QR recall affects entire bike industry

amasendeinja

This can be avoided completely by properly checking and tightening wheels before each ride. Also, never point the lever forward or in such a way that it can get caught on any obstable on the trail which would cause it to open up if snagged.

Good bit of warning though. 

Riding over a stick the wrong way can if you are unlucky have the exact same effect. I don't see a recall on any trees.

How many people have ever had a QR undo itself? And then cause a fall?

I would venture that the stick scenario will happen more than this.

QR-What??

Is this QR not at the same place as typewriters, land line round circle black phones, encyclopedia books  and 26 inch wheels?   

By the time the QR is that loose, your wheel can and will start bouncing loose, and using the front disc brake will really pull your wheel loose.

In other words: by the time your QR is this loose you've got a multitude of problems.

So this morning I checked some skewers I've got at home.  I was actually looking for some pedals, but I found these:

Campagnolo (very old and very new, internal cam)

Shimano (a few years old and very new, internal cam)

Corima (external cam)

Mavic (external cam)

DT Swiss (twist)

Two no name (QR11 like here, internal cam)

The only one that's a problem is one of the no name QR11, and that came with an indoor trainer.  If you crash your bike on the indoor trainer this way, you've got issues.

The older Shimano skewer opens past 180, but only to 190, and shouldn't catch a disc.  Maybe.  If you open it and then force it, and aim it at the cutout.

The very old Campagnolo one looks a lot like a QR11, but doesn't open past 180.

The Corima and Mavic ones are external cam, and can't open to even 180.

The DT Swiss is twist, so it doesn't open at all.