Buying gear in Europe

goedgedacht

I am travelling to Europe in mid-May and was wondering if it would be worth it to buy kit, components etc there to save a bit.  Winter is a thing of the past there so I assume winter clothing and warm stuff will be on sales.

I am going to be in Paris, Antwerp, Amsterdam, and quite a few cities in Germany.  

• Do you perhaps know of cycling shops I could visit?  Or perhaps order stuff online and get it delivered?
  • Are there any pitfalls or issues bringing cycling stuff back?
  • Any other useful tips you know about?

Would be great to hear from the guys that bought stuff that way already.

Goedgedacht

Hi, as a start, if you're bringing in clothing, remove all tags, otherwise if stopped, you'll get nailed with the hefty duties in the region if 40%.

I am travelling to Europe in mid-May and was wondering if it would be worth it to buy kit, components etc there to save a bit.  Winter is a thing of the past there so I assume winter clothing and warm stuff will be on sales.

I am going to be in Paris, Antwerp, Amsterdam, and quite a few cities in Germany.  

• Do you perhaps know of cycling shops I could visit?  Or perhaps order stuff online and get it delivered?

Goedgedacht

In May you'll get good discounts on Winter kit.Prices are very similar when you convert.

Try Decathlon.  The BTWIN kit is great!  Affordable and have different ratings for the planned hours in the saddle.

I just came back from Europe and especially looked for decent cycle kits on that side, but my time was limited though.

I was a little disappointed.

I bought Assos bibs in Zurich at Velosport, around 30% cheaper than the SA price.

The few cycle shops in Stuttgart I visited was not great.

They did not compared well to the likes of Chris Willemse and Cyclelab.

I spoke to a Swiss guy at the Epic who told me that the cycle shops are competing with online shops that can deliver anywhere in Europe within 24 hours.

However, in Germany you might want to visit Gallery Kaufhoff (similar to our Edgards, just MUCH bigger) and such shops.   Like Gummibear says, the winter stuff is marked down dramatically now in some cases.

Watches in Germany is also cheaper than in Dubai and here and you can claim their VAT back at their airport.

I priced a watch here R10k, Dubai R13.5k, Germany 2 places R7k after their VAT was claimed back.

I spoke to a Swiss guy at the Epic who told me that the cycle shops are competing with online shops that can deliver anywhere in Europe within 24 hours.

Bike24 sometimes have some good deals on Assos.Been buying from them for the last while and steering clear of CRC.

https://www.bike24.com

If you looking for road / track kit , close to Amsterdam there is a great shop Vosfietsen . It's in Zwanenberg. They have a huge range of bikes , frames , clothing , components etc. and reasonable prices. Well worth a visit even if you just window shopping.

If you know your size in a particular brand, I recommend you shop online at your leisure before you leave, and have the parcels delivered to your hotel.

Works for me... 

I am travelling to Europe in mid-May and was wondering if it would be worth it to buy kit, components etc there to save a bit. Winter is a thing of the past there so I assume winter clothing and warm stuff will be on sales.

• Do you perhaps know of cycling shops I could visit? Or perhaps order stuff online and get it delivered?

Goedgedacht

www.bikeman.com. They're in Spain. Great prices, Engrish not so good but worth buying from