Immoral or not... you tell me (dilemmas of a shop-owner)

Naas Vermaak

Your warranty wont cover theft or accidental damage, like you said, however most insurers wont pay on manufacturer defect, unless you specifically ask for it, which you will only do if you dont have a warranty in the first place.... so you aren't really paying double cover.

No need for a flamesuit, was a valid question, I think :)

Yeah, accidental damage, like forgetting about height restriction bars when driving into a parkinglot with bike attached to roofrack.

The insurance on the car, (which also has a warrantee) took care of the damage the bikerack did to the car.

Silly me, did not insure the actual bikeracks. - I also did not claim or try and claim for this, as it is not a specified item on my policy.

I now roll with towbar mounted rack.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slow down guys :)

OP was what was asked and expected of me. The guy was arguing since he's paying for insurance on his bike why can't he claim twice, both in terms of the warranty and the insurance - nothing processed sofar. All the added items though and the whole atmosphere surrounding the request was upsetting to me as I felt it is wrong and client is taking a chance.

You will not believe what is expected of shopowners from the guys you're riding with on a daily basis - it's like the guy just killing the 3 little dogs with a golfclub and none of the neighbours could believe it...he's been always such a timid and good neighbour :)

make him say 10 hail hubbers and genuflect before the one and only steel frame making the sign of the wheel and all will be forgiven

Edited by GoLefty!!

I did not read through the entire thread, BUT imo if the shop owner facilitates he is also guilty. I would find it hard that the customer can claim on the warranty and not go through a shop (but may be I am wrong?).

Shop owner should refuse one of the two claims.

As forlosing a customer, clearly dishonest customers are not the ones you want, are they?

Can't claim from insurance and warranty! The warrantied frame is theoretically then owned by the insurance company. 

Client has a one year old bike, frame breaks(cause unknown but probably due to fall), claims from insurance, claim is successfull. He also claims ito warranty - claim is successful. Also requested to add other items to the claim that could have been damaged but hardly warrants a claim(..I am uncomfortable with the state of affairs) but we push ahead(client is the boss), shifters and derailleurs and chain and cassette, tyres, almost a new bike now.

Many stories like the one above....

Are we getting screwed by insurance companies because clients screwed them or is it the other way round?

Is it right to get compensated twice for the same thing? To add on to the list of breakages and in the end, after being compensated more than fully still insist on getting the old parts and keep on using it for months to come...

But , like I said the client is the boss... :(

No, Client is NOT the boss... Conscience is the boss... Just say no.

Yeah, accidental damage, like forgetting about height restriction bars when driving into a parkinglot with bike attached to roofrack.

In my case, forgetting about the bike on a roofrack will be a guaranteed accident waiting to happen - only the timing & location needs to be finalised

In my case, forgetting about the bike on a roofrack will be a guaranteed accident waiting to happen - only the timing & location needs to be finalised

Are you saying, sommer to claim upfront then? ;) Just kidding :D

Are you saying, sommer to claim upfront then? ;) Just kidding :D

If I have to calculate my own premium it will be something along the line of claim amount minus a bit of interest

The correct way of doing this is very simple:

1. Submit the warranty claim to manufacturer.

2. Register your "possible" claim with the insurer telling them you are waiting for a response from manufacturer on warranty claim. Once you receive the manufacturers response submit a copy to insurers and claim what was not covered under warranty or cancel the claim if fully covered.

Did exactly that with my one claim a year ago and the insurer actually appreciated the feedback from the manufacturer in order to substantiate my claim.

The correct way of doing this is very simple:

1. Submit the warranty claim to manufacturer.

2. Register your "possible" claim with the insurer telling them you are waiting for a response from manufacturer on warranty claim. Once you receive the manufacturers response submit a copy to insurers and claim what was not covered under warranty or cancel the claim if fully covered.

Did exactly that with my one claim a year ago and the insurer actually appreciated the feedback from the manufacturer in order to substantiate my claim.

Broker, are you an actual broker?

I don't insure, nor never will I insure a bicycle, so it is with interest that I read the thread.

As an aside, when we have a partners meeting & discuss a bit of strategy, one partner HAS to be devils advocate, so that we don't have a "Yes Sir, that is a great idea Sir" scenario. You really have to make your case, to be able to shoot down the guy that is being a thorn in your idea.

In this case, I would like to take the client's side, (mostly because I am not a fan of insurers, & their get out of jail cards which are in the small print). That fine print has been the downfall of many an honest person.

From my understanding, when I buy a New bike, I have a warranty on the frame (still don't understand why this isn't transferable to the second, third or fourth owner.... sounds like the first Get out of Jail card, for the manufacturer...), I pay for the Warranty, even though it isn't shown as a cost, but its factored in there.

I damage the frame, and the Manufacturer has the Option to replace or not.

So the client then takes out Insurance on the bike. The insurer has the Option to replace or not.

Now imagine one or the other declines to pay out. I have paid 1 lump sum (which includes the warranty "fee") when purchasing the frame & a monthly instalment, for peace of mind. Is it really that unfair to claim from both parties that you have been supporting?

So I can't benefit unduly, but the manufacturer & the insurer can?

From my understanding, it's Law, that you aren't allowed to benefit, but who got that law passed? TV licenses / Etolls / etc are all laws, but does it make it right?

I am pretty sure that we have seen how big business operates....

In a perfect world, as riders, we would only insure for theft, and accidental damage. Defects would be covered by the warranties, but it looks like an overlap, in that we pay for it twice.

Am I seeing it wrong?

The insurance thing is interesting to me.

BTW I have never claimed on any defective item on a bike, so I don't know if its a long & tedious process or not, but from what I have read on The Hub, some of you had to wait very patiently for issues beyond your control....

Flame suit zipped.

I think I have to agree with you. My bike is fully insured against theft spontaneous combustion ect, so I pay a monthly fee for this. When you buy a bike with a warranty that warranty is part of the price you pay for the bike, so I am paying double for bike insurance, why am I not allowed to claim from both parties? I am not stealing from enyone? But the other side of the coin is that I will be better of after I do this?

P.S. one of my bikes did break, and the manufacturer replaced the frame, and I did not claim from the insurance before I get stoned.

I think I have to agree with you. My bike is fully insured against theft spontaneous combustion ect, so I pay a monthly fee for this. When you buy a bike with a warranty that warranty is part of the price you pay for the bike, so I am paying double for bike insurance, why am I not allowed to claim from both parties? I am not stealing from enyone? But the other side of the coin is that I will be better of after I do this?

P.S. one of my bikes did break, and the manufacturer replaced the frame, and I did not claim from the insurance before I get stoned.

No. Insurance is there to cover against items / incidences that the warranty does not cover. Warranty covers ONLY failure due to manufacturing defect, normally for the first owner alone. Insurance covers against everything else. 

get the insurance to not cover you for maufacturer breakage and reduce your monthly cost?

breakage from a JRA where you take a carbon road bike and huck a 3m drop would not be considered as manufacturers defects if you get my drift

get the insurance to not cover you for maufacturer breakage and reduce your monthly cost?

breakage from a JRA where you take a carbon road bike and huck a 3m drop would not be considered as manufacturers defects if you get my drift

Dude, if I was in life insurance and advised companies on risk and exclusions, I tell them that hucking a road bike should void cover for accidental death... :-)

Dude, if I was in life insurance and advised companies on risk and exclusions, I tell them that hucking a road bike should void cover for accidental death... :-)

Oddly there don't seem to be exclusions based on stupidity.