Immoral or not... you tell me (dilemmas of a shop-owner)

Naas Vermaak

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it possible that the insurance does not collect the "wreck" and associated parts?

The only way the "customer" can legally obtain the parts is to offer to purchase said parts from the insurance.

And why would one claiming under warrantee, as well as from insurance is not on....

Is your customer perhaps part of the ruling party?

This is not a client you want....

Aside from the insurance fraud - How is this going to work?

The insurance company will pay the bike shop fo rthe full replacement, and the bike shop get a warrantee frame - then is the client going to expect the bike shop to give him cash for the value of the warrantee frame?

How to cause trouble - insurance companies have deep pockets for investigating and actioning fraudulent claims....

Me - I would kick the customer to the kerb and have a chat to the insurance company.... that is the morally and ethically correct thing to do - and I suspect that covers your legal obligation too.

This grates me.

I recently had a claim, I saw my frame was cracked through after a ride. 3 year odd old bike, problem was I bought it second hand from a guy who did not do 300km's on it.

Insurance (Western National) told me to go away.

I had to replace my bike.

This guy is the type of oke who messes things up for guys like me.

Nou is ek sommer weer die moer in

Bike owner, insurance company and manufacturer is to blame for allowing this to happen. The insurance company and manufacturer should have better controls in place and the simple one would be to take possession of the broken frame in return for paying out on the warranty or insurance claim. That way, bike owner can only claim from one party. Also insurance should request a letter from manufacturer stating that warranty claim was either granted or denied.

If you have to ask the question then you already know the answer...

I have had similar experiences in my time in this lovely industry, I had a guy who told me that he deliberately placed his bike behind his car and "accidentally reversed over it" just cuz his riding buddy had just bought himself a new bike. When I told him that it was fraud he told me "listen I don't care what you have to do - I want a new bike out of the deal" so I told him I would have nothing to do with the deal and wouldn't even sell him a new bike if he did get paid out.

He went to another shop and did the deed and came back and bragged about the awesome deal he got (can't remember the exact  figures but he scored +-R10k cash out of this deal)...

Scum...

Most insurance companies (apart from Cyclesure) don't want the salvage/old parts as more often than not it is too much effort to send a surveyor out to inspect ( and then they don't know what they are looking at) and collect the left overs...I have worked in shops where an insurance claim bike sits for over a year before eventually stripping what is usable and disposing of the rest.

IN fact there was a guy who posted his busted frame for sale here a few weeks back boasting that the insurance never collected...and he wanted R2500 for it :eek:  When I told him that I would take it off his hands for free because there is no value for anyone in a broken frame he soon deleted the ad...It was an older (2008) Specialized Tarmac frame.

Client has a one year old bike, frame breaks(cause unknown but probably due to fall), claims from insurance, claim is successfull. He also claims ito warranty - claim is successful. Also requested to add other items to the claim that could have been damaged but hardly warrants a claim(..I am uncomfortable with the state of affairs) but we push ahead(client is the boss), shifters and derailleurs and chain and cassette, tyres, almost a new bike now.

Many stories like the one above....

Are we getting screwed by insurance companies because clients screwed them or is it the other way round?

Is it right to get compensated twice for the same thing? To add on to the list of breakages and in the end, after being compensated more than fully still insist on getting the old parts and keep on using it for months to come...

But , like I said the client is the boss... :(

Its not difficult.

The sole purpose of insurance is to put the person that suffered the loss back in the same position they were before the loss occurred, it is not there to enrich the client.

So if this claim goes through is he in the same position as before?

Nope...

Report it and move on.

Oh and the customer isn't always the boss and they are certainly not always right.

Edited by marko35s

Agreed I have often found that telling someone no and sticking to it will earn more respect (as well as weed out the dodgy clients).

If you stay a yes man, that believes that the client is the boss/always right, then you will have clients that will milk your good will for all it is worth and ultimately you and your business suffer...