Time to Get the Hell Out of Here...

Shebeen posted a link to an article in the New York Times yesterday. I read the article with a heavy heart.

http://nytimes.com/2015/04/13/opinion/the-end-of-the-rainbow-nation-myth.html?referrer= 

Essentially the author (a young black reporter called Sisonke Msimang who mostly works for the Mail & Gaurdian and the Maverick) writes, with elegance and eloquence, if not rationality, about her hostile frustrations with the status quo.

She conjures up the robust warrior phantoms of Chris Hani and Steve Biko and contrasts them to the delicate conciliatory spirit of Nelson Mandela.

She has had enough, she says. No more reconciliation. That time, the time of dialogue and peace must now come to a brutal end.

She speaks of the bitter anger and the rage that black people feel towards white people. That is the new "dialogue" it seems.

Whites have not paid for their sins, she cries. And that there are many, many black people who are willing to help to make them pay.

She is passionate in her rectitude. She will brook no argument or contrary opinion making any attempt at debate a circular argument.

So whether she is right or wrong is not the point. That she, and many others apparently, feel this way is the point.

The frustrations they feel are currently finding an outlet in inanimate objects, land grabs and, now, violent xenophobic attacks.

How much time do we have? Well, I think that our time in paradise is coming to an end.

Edited by SAGecko
  • Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

many threads running at the moment, im sure most know my opinion

as a white privelaged SA, a businessman i can tell you I dont see 5 more years of the country as we know it, not even close,

my usual friends will jump in in two min calling me a racist and and and

facts that will not change

the black man in SA by number, in the masses feel white must go,

my company has been running for over 40years we have clients who have been with us for 40 years who have PULLED THE PLUG since we are not bee level 2, we had a nice lunch and it was told to us level 1 or at the least level 2 or you are out,,,,,im not giving my company away so this month 2 loooong term customers gone,,,,many many more friendly luches on the cards as we do mostly minning and construction base business 

there are many ways of removing a race, the problem is we are frogs in a pot

i cannot leave, i do not have the funds and i have 2 families due to divorce, also i am not an educated man with a degree and my age counts against me

sadly things are going to be getting very ugly soon

the blacks in south africa have too much hate, and they have the minority to blame for the majority of failures

if you are living with your head in the ground and you are not part of the people at grass roots you are in for a beeeeg surprise, dont sit in your corporate office and think you know whats actually happening because you reading the papers and twitter

everywhere you go try and actually pay attention to the attitude and hate towards whites in this country, yes there is the exception, but go somewhere where you need assistance and that person in "power" must help you

what most also always forget this government wants a country running around chasing its tail putting out fires because all it does it take your eyes off the fact that they are raping this country and taking it for "all" it has

sadly there are people who still dont see it

post deleted in 5,4,3,2,

if you are living with your head in the ground and you are not part of the people at grass roots you are in for a beeeeg surprise, dont sit in your corporate office and think you know whats actually happening because you reading the papers and twitter

everywhere you go try and actually pay attention to the attitude and hate towards whites in this country, yes there is the exception, but go somewhere where you need assistance and that person in "power" must help you

I get worried and I think I need to go but we do a lot of work in Zululand and our working relationships are great - there is a mutual understanding of collaboration. Right now I am sitting in the most rural northern most part of KZN assisting a company with the management of their forestry company taken over from the state forests

In my opinion the urban areas are the biggest melting pot and where you see the biggest differential between left and white wing in ALL races

I get worried and I think I need to go but we do a lot of work in Zululand and our working relationships are great - there is a mutual understanding of collaboration. Right now I am sitting in the most rural northern most part of KZN assisting a company with the management of their forestry company taken over from the state forests

In my opinion the urban areas are the biggest melting pot and where you see the biggest differential between left and white wing in ALL races

Diving back from St Lucia in January, I was pleasantly surprised at how clean and orderly the countryside and the villages were in Zululand.

The contrast in values and attitude between that area and the more cosmopolitan areas is stark. 

and the most vicious hate crimes,,,,however it is now coming into the cities and when companies start closing due to economic and political pressure it will just increase

there is not one single positive showing things will be getting better

at least trevor noah got out :ph34r:

i just wish this government who hates us that much will pay us and resettle us in a country that wants people who understand the concept of working for a living and not burning down and stealing and feeling entitled to every thing

sadly there are people who still dont see it

I see it Dips. I see many frogs in many pots. All around me.

And I had a distasteful epiphany yesterday.

If I see it, if I believe that there is an imminent danger to my family and my way of life, then I am derelict in my obligations as a husband and father if I stand idly and let the force of circumstance take control of my future.

I see it Dips. I see many frogs in many pots. All around me.

And I had a distasteful epiphany yesterday.

If I see it, if I believe that there is an imminent danger to my family and my way of life, then I am derelict in my obligations as a husband and father if I stand idly and let the force of circumstance take control of my future.

i hope you one of the lucky ones who can make a change in your families future,

now all the tree huggers will say thats what people have been saying since 94, but i honestly cannot see how educated people can see a future that is not full of blood shed,poverty and pain

now all the tree huggers will say thats what people have been saying since 94, but i honestly cannot see how educated people can see a future that is not full of blood shed,poverty and pain

to be honest I didn't get the same feeling from reading that article. I'm not going to wade into the debate as it will just go down the same road as other threads.

BUT, I'm one of the optimists and have dialed down my positive outlook a bit with the rudderless showerhead running the show. 

Maybe my head is in the sand, but I'm not in a mad rush to go off anywhere (have got a british passport so it does give me more options if push came to shove). In the past six months I've had a car broken into (guy got caught, trial is next month), and had three burglaries at home. It's not a nice way to live, but we do accept it as 'the price of paradise'. For me it's still worth it.

I'm a British Citizen so in that respect yes, My wife and I are lucky. My 12 year old daughter will also be one of the lucky ones.

Time is running out for my son who is 18 in May.

Time has run out for my 19 year old son.

I cannot leave them behind.

This was one of the things that worried me when i made the choice to move.I worked in the townships and saw the conflict between the locals and foreigners.

I have also worked in a few African states and one thing is always the same......things went sour in a few days.Not months or days but hours.

Many of these guys are ex-military that fled to SA to seek refuge from prosecution in Nigeria and Somalia for war crimes.Some were pirates pirates before moving down South.They also have affiliation to terrorist groups.Many of these guys have access to firearms and i really hope the SA government takes threats like this seriously.

​They will make the streets of SA their battlegrounds and the Army and SAPS can't cope.

Foreigners threaten guerilla warfare

Durban - Despite being attacked, having their shops looted and being left stranded, foreign nationals were on Tuesday adamant that they would not be forced out of the city of Durban. 

Some of those affected by the growing xenophobic violence sweeping through several areas of Durban vowed to resort to guerrilla warfare to defend themselves. 

“We will defend ourselves.We will retaliate in full force,” irate shop owner Richard Condonso told the African News Agency. 

Tensions remained high in central Durban on Tuesday night as the violence spilled over into neighbouring areas, with locals and foreigners at each other’s throats. 

The streets were strewn with rubbish - evidence of shops being looted. 

Despite, police reinforcements from around the country being deployed as the tensions mounted, foreign nationals felt officers had disappointed them by not offering enough protection against their attackers. 

“We are under attack, people are coming from everywhere. Cops are sitting back and let it go on. Maybe they are tired of us. I suspect they also attack us when not in uniform,” said Condonso. 

The foreign nationals claim about 15 people have lost their lives during the attacks. They claim five children were burnt to death in Isiphingo, south of Durban, while in another attack in KwaMashu, north of Durban, a group of foreigners were locked inside a house and burnt to death. 

The foreigners ANA spoke to felt Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithin’s utterances in March during a moral regeneration event in Pongolo were to blame for the violent attacks on them. 

“We are requesting those who come from outside to please go back to their countries,” Zwelithini reportedly said. 

“The fact that there were countries that played a role in the country’s struggle for liberation should not be used as an excuse to create a situation where foreigners are allowed to inconvenience locals. I know you were in their countries during the struggle for liberation. But the fact of the matter is you did not set up businesses in their countries,” Zwelethini told residents of Pongolo. 

Patrick Abdul, one of the foreigners affected by the xenophobic uprising, told ANA: “The King should bring peace not war. We want the United Nations to help us.” 

Earlier on Tuesday, some areas of Durban resembled a war zone as police tried to quell the violence. 

The city was plunged into chaos when some taxis were caught in the crossfire with windows being smashed as some foreign nationals hiding in a block of flats (Abyssin Accommodation) in West Street threw stones and rocks at locals. 

Police had their hands full trying to calm down the angry mob of locals gathered at the apartment block. 

The streets were littered with glass. 

Police had to use teargas to separate the warring groups. 

A local, who refused to be named, said the foreign nationals deserved what was happening to them. 

“We are tired of them. They are criminals. They do house break-ins. Ever since they came into the country, the crime rate has escalated”. 

Shops in central Durban were closed on Tuesday while the knobkierrie-wielding mob of locals assaulted foreign nationals and looted their shops in Durban. 

Metro police rushed around to make sure shops were properly closed as some foreigners fled without closing them properly. 

KwaZulu-Natal police spokesperson, Jay Naicker declined to comment. 

ANA

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/foreigners-threaten-guerilla-warfare-1.1845104#.VS4_DM6Za--

to be honest I didn't get the same feeling from reading that article. I'm not going to wade into the debate as it will just go down the same road as other threads.

BUT, I'm one of the optimists and have dialed down my positive outlook a bit with the rudderless showerhead running the show. 

Maybe my head is in the sand, but I'm not in a mad rush to go off anywhere (have got a british passport so it does give me more options if push came to shove). In the past six months I've had a car broken into (guy got caught, trial is next month), and had three burglaries at home. It's not a nice way to live, but we do accept it as 'the price of paradise'. For me it's still worth it.

there are very few who can honestly say with out bullshitting themselves that there is much to be positive, if anything

Question is. How long will it take before the countries where all the South Africans go tell them to go back as they don't have enough jobs for them and they are taking the work away from the residents of that country. 

Where must I go? My family has been here for centuries. It's not like I can go back to my homeland because I'm already there.

I have never been a person that run away from my problems and that is one of the reasons I'm still here. I will probably not have a problem to pack my things tomorrow and leave but what about the people that stay behind? Do I just pack up and leave them to fend for themselves? I will not be able to take my remaining family with me and they do not have the fund to join me. I just don't have the heart to leave them here. It will kill me if I leave and find out something happened to them whilst I'm sitting safely abroad.

Maybe my head is in the sand, 

Yes Shebeen. This is indeed the case. At least make some plans bud.

With respect to your British Passport. For me, this has been both a blessing and a curse because it has allowed me the warm comfort of being able to "go to the UK" at the drop of a hat if the fecal matter hit the fan.

This false sense of security is now sinking its fangs deep into my ass. It's all happening way too quickly now for me to ensure a viable migration.

Question is. How long will it take before the countries where all the South Africans go tell them to go back as they don't have enough jobs for them and they are taking the work away from the residents of that country. 

Where must I go? My family has been here for centuries. It's not like I can go back to my homeland because I'm already there.

I have never been a person that run away from my problems and that is one of the reasons I'm still here. I will probably not have a problem to pack my things tomorrow and leave but what about the people that stay behind? Do I just pack up and leave them to fend for themselves? I will not be able to take my remaining family with me and they do not have the fund to join me. I just don't have the heart to leave them here. It will kill me if I leave and find out something happened to them whilst I'm sitting safely abroad.

hennie my mates that have already left send me emails all the time asking are we ok they get better info than we do about whats happening, i hear what you are saying about how will you feel if something happens because my mates and family feel the same way,,,,other way of looking at it is HOW WILL YOU FEEL WHEN IT HAPPENS WHILE YOU STILL HERE or happens TO YOU

ITS *** NON OF US WANT TO GO, BUT OPTIONS HAVE/ARE RUNNING OUT DAILY

Yes Shebeen. This is indeed the case. At least make some plans bud.

With respect to your British Passport. For me, this has been both a blessing and a curse because it has allowed me the warm comfort of being able to "go to the UK" at the drop of a hat if the fecal matter hit the fan.

This false sense of security is now sinking its fangs deep into my ass. It's all happening way too quickly now for me to ensure a viable migration.

me too

its also not easy to just leave all your belongings behind. My folks have recently moved into a retirement house and I have inherited a lot of their furniture....this makes it even more difficult as I now have the couch that I lay on in the sun listening to squad cars in a sunny spot in my house....I know its just things but dammit....and then there's the dogs.....

other people around the world will never understand the mental conflict that we go through for these exact reasons - and by we, I mean any single person who has to grapple with the decision of leaving your home country..be it zimbabweans, somalians, north koreans, or us south africans