2015 Coronation Double Century

Chris NewbyFraser

Was an amazing ride, just missed our 5:30 goal as a rider was caught behind an accident at first stop. Ended with 5:35 and 21st, apparently I need another bike setup according to Instagram. :/

Same issue as last year, teams on Mtb riding three abreast in montagu wondering why the getting screamed at by teams coming past them... :/

Yes, I made that comment there. Look how everyone around you sit on their bicycles and then you see how you lean off the back of your saddle. Either your frame is too big or your stem is too long...judging from the pic looks like your frame is too big. How tall are you and what is your frame size?

Our team finished Top 10 so pretty stoked...although Team Volvo was drafting for a very long time after the 1st checkpoint until we eventually had to tell them to back-off a few times since they didnt want to go past to work a bit and just wanted to catch a free ride...not cool!

Besides the weather overall a good race and glad to see how everyone still went out there to do it although there was wind and rain...well done to everyone.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anything will change next year (other than entry fee which will increase). We started at 7:11 and encountered loads of traffic. Saw the crashes and had to slow down a couple of times but nothing worth complaining about. Asked slower riders to stay left and they obliged. Only complaint was dropped riders from faster groups jumping into our pace line then getting all uppity when asked to get out. See you all next year.  

Yes, I made that comment there. Look how everyone around you sit on their bicycles and then you see how you lean off the back of your saddle. Either your frame is too big or your stem is too long...judging from the pic looks like your frame is too big. How tall are you and what is your frame size?

Our team finished Top 10 so pretty stoked...although Team Volvo was drafting for a very long time after the 1st checkpoint until we eventually had to tell them to back-off a few times since they didnt want to go past to work a bit and just wanted to catch a free ride...not cool!

Besides the weather overall a good race and glad to see how everyone still went out there to do it although there was wind and rain...well done to everyone.

Its a 56cm frame and I am 1.85m and was told the 54 would be too small, I think I need a shorter stem though, its 90mm at the moment. Seem to have had this pose on my 2 prior bikes though. 

Also had a bike fit done on this bike. - will try the shorter stem.

Its a 56cm frame and I am 1.85m and was told the 54 would be too small, I think I need a shorter stem though, its 90mm at the moment. Seem to have had this pose on my 2 prior bikes though. 

Also had a bike fit done on this bike. - will try the shorter stem.

I am 184 and ride a 54, the top tube of the 56 was to long. Test a 54(Medium) and see how it feels, you can always add a longer stem but you can't go too short with a short stem because the handling becomes harder with a short stem where quick cornering is involved. If I may ask who did your bike setup?

I am 184 and ride a 54, the top tube of the 56 was to long. Test a 54(Medium) and see how it feels, you can always add a longer stem but you can't go too short with a short stem because the handling becomes harder with a short stem where quick cornering is involved. If I may ask who did your bike setup?

Will PM 

I don't think anything will change next year (other than entry fee which will increase). We started at 7:11 and encountered loads of traffic. Saw the crashes and had to slow down a couple of times but nothing worth complaining about. Asked slower riders to stay left and they obliged. Only complaint was dropped riders from faster groups jumping into our pace line then getting all uppity when asked to get out. See you all next year.  

Everyone does this, they suppose to go sit at the back of your team while you all work together. Also keeping about 1m gap from the team so there is no interferance. 

Tough day out there. Wind, rain & punctures. Didn't go as planned but managed to go sub 6 & finished with 12 for the Charles Milner medal. Great event as always.

Urban Fitness Outdoor (UFO) mixed

We passed Matt on the last hill, he was i n UFO kit, seemed miles off the group?

We passed Matt on the last hill, he was i n UFO kit, seemed miles off the group?

We didn't aim for Milner medal, it just happened. First rider across line in 5:51:21 and he crossed the line in 6:01:05. We only realised afterwards that we made it. 

Well done.What was your teams name?

Team name was Roadshedding. 

Was fun out there.

I think PPA got our seeding WAY off as we were the last team on the road until around 80km! 

Felt like we were the only ones competing!!

:blush:  :blink:

Was fun riding my bike the whole day long without getting in too much twarra with the mrs.  :whistling:  :thumbup:

Team name was Roadshedding. 

Was fun out there.

I think PPA got our seeding WAY off as we were the last team on the road until around 80km! 

Felt like we were the only ones competing!!

:blush:  :blink:

Was fun riding my bike the whole day long without getting in too much twarra with the mrs.  :whistling:  :thumbup:

I have yet to do it

My ex and son habve done it a number of times and loved it

Yet another fantastic DC and this is the 1st time that I got a Charles Milner medal.

We decided after the Argus this year to enter a team and at the time we were only 2 guys that did the DC before. From the very beginning our goal was 8hrs and the team medal. 

After months of training, blood, sweat and tears we achieved our goal. We were seeded as team number 203 which was most likely because we had 4 riders seeded in A-C and the weakest rider seeded in N. The team talk the Friday evening went very well with the whole team debating and eventually coming up with the best tactics for the team.

During the race the tactics worked out exactly as planned and that made me a very proud captain with the guys showing the utmost respect to myself and the rest of the team at all times. I was unfortunate to having a tubbie blowout just before Tradouw pass but then the 4 strongest riders(incl myself) stopped to get it sorted and we lost around 25mins.

We then attacked Tradouw pass and we eventually caught up with team USN purefit and sat with them until on top of Op De Tradouw and they were a really cool bunch of guys and ladies. We didnt interfere with their tactics and offered to help pacing but they refused as they were riding at the goal pace. 

On top of Op de Tradouw we were surprised to see the rest of our team as we thought we would catch up at the feeding zone in Ashton only. We regrouped and made our way to Ashton and caught lots of slower groups and solo riders and soon formed a bigger group but the pouring rain made it really hard and dangerous on some of those fast descends but luckily no crashes in our team.

The 1st really challenging bit in the team dynamics came about 5kms from the 3 sisters with the team looking down and out going at 15km/h on the flats. Myself and the 3 other strong guys had a quick meeting on what to do from there, should we go for team time or carry the boys home. 

We decided that each of us assist whoever needs to be towed up the climbs as we need to finish all 12 together. Eventually 6 of the guys needs a push here and there and some more than others but we gritted our teeth and got everyone over those last 3 horrible sisters :clap:

The last 7 kms the guys found something and we just went for it passing teams that came flying past us earlier and we finished really strong much to my surprise. The team spirit after the race was amazing and it made me really proud to have been able to be not just part of such a team effort but also the captain. 

post-41373-0-12964000-1448265140_thumb.jpg

post-41373-0-63768600-1448265140_thumb.jpg

post-41373-0-03668100-1448265141_thumb.jpg

post-41373-0-22002700-1448265367_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bankie99

Cool time for my piece.

DC is always a good ride. Our guys couldnt decide whether they wanted to race it or do a Charles Milner jobby. Our captain kept changing his mind. One moment hammers got put down and we shelled guys, then 5 mins later we get told to sit up and wait for them.... then hammer then sit up.. ai jai jai. This resulted in us missing time checks which forced us to just go for the Charles Milner, which we got YAY in 6:20.

Was cool to se the Savage guys, the UFO team really put the power down between waterpoint 1 and 2, some good riding, pity about that crash that slowed and split the bunch. The CycleLab guys wheels sucked you a bit much there ;)

Was cool passing Wez-O for a change, and before he tells you any different, he was going flat out!!! :P There was a guys in that Cell-C team that was going to cause an accident, a short stocky guy who who kept pushing up between riders.

Bad things:

Single riders who latch onto the group, but then start playing in the team they latched up. FKOFF, if I wanted you to ride in my team I would have invited you. You are most welcome to sit on the back but please stay there.

Teams who make halfassed attempts at passing. They pass halfway then decide to merge with the team that they are passing. Just pass, again, if I wanted to ride with your team I would have asked.

Teams sitting 3 abreast or jockying for position in that narrow section between 100km and the first stop. That is a terrible road and people swerve for potholes, just hold position, it will be just as fast promise.

People doing this race on MTBs, please dont.

Good things:

Team spirits!

Orgnisation!

Post race parties!

This is probably my favourite race of the year, its the only one I have done every year since I started riding. Was my 4th. Will be back for the 5th next year, but this time I want to race it. Its so hard not to chase faster groups for the greater good

Edited by Patchelicious

That was my 11th, and probably most enjoyable, DC - even in that crap weather.

Such a great team with no drama, no admin and no mechanicals. Just lots of laughs, good vibes and teamwork.

We all finished together with a time of 6:35 (target was 7:00) and ended the day with a big braai and fines meeting/jol. Awesome weekend all around.

(We didn't hang around at the finish for our Charles Milner medal, so I must make a plan to collect it from PPA or something)

Cool time for my piece.

DC is always a good ride. Our guys couldnt decide whether they wanted to race it or do a Charles Milner jobby. Our captain kept changing his mind. One moment hammers got put down and we shelled guys, then 5 mins later we get told to sit up and wait for them.... then hammer then sit up.. ai jai jai. This resulted in us missing time checks which forced us to just go for the Charles Milner, which we got YAY in 6:20.

Was cool to se the Savage guys, the UFO team really put the power down between waterpoint 1 and 2, some good riding, pity about that crash that slowed and split the bunch. The CycleLab guys wheels sucked you a bit much there ;)

Was cool passing Wez-O for a change, and before he tells you any different, he was going flat out!!! :P There was a guys in that Cell-C team that was going to cause an accident, a short stocky guy who who kept pushing up between riders.

Bad things:

Single riders who latch onto the group, but then start playing in the team they latched up. FKOFF, if I wanted you to ride in my team I would have invited you. You are most welcome to sit on the back but please stay there.

Teams who make halfassed attempts at passing. They pass halfway then decide to merge with the team that they are passing. Just pass, again, if I wanted to ride with your team I would have asked.

Teams sitting 3 abreast or jockying for position in that narrow section between 100km and the first stop. That is a terrible road and people swerve for potholes, just hold position, it will be just as fast promise.

People doing this race on MTBs, please dont.

Good things:

Team spirits!

Orgnisation!

Post race parties!

This is probably my favourite race of the year, its the only one I have done every year since I started riding. Was my 4th. Will be back for the 5th next year, but this time I want to race it. Its so hard not to chase faster groups for the greater good

Newbie (ignorant MTB'er) question:

How does this race work, what is the format and what is a Charles Milner medal? I read a bit of the feedback and it sounds like a very interesting, enjoyable team event.

Thanks

Newbie (ignorant MTB'er) question:

How does this race work, what is the format and what is a Charles Milner medal? I read a bit of the feedback and it sounds like a very interesting, enjoyable team event.

Thanks

Team of 12 people, start together and ride as a team. Basically a 200km team time trial. The time of the 6th rider counts for the team. If all 12 finish together they get a special (C Milner) medal

To do a sub 5:30 at the DC requires a solid team effort. You cannot expect to just average 37.5kph on the flats sucking a wheel and think that that's gonna do it. The hills and climbs will eat into your time, as well as issues such as passing, congestion etc. You missed it by 5 minutes. If you analyze it truthfully you'll see where you lost those 5 minutes. As for guys who fall off the back when they know that they signed up for 6 over in a sub 5:30. Man up or train harder.

Was an amazing ride, just missed our 5:30 goal as a rider was caught behind an accident at first stop. Ended with 5:35 and 21st, apparently I need another bike setup according to Instagram. :/

Same issue as last year, teams on Mtb riding three abreast in montagu wondering why the getting screamed at by teams coming past them... :/