Onboard power meter vs indoor power trainers

I would like to hear what your opinions are regarding power meters for MTB - better on the bike or on an indoor trainer?

I want to do the power training "thing" to see what all the hype is all about. I think it is all just phase that everyone is going through, I think next we will probably be using brain power meters to do training on :)

I am thinking of buying a power meter, I like the Powertap MTB Hub. Is it really worth it? And how important is it to have the power meter during a race? Would it be ok to train with the wheel and when you do a race put on your racing wheels?

I was just thinking because many people doing Cadence Cycling classes or use Watt Bikes but can't afford power meters for the bicycle, they can't see their power reading during a race.

What other decent power meters really work for MTB?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think power training is a must if you want to take your cycling up a notch.

I've been training at Cadence from August last year and seen a huge improvement in my cycling. Not just figures but physically on the bike as well when I'm on the trails. My FTP increased with 12% over the last 9 weeks, again. Train smart..

I would like to invest in a power meter for my bike later this year. I do think this will add value when you are doing a race. You will know exactly what power you can maintain for which amount of time before burning out. How long you can push and when to back off to recover quickly.

Above is my 2c.

Power training has been around for a while, so not just a phase or current hype.  Using power to train will give you more of a quality workout than doing just quantity.  During a race it can also help you gauge whether you're pushing too hard without realising it.

Other power meters to look in to is Quark and Stages that are crank based.  Look has a pedal that measures power as well. 

I would love to know if there is a discernible difference between a Watt bike measurement and a bike mounted reading? If anyone knows, pls. Eg, if you can do 200W on a watt bike, but you only average xx Watts on a bike, or vice versa?

IMHO the PowerTap MTB hub is the only reliable system out there, I have had one on my MTB for over a year now, and not had an ounce of trouble. It has helped me a lot in races because I can gauge my efforts a lot more closely now whereas before I would go out hard, blow halfway thru the race and have to nurse myself thru the rest. 

Now I can start more economically and keep going at the same pace until the end.

I don't know why people want race and training wheels, it is an old way of thinking and the PowerTap hub does not add that much weight to the overall system and the information gained is much more valuable than saving a couple  of grams.

I would love to know if there is a discernible difference between a Watt bike measurement and a bike mounted reading? If anyone knows, pls. Eg, if you can do 200W on a watt bike, but you only average xx Watts on a bike, or vice versa?

There is no way of truly testing this as if you ride on a Wattbike and then jump onto another bike in different conditions then there are too many other factors involved (humidity, temp, fatigue) as well as the fact that what you "feel" as 200W may be out as you are working on RPE (rate of perceived exertion)

I don't know why people want race and training wheels, it is an old way of thinking and the PowerTap hub does not add that much weight to the overall system and the information gained is much more valuable than saving a couple  of grams.

I have just bought a new wheelset 3 weeks ago. If I get this hub then it will mean I can't use my current rear wheel, so its money lost. That was why I thought of having a cheap training wheel with the Powertap hub and use the other set of wheels for races.

Edited by bioluminescence

Please go and hijack someone elses post :)

What is consistent is the improvement in output. On the same system if your power is up by 10% it's up by 10%. Whether that is from 285 watts or 300 watts is actually totally irrelevant and is generally the stuff of w-----s if it doesn't earn you a living: Ooh my FTP is 380 watts and my W/kg if now 5.2.

I'd recommend having a power meter available to you during both racing and training.

There are several reasons, e.g.:

Pacing yourself in a race (based on your wattage and your HR)

Getting useful race data which you can use for your next race on that course.

Managing your Training Stress Score accurately (which is crucial information to assist you in managing peak performance when you use power meter analysis software)

Ahh power meters....yes a great device for training as it can provide a lot of stats to analyze and consistent effort based training targets which help you train accurately easier. Definitely not a phase and as they evolve will become better (cheaper and easier to have on multiple bikes). Great tool for coaches and coaching.

But seriously it is not the be all and end all...people were training and improving long before power meters and even HRM were popular.

IMO I would stay away from hub based PM's (the currently available ones), I think the crank arm type (i.e. Stages) are the way to go as its more affordable, especially if you want have multiple bikes with different wheel types. 

I've used a power meter on the bike but I don't see as much value in this as I do in a training programme and coaching in a controlled environment.

I see bigger gains when training in consistent and repeatable conditions that I do just by going out riding having  power meter on the bike.

I see on bike PM's as poser value. There is value in assisting with pacing if you riding on your own but how often do you do that in a race?

.......I think next we will probably be using brain power meters to do training on :).....

Just google Omegawave.......

What are your goals? I ask because power/performance improves because of training, not because of measuring. I have owned some power meters, up to 4 of them at one time (2x Powertaps and 2x SRMs). I have since sold them all. At that point in my life, I was on a mission to win, and getting every possible bit of gain was important.

If your goal is to go faster, first get a coach that can train you without a power meter. See how it goes, then consider spending on a meter.

If you want another gadget to play with, a power meter is a good option.

What are your goals? I ask because power/performance improves because of training, not because of measuring. I have owned some power meters, up to 4 of them at one time (2x Powertaps and 2x SRMs). I have since sold them all. At that point in my life, I was on a mission to win, and getting every possible bit of gain was important.

If your goal is to go faster, first get a coach that can train you without a power meter. See how it goes, then consider spending on a meter.

If you want another gadget to play with, a power meter is a good option.

Can you recommend a good coach? I have been riding for a couple of years MTB but I want to get strong now. I want to break down that wall in front of me everytime I hit a slight incline.