a national road for 2 consecutive days is not even possible with something like Tour of SA, never mind a funride.

The logical course of action would be to limit the entries to say 150 teams (down from 258 teams) and then to do the reverse start. Let people "register their interest" with the complete team listed, pick the 150 fastest combined times as your teams to eliminate the corporate bloating this event is suffering from and have the last team out by 6:30am, and the last team in by 3pm.

<edit> quoted wrong post

Edited by GLuvsMtb

Cape Town Giants - Start time 6:48. No. 218. Eleven lined up. By Op Tradouw we were seven. Six went to 120km to stop the clock. Another 2 rolled in maybe 5 minutes later. Same thing at 160km. The final push took some casualties, we were determined though, and limped over the line pushing two guys to do 6:08. Our best time yet for the DC. 

Well done guys - massive improvement.! :clap:

Aint gonna happen Bob, closing a national road for 2 consecutive days is not even possible with something like Tour of SA, never mind a funride.

The logical course of action would be to limit the entries to say 150 teams (down from 258 teams) and then to do the reverse start. Let people "register their interest" with the complete team listed, pick the 150 fastest combined times as your teams to eliminate the corporate bloating this event is suffering from and have the last team out by 6:30am, and the last team in by 3pm.

<edit> quoted wrong post

I think the best way to make the DC a bit safer is to neutralize the section between Montague and Ashton. That's the only really dangerous section with the road being open and two way vehicular traffic to negotiate. The road is narrow and in poor condition which makes for some sketchy lines. Finally this seems to be where the racing / sub six hour teams start passing the bulk of the field which causes no small amount of chaos. 

3rd one done.  Loved the ride. 

Not so much the weather.  But that is that Cape for you.

All my teams so far was awesome.  Finished with all the riders going over the line at the same time every time.  Fist bumping and high fiving.  It makes the ride so much more enjoyable and the friendships that form out of suffering are almost always everlasting. 

Well done to all who finished.  Tough day on the bike.  :thumbup:

I think the best way to make the DC a bit safer is to neutralize the section between Montague and Ashton. That's the only really dangerous section with the road being open and two way vehicular traffic to negotiate. The road is narrow and in poor condition which makes for some sketchy lines. Finally this seems to be where the racing / sub six hour teams start passing the bulk of the field which causes no small amount of chaos. 

another alternative would be to split the event over 2 weekends with the top teams in each category on weekend 1 and the funrider corporate types on weekend 2. Swellendam and the surrounding towns struggle to host the influx of people on DC weekend and this detracts from the whole experience when you pay too much for accommodation, food and other amenities and on top of that the service you receive sucks as well. Splitting it over 2 weekends would also spread the income for the hospitality industry in the area. I know that conditions are vastly different from one weekend to the next, but conditions change on the day too making for 2 completely different races for those starting at 5:30 opposed to those starting at 7:00.

3rd one done.  Loved the ride. 

Not so much the weather.  But that is that Cape for you.

All my teams so far was awesome.  Finished with all the riders going over the line at the same time every time.  Fist bumping and high fiving.  It makes the ride so much more enjoyable and the friendships that form out of suffering are almost always everlasting. 

Well done to all who finished.  Tough day on the bike.  :thumbup:

Well done.What was your teams name?