5.10's whats happening...

Headshot

my next pair of flat shoes will probably also be skate shoes. I cant justify the price of 510's currenly.

And they are really just a glorified pair of skate shoes (the free riders anyway)

No, no they're not.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whats so special about 510 besides being midlifecrisis cool?

they grip

the soles are stiff enough that your feet don't hurt after long rides

the soles do not have any tread pattern in the front so the pins on your pedals carve into the rubber, that way your feet find the exact same spot every time you put your foot down.  Almost the same positioning effect that cleats have.

I don't agree :whistling: ... I tried riding my Jekyll with my old DC shoes I used to use for flatland. It felt like I was ice skating on my pedals compared to my Free riders (even with the big holes in the sole). The DC's were also far to flexible.

The DC's were acceptable for flatland because you spend more time standing on the tyres than the pedals. 

No, no they're not.

I'm referring to the freeriders specifically.

Some of the more beefy ones are a lot stronger, stiffer etc.

But the freeriders... Skate shoes with sticky soles.

I found my old skate shoes gripped pretty well on my flats, maybe not as well as the 510's, but at R1500 to R500, they dont have tripple the grip.

I'm referring to the freeriders specifically.

Some of the more beefy ones are a lot stronger, stiffer etc.

But the freeriders... Skate shoes with sticky soles.

I found my old skate shoes gripped pretty well on my flats, maybe not as well as the 510's, but at R1500 to R500, they dont have tripple the grip.

Again having had both you are wrong.

Again having had both you are wrong.

I too have both currently.

Can you explain why you feel the Freeriders are so much more than a skate shoe? other than the soles.

Please dont get me wrong, I love my 510's, I just cant justify what you pay for them right now.

Can you explain why you feel the Freeriders are so much more than a skate shoe? other than the soles.

Please dont get me wrong, I love my 510's, I just cant justify what you pay for them right now.

It's the compound of the rubber on the sole that makes them special. I remember trying to ride flats in my Adio Bams. Night and day compared to the 5-10's.

Yes, they're expensive. But not as expensive as some of the disco shoe options, and then if you look for some specials, you caan find them for relatively cheap 

Just to clarify do you have the Freerider or the Freerider Vxi?

It's the compound of the rubber on the sole that makes them special. I remember trying to ride flats in my Adio Bams. Night and day compared to the 5-10's.

Yes, they're expensive. But not as expensive as some of the disco shoe options, and then if you look for some specials, you caan find them for relatively cheap 

Yes, but thats what im saying - other than the soles, the freerider is pretty much a skate shoe.

To be fair, I havent done a whole bunch of riding in my skate shoes, but when I have ridden with them it wasnt night and day.

If I could get 510's for a good price I'd choose them any day.

Just to clarify do you have the Freerider or the Freerider Vxi?

Just the freeriders, the vxi's have more to them.

Like these:

post-24109-0-25014900-1430312366_thumb.jpg

Yes, but thats what im saying - other than the soles, the freerider is pretty much a skate shoe.

To be fair, I havent done a whole bunch of riding in my skate shoes, but when I have ridden with them it wasnt night and day.

Like these:

attachicon.gif510_freeride_blk_grey.jpg

Fair enough, I have the freerider Vxi and they are a lot stronger than any skate shoe I have seen.

Many crashes and on a few occasions discovering a tree stump I didn't know existed has shown the protection in the shoe is well thought out and works well.

Fair enough, I have the freerider Vxi and they are a lot stronger than any skate shoe I have seen.

Many crashes and on a few occasions discovering a tree stump I didn't know existed has shown the protection in the shoe is well thought out and works well.

Yup, the vxi is more burly and offers much more protection than the freerider

post-24109-0-53918800-1430313786_thumb.jpg

Like these:

attachicon.gif510_freeride_blk_grey.jpg

5.10's

Proving that arguing about shoes is not just for chicks...

After reading this thread I decided my tired free rider vxi's needed a pair of impact vxi friends so I ordered a pair :whistling:

post-31228-0-87640600-1430315873_thumb.jpeg

I have the free riders above as well as danny mac's (both very similar)

Before I knew about 510 I used to buy R1100 DC shoes or (insert previous skateshoe company name here / now fashion shoe company) every 6 months as they would simply fall apart. Sole eaten away and soft, hurting after long rides.

I still have my first pair of 510s which are now 4 years old and they are still in great condition minus the dirt stains. Besides for longevity they are also much better for riding as there were designed for it... I constantly use to have toe issues but no more.

So for me its either buy fashion shoes (i.e. DC's) that only last 6 months before dogs breakfast for half the price of 510s, or fork out 2k for proper riding shoes which will outlast 3 pairs of fashion shoes.

Why insist in posting something off topic?

You know why.

Anyway. On the video, and something that we have all (flat pedal supporters) been saying - if you're starting out, learn the basics on flats before deciding to switch. Don't start out on cleats.

Edited by El Capitan