2015 Sappi Howick MTB Classic

Griffin

The 2015 Sappi Howick MTB Classic is being held on 7 June 2015...totally new routes that will utilizing a lot of the existing trails in a new way.

We are starting to clear and finalize the routes..but would really appreciate YOUR input as to how we can make the event more fun and give you bang-for-your-buck!

All constructive suggestions welcome :)

• 1 month later...

Sappi Howick MTB receives 40km make-over

Howick – Mountain bike enthusiasts taking part in this year’s Sappi Howick MTB Race on Sunday 7 June – the oldest event on KZN MTB’s calendar – are already looking forward to trying out the all-new 40km Classic route at this year’s race.

The revised course is still set to offer riders a raw and unplugged mountain biking adventure however organisers are confident it will also bring a breath of KZN Midlands fresh air to the well-established gathering.

“We’ve run the previous route for the past three years and so we felt it was time to freshen things up a bit,” explains race coordinator and Howick MTB Club chairman Gordon Beard.

“The new route will still incorporate all of the features of the previous route that proved so popular such as single track, jeep track and a couple of technical sections however these elements will be experienced on a completely new course.”

Starting at its traditional venue at the picturesque Howick High School, the route sees riders head out of town with the first seven kilometres of good quality jeep track and the Yellow Brick Road climb set to spread the field ahead of the first of many single track sections.

“The single track is where all the fun really begins!” explains course designer Kemsley Wood.

“We have incorporated most of our well used and favourite trails in this year’s course but many of them we will be circulating in the opposite direction to what they are normally ridden in, making for a totally different ridding experience.

“We have also broken up the single track stretches with short bits of jeep track to allow for passing,” he adds.

The 10km mark signals the start of the biggest climb of the day as participants make their way from the Dip Tank single track, along five kilometres of single track and jeep track and up to the renowned Fire Tower.

“Just as riders approach the top of this climb they will be faced with a little sting in the tail that will test even the more skilled of riders or may produce a brief portage for the less skilled,” says Wood.

“Once at the top, the next 6km or so are awesome as the course heads towards the Karkloof region via some of their magnificent trail network!”

Arguably, the best part of the ride then starts at the second water table at the 24km mark with 14 of the final 16km stretching out along the trails of region’s renowned single track including stretches through some of Sappi’s plantations in the area.

“There is some technical rocky riding to start with, then it opens up to some wonderful flowing single track where you will come across the short, sharp, rocky climb Bramble Dip – gear down and take the challenge head on, not many people can say they have ridden Bramble Dip!” encourages Wood.

At the bottom of the decent riders then turn and work their way back to the Curry's Post road crossing via many of the original trails such as Bonga Bonga Dip, Fast Track, Zig Zags, Rock and Roll and Harry's before taking on Greg’s, Tickety Boo and Mr Nice Man’s once they’ve crossed the road.

“A short sprint on the tar back to the school takes riders to the finish line where they will know they have done a tough yet hugely rewarding 40km ride!” says Wood.

“I am not the fittest person around and I went for a test ride on the route recently and while I was a little out of breath in the latter stages, I was still able ride the route quite comfortably and cope with its challenges throughout,” added Beard.

For those a little less fit, less adventurous or less willing, the 19km Sappi Intermediate Ride also offers cyclists a memorable time in the saddle while the 10km Family Fun Ride is the ideal chance for the younger members of the family to enjoy their slice of the action.

The 2015 Sappi Howick MTB Race takes place from Howick High School on Sunday 7 June with participants able to choose from the 10km Family Ride, 19km Sappi Intermediate Ride and the 40km Sappi Howick Classic. Entries can be submitted online via www.roag.co.za by 3 June and more information can be found at www.howickmountainbiking.co.za

Okay.....this is Howie....our resident cyclist gnome in his hut.  The 40km route will take you up a windy singletrack climb, and close to the top keep an eye out for him!!! He loves selfies so stop for a minute to take a selfie with him! 

post-57454-0-50996300-1432925548_thumb.jpg

Howie is a Howick trails legend :) Rumor has it that at sundown he has been seen hanging out at Goblin Glen singletrack too..but thats just a rumor...maybe...

He was gnome-napped a few years ago..but we managed to rescue him...and ummm...lets just say the forest is big and they still haven't found the 'nappers bodies ;) 

Howick MTB part of Swiss World Cup build up for Hatherly

Howick – First year Under-23 competitor Alan Hatherly snuck in an eleventh hour entry in for Sunday’s Sappi Howick MTB Classic that the rapidly emerging cross country star will look to use as part of his build up towards the third leg of the UCI MTB World Cup that takes place in Lenzerheide, Switzerland in a month’s time.

The young Kargo Pro MTB charger had hardly touched down after his recent European stint that saw him impress at the first two World Cup events in Czech Republic and Germany respectively when he was already looking towards his next South African assignment to maintain his outstanding form.

“I initially was going to go up with Brendon (Davids) to the South African Marathon Champs in Van Gaalen but after getting back home from Europe and chatting to both my coach and my team manager, Shaun Peschl, we decided that it was probably best for me to give them a miss,” says Hatherly.

“Having set my focus for the year entirely on cross country and with me having been in Europe the last couple of weeks, we just felt that it probably wasn’t the best idea for me to try go race 115km without fully preparing for an ultra-marathon event like nationals.”

Instead though the tough yet fast-natured Sappi Howick MTB Classic will provide Hatherly with enough of a cross country-type outing that will keep him in the groove as he builds towards his Swiss challenge.

“I’m really looking forward to this weekend’s Howick Classic.

“It’s a super fun event with some great single track and I know exactly what to expect having ridden it a good few times before.”

Hatherly’s recent European expedition saw the youngster finish 37th and 24th in Nové Mesto na Morave and Albstadt respectively, crossing the line as the second first year Under-23 competitor on both occasions.

The Kargo Pro MTB rider will now turn to the local racing scene to maintain his good run of form.

“The trip was definitely a good experience! I learnt a lot – which you just can’t do back here in South Africa because the guys over there are just so fast and the fields are so big.

“This weekend will be more of a training ride than an actual race for me where I’ll try simulate a World Cup environment as best I can and look to go as hard as possible right from the start.

“Obviously once you’re on that start line you naturally want to race though so I’ll definitely also be hoping to try pick up a win at Howick as well.

Hatherly will look to follow up his participation in Sunday’s Sappi Howick MTB Classic with the Safire Baynesfield MTB Classic – the fourth leg of the 2015 Quattro ROAG Series – next weekend before wrapping up his brief stint back home with the fourth round of the Stihl SA Cup Series at Cascades in Pietermaritzburg which also doubles as a Junior World Series event.

The 2015 Sappi Howick MTB Race takes place from Howick High School on Sunday 7 June with participants able to choose from the 10km Family Ride, 19km Sappi Intermediate Ride and the 40km Sappi Howick Classic. Entries can be submitted online via www.roag.co.za by 3 June and more information can be found at www.howickmountainbiking.co.za

hope wont be too cold.

Wasn't too bad...although I think some of the Durbanites looked a tad frosty ;) 

Frosty.... That's a good way to put it! The temp was 2 degrees when we got there and it didn't move much from there before the start!

But the pace was hot enough to get things warmed up pretty quickly :)

Great event - thanks to all the organizers for a challenging and technical route. I ran out of talent a few times yesterday, and I'm definitely feeling the effects today.

heard the numbers were a bit low...the cold weather might have played a part

Numbers were down...following the trend across all events recently.

Over and above that we find ourselves having to compete against either Comrades (and the related traffic challenges) or KZN Enduro/DH Champs and SA XCM Champs over the same weekend. 

The cold may have played a role too but its winter...and that comes around every year :P

Edited by Griffin

Over and above that we find ourselves having to compete against either Comrades (and the related traffic challenges) or KZN Enduro/DH Champs and SA XCM Champs over the same weekend. 

The cold may have played a role too but its winter...and that comes around every year :P

still the best event on the calendar

Noticed the numbers were down, may be cause of the cold - may be cause of the brutality of last years 40km including puffadders pass I think its called.

This year was superb though, track was perfect - trees maybe a little close together at times :whistling: but awesome!

Will definitely be back! Preferred it this year, rather then challenging comrades traffic.

Noticed the numbers were down, may be cause of the cold - may be cause of the brutality of last years 40km including puffadders pass I think its called.

This year was superb though, track was perfect - trees maybe a little close together at times :whistling: but awesome!

Will definitely be back! Preferred it this year, rather then challenging comrades traffic.

puffies is mtb heaven

Yesterdays ride was one of the funnest races I've ever done. What an awesome race.