2015 Coronation Double Century

Chris NewbyFraser

Had to miss out on the event this year. Looking forward to do it again next year on the MTB.

Remember to keep left and fit narrower bars. Also try not to ride two abreast. Two mtbs doing so takes up 2m of road

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

all this blubber and no proof. where is the photo/ pics.  just nothing.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/IMG_3259_zpsum0sfffb.jpg

Dorks

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/IMG_3264_zpsxcic8s1s.jpg

Knobhead!

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/IMG_3263_zpsiqybwjbf.jpg

Hmmmmm

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/IMG_3270_zpsaowle05w.jpg

Food yum yum.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/IMG_3272_zps4eztujfm.jpg

FINISHED!!!

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/IMG_3261_zps6zcyy89j.jpg

Yet another fantastic DC and this is the 1st time that I got a Charles Milner medal.

We decided after the Argus this year to enter a team and at the time we were only 2 guys that did the DC before. From the very beginning our goal was 8hrs and the team medal. 

After months of training, blood, sweat and tears we achieved our goal. We were seeded as team number 203 which was most likely because we had 4 riders seeded in A-C and the weakest rider seeded in N. The team talk the Friday evening went very well with the whole team debating and eventually coming up with the best tactics for the team.

During the race the tactics worked out exactly as planned and that made me a very proud captain with the guys showing the utmost respect to myself and the rest of the team at all times. I was unfortunate to having a tubbie blowout just before Tradouw pass but then the 4 strongest riders(incl myself) stopped to get it sorted and we lost around 25mins.

We then attacked Tradouw pass and we eventually caught up with team USN purefit and sat with them until on top of Op De Tradouw and they were a really cool bunch of guys and ladies. We didnt interfere with their tactics and offered to help pacing but they refused as they were riding at the goal pace. 

On top of Op de Tradouw we were surprised to see the rest of our team as we thought we would catch up at the feeding zone in Ashton only. We regrouped and made our way to Ashton and caught lots of slower groups and solo riders and soon formed a bigger group but the pouring rain made it really hard and dangerous on some of those fast descends but luckily no crashes in our team.

The 1st really challenging bit in the team dynamics came about 5kms from the 3 sisters with the team looking down and out going at 15km/h on the flats. Myself and the 3 other strong guys had a quick meeting on what to do from there, should we go for team time or carry the boys home. 

We decided that each of us assist whoever needs to be towed up the climbs as we need to finish all 12 together. Eventually 6 of the guys needs a push here and there and some more than others but we gritted our teeth and got everyone over those last 3 horrible sisters :clap:

The last 7 kms the guys found something and we just went for it passing teams that came flying past us earlier and we finished really strong much to my surprise. The team spirit after the race was amazing and it made me really proud to have been able to be not just part of such a team effort but also the captain. 

Well done bru!!! 

I looooove gold!!!

Could we reverse the start order next year? :-)

Well atleast start the top 20 teams first. 

wheres the challenge in that ???

wheres the challenge in that ???

I think the real concern here is safety. Does a cyclist first have to be hit by an oncoming Truck just outside of Montagu before we reassess this?

In the past we were concerned about their safety when every single support car tried to leapfrog each other and the riders between stops. We brought it to the orginisers' attention and it got rectified. Hopefully they are still open for suggestions to make the event safer for everyone.

I kind of like the suggested idea of letting some of the racing teams start first and then the rest

But I guess that would be unfair to the stronger teams that miss out on the "special early start" as they have to pass the whole field vs their opponents that have "open roads" ahead of them.

Maybe as GLuvsMTB suggested splitting the event in 2, but I can just imagine a whole new set of complications even if they can get permission to do both on the same weekend (not sure completely different dates won't work as it is right between the 94.7 and Stellenbosch Cycle Tour)

Also don't think making the event smaller will fly so doesn't seem that we are close to an obvious solution to this problem!

The only real concerning safety lies from Montagu through to Ashton but unfortunately there is no alternate route so road closure is a no no.

Perhaps change of area all together?

What an amazing ride!

Team Geneva AD was the shiz!!!

Great event once again! Started and finished as a team of 12, with many getting their first medal in the process. Thanks to all involved and see you next year for number 5!

attachicon.gifG0040581.JPG

A little link to some descending Tradouw action:

This was all my GoPro captured, better than the 4 seconds last year.

Nice Vid! but is that a team of Tandems coming past? Sjoe! Who knew you could have a whole team of them???

Nice Vid! but is that a team of Tandems coming past? Sjoe! Who knew you could have a whole team of them???

They were pretty quick on the down hill and not so fast on the ups, so we gave them a wide space.

I kind of like the suggested idea of letting some of the racing teams start first and then the rest

But I guess that would be unfair to the stronger teams that miss out on the "special early start" as they have to pass the whole field vs their opponents that have "open roads" ahead of them.

Maybe as GLuvsMTB suggested splitting the event in 2, but I can just imagine a whole new set of complications even if they can get permission to do both on the same weekend (not sure completely different dates won't work as it is right between the 94.7 and Stellenbosch Cycle Tour)

Also don't think making the event smaller will fly so doesn't seem that we are close to an obvious solution to this problem!

It seems we have given up on changing our (the riders) behaviour.

Teams gunning for a time need to be circumspect when overtaking the smaller teams. Being fast is not a right to overtake on a public road.

Slower teams need to understand that discipline is necessary to maintain a paceline. And that It is necessary for everyone's safety.

So alternative solution is perhaps holding a lottery on entries.

Teams that are accepted have to demonstrate they can maintain an average of 25km/hr and a pace line. Organised time trials on killarney, kyalami and other race tracks would assist in teams demonstrating these abilities in 50km team time trials. Teams that fail the criteria forfeit their entry and it passes to the next team.

It solves a few issues of skill and ability as well as getting teams sorted long before the event as most teams will then pick more than 12 riders able to help them meet the criteria. Those riders are then your team and no one else is eligible unless there is extreme extenuating circumstances.

Hosting the event over 2 days or 2 weekends just isn't going to cut it. The problem is the riders and their ability to understand the rules and follow them

Hosting the event over 2 days or 2 weekends just isn't going to cut it. The problem is the riders and their ability to understand the rules and follow them

I don't think the problem is understanding the rules, maybe more the willingness to follow the rules, especially when nobody is enforcing them.

These problems aren't new, I guess we will have to wait for a few serious incidents until these issues will be taken seriously by organisers.

It seems we have given up on changing our (the riders) behaviour.

Teams gunning for a time need to be circumspect when overtaking the smaller teams. Being fast is not a right to overtake on a public road.

Slower teams need to understand that discipline is necessary to maintain a paceline. And that It is necessary for everyone's safety.

So alternative solution is perhaps holding a lottery on entries.

Teams that are accepted have to demonstrate they can maintain an average of 25km/hr and a pace line. Organised time trials on killarney, kyalami and other race tracks would assist in teams demonstrating these abilities in 50km team time trials. Teams that fail the criteria forfeit their entry and it passes to the next team.

It solves a few issues of skill and ability as well as getting teams sorted long before the event as most teams will then pick more than 12 riders able to help them meet the criteria. Those riders are then your team and no one else is eligible unless there is extreme extenuating circumstances.

The problem comes in trying to get all 12 people together.

Our team was made up of guys from PE, Cape Town and East London.

I think the best bet here is to just monitor that section of road better with the marshalls issuing time penalties or stops to those who can't keep their shape/hog the road.

There are numerous motorbike mounted marshalls on that section, give them a purpose, make people aware of the safety issue with the threat of a penalty.

People will quickly start to 'toe the line'...

All in all a great event. My finger will be on the trigger again come next year, hopefully we can be lucky enough to snatch an entry inside the 9 minute window!

The problem comes in trying to get all 12 people together.

Our team was made up of guys from PE, Cape Town and East London.

I think the best bet here is to just monitor that section of road better with the marshalls issuing time penalties or stops to those who can't keep their shape/hog the road.

There are numerous motorbike mounted marshalls on that section, give them a purpose, make people aware of the safety issue with the threat of a penalty.

People will quickly start to 'toe the line'...

All in all a great event. My finger will be on the trigger again come next year, hopefully we can be lucky enough to snatch an entry inside the 9 minute window!

The issue is you would have to have a motorbike with every fast team, as the speed difference is sometimes so big, by the time you shout keep left the team is already about to plough into the back of the slower riders three abreast. 

We passed a team and asked them to keep left, with them sitting almost on the white line, they replied we are left of the white line... You do not have to guess what bikes they were on....