2015 KZNMTB Enduro #3 - Giba MTB Park

nigelhicks

KZN's premiere MTB Park, Giba Gorge near Pinetown played host to the 3rd and final round of the KZNMTB Enduro and Downhill Series presented by NMI-DSM, on the 18th and 19th April. The Enduro event took place on Saturday 18th, attracting a field of 120 riders who would battle it out for final points over four dusty, loose stages.

Click here to view the article

Was awesome! I came sooo late but still managed to do all 4 stages and crashed sooo hard on stage 3! 

Thanks to Morne for having my chip ready for me and for the helping with the map to starts!

My first year doing Enduro's and I cant stop talking about it to my mates that are still doing the marathons, they duno what they missing, hehehe!

Thanks to all the organizers and sponsors for making it all happen! Lets make the KZN champs HUGE!!!

Cheers

Can someone explain to me what is in those massive backpacks of the #Enduro riders? 

Since the Enduro races are fully self supported one needs to carry any spares that would be potentially needed on the trail, including sufficient liquid (and food) for the race. Those under seat tool bags are too rattly can potentially get ripped off when your seat is dropped and in general look ***.

Locally the events (I've participated in) vary in distance from about 15km (@ Giba) to about 25km (@ Karkloof) where we had temps of 40C+ on the day, so carrying enough liquid is important. Plus there is no one to wince and moan to about water tables as there are none. It also offers some back protection but not the primary reason why people choose to wear them.

The backpacks are worn by maybe 50% of the field. It comes down to personal preference.

Since the Enduro races are fully self supported one needs to carry any spares that would be potentially needed on the trail, including sufficient liquid (and food) for the race. Those under seat tool bags are too rattly can potentially get ripped off when your seat is dropped and in general look ***.

I believe on the last EWS race last year one of the top riders was carrying somethin like 3 rear derailuers, just because he had to finish the race to podium for the season, so he wasn't taking any chances

Nigel, get some knee pads man :-)

hahahaha I had lent mine to my mother-in-law 2 weeks before and forgot to get them back.

So had to go without. hahahaha

This is a bit late, but here are some of my POV vids from the Enduro!

Unfortunately my editing experience is pretty low, so they look a bit blocky unless you view them in 720p60.

The first is the Friday practice, loads of bails and some colourful language on this one!  :blush:

The rest are 3 of the stages

Enjoy!

Edited by David Messem (dINGLE485)