Toughest affordable races

GlockG4

None of the races are that affordable any more! This weekend in Clarens cost close to R4500, excluding the entry fees!

If you do any of the events in another province or where accommodation is a requirement, you won't get away with much change from R5000. 

This includes fuel, accommodation and food for the average family of 4...

+1 - The weekend in Clarens cost me 5K, but it was me the wife and my two kids.

Edited by David Truter

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough is such a relative thing. I find two sets of 3x1min sprints to be way tougher than something like Baviaans or 36One.

That said - the toughest "normal" race (I'm excluding 24hr events) that I have done is the 36One. Tougher than Epic, tougher than Baviaans. It's just the sheer distance and time out there, and the fact that you start in the dark, and stay in the dark for a long long time.

What makes attakwas so tought, aside from the obvious?

Attakwas:121km, 2900m

Meerendal: 107km, 2900m

Sabie: 115k, 3050m

In terms of climbing I would say sabie and meerendal are worse? (Havent done any of the 3 myself)

I understand that some people live for climbing events, but I cant climb for ****, but I can ride long hours! To each his own, just talking in general.

24h+ Races

Desert Dash: 370km

Trans Draak:210km

Trans Baviaans:230km

360ne

These are the ones that I know off, how do they compair? Sias?

Flight - R 1,600 (Discovery & Kulula with max discount)

Car hire - R 400 (as above)

B & B - R 350

Shuttle - R 400

Hotel George - R 1,200 (sure you can get cheaper)

Meals - R 400

Beer - R 500

Entry - R 650 (I think)

Gotta luv someone that spends more on beer than meals :clap:  :clap: :clap:  

24h+ Races Haven't done any... The thing with 24h races is that you are constantly around people on the circuit and you get cheered on every now and then. On the ultra-ultra's it's just you, your bike and the road.

Desert Dash: 370km Very, very tough. This thing screws with your mind! Emotionally, physically and mentally draining.

Trans Draak:210km Haven't done it yet

Trans Baviaans:230km Very nice race! Not physically and mentally as hard as the Dash and 36One.

360ne Also very, very tough, but I somehow find the Dash to be more of bastard than this, though there is more total ascent on the 36one. I finished both 36ones I started, but only 3 of the 6 Dashes I attempted.

These are the ones that I know off, how do they compair? Sias?

Van Gaalens marathon on a hot day.........

......but then again Dullstroom Ultra..........really makes the legs and lungs cry in unison.

Make an adventure of it? Book accommodation at the start/finish, have someone drive down with you to second you. It is really not that bad, do it once and you won't look back.

I drive down with someone to drive the car from start to finish. Book accommodation at both start and finish, take a few days before start, and 1-2 after finish.

They also have a service where your car is driven down to finish

Edited by jarek.pski

What makes attakwas so tought, aside from the obvious?

Attakwas:121km, 2900m

Meerendal: 107km, 2900m

Sabie: 115k, 3050m

In terms of climbing I would say sabie and meerendal are worse? (Havent done any of the 3 myself)

I understand that some people live for climbing events, but I cant climb for ****, but I can ride long hours! To each his own, just talking in general.

I think it's the hard and isolated terrain. Sudden changes in weather. The climbing isn't spread equally over the race distance, it comes in 'bursts'. No shade and no tall vegetation to hide you from the sun... not sure actually.

Now that you mention it, when Barberton used to be on the MTN calendar the rate of climb per km was greater then Atta, but Atta still took twice the time :eek:

Maybe I just suck at mtb :whistling: