Wheels and tyres

cadenceblur

Hi Guys

Need some input...

Of late, I have been doing a bit more riding than usual (road), and I'm getting a bit concerned around the potential wear and tear on my wheels and tyres... Also, if I have a wheel issue or require truing I'll be stuffed.

I am currently running a set of Mavic R Sys with the Continental Gp4000s tyres. The replacement cost on the wheels are substantial. I am therefore contemplating getting a training wheel set (Mavic aksiums currently on sale at CWC for R2000 along with a set of Conti Gatorskins.

Will probably use the R Sys for longer weekend rides maybe. Would this be a good move? Or am I wasting money. Also considering getting the 25c in the Gatorskins.

Your input will be appreciated.

Spending money on a spare set of wheels is a waste of your money. Unless you have tubbies and want to use them for races only.

Modern wheels are pretty tough and there is no reason your Mavics will suffer from being used daily.  The GP4000S is a great tyre, again no reason to go with gatorskins unless you are suffering from punctures.

Save your R2k, no need to change your set up.

Edit: Insure your wheels for crash replacement if you are worried about damage.

Edited by carbon29er

Spending money on a spare set of wheels is a waste of your money

I don't agree with that.

If you train on heavy wheels then you notice the difference in a race.Also if you have hassles with one set you have a back-up wheel...never know when you might hit a pothole and insurances take ages to pay out.

Just gone over to 25mm Gatorskins and running them at 6bars.Very comfortable and seem to grip better.Just make sure your frame can take 25mm tyres.

Will probably use the R Sys for longer weekend rides maybe. Would this be a good move? Or am I wasting money. Also considering getting the 25c in the Gatorskins.

Your input will be appreciated.

When last had your current wheelset (the R Sys) been to service?

IMO, Mavic wheelset (road ones) are some of the most durable wheelset out in the market; as long the wheelset is well looked after then one should not have any issues with them.

Then again, if you needs an excuse to get a new wheelset then you've got yourself one already. no needs to ask our advices on that. :thumbup:

They haven't been serviced. Had them for about two years maybe. If I get them serviced, I can't train, can't afford that. besides some truing, they haven't been touched.

They haven't been serviced. Had them for about two years maybe. If I get them serviced, I can't train, can't afford that. besides some truing, they haven't been touched.

Thats why is say it's good to have a spare set of cheap wheels.

Also if you try and sell your R Sys and they pretty low milage without to many dings you could get the R2k back.

Put GP4000 on the R Sys and Gatorskins on the Aksiums.