What is your Training & Race fuel???

Hi there hubbers!

I'm curious to find out what other cyclist use as fuel (energy drink; supplements; food; ect) when training or on race day?

Please share your advice and tips!

Happy cycling

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Training and racing should be done with the same 'things'. Before a long ride I eat normal oats. Water in camelbak, FIT CarboSupreme in bottles. Gels on really long rides, I use powerbar gels, it seems to work better for me and goes down easier, and I carry either some tipe of nougat or a powerbar food bar. Bananas work great (I have heard, I am allergic). On a ultra a salty potato will save your life and of course jet fuel (half coke half water) but not from the start. I usually end up not using half the things I take with me, but my shopping list also has saved my life when a water station ran out of food.

Training and racing should be done with the same 'things'. Before a long ride I eat normal oats. Water in camelbak, FIT CarboSupreme in bottles. Gels on really long rides, I use powerbar gels, it seems to work better for me and goes down easier, and I carry either some tipe of nougat or a powerbar food bar. Bananas work great (I have heard, I am allergic). On a ultra a salty potato will save your life and of course jet fuel (half coke half water) but not from the start. I usually end up not using half the things I take with me, but my shopping list also has saved my life when a water station ran out of food.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Guest notmyname

Rolled oats with a table spoon of peanut butter and honey for breakfast(hate oats so this makes it more bearable) and Two cups of good coffee. Cytopower in pack. +80km two gels pre mixed with about 150ml of water in a bottle(no mess, no fuss)I use Vooooma espresso.

Rolled oats with a table spoon of peanut butter and honey for breakfast(hate oats so this makes it more bearable) and Two cups of good coffee. Cytopower in pack. +80km two gels pre mixed with about 150ml of water in a bottle(no mess, no fuss)I use Vooooma espresso.

Try get hold of some macadamia nut butter. The Natures Choice one from Dischem.  Its a bit pricey but man its so good and way better for you than peanut butter.

Guest notmyname

Try get hold of some macadamia nut butter. The Natures Choice one from Dischem. Its a bit pricey but man its so good and way better for you than peanut butter.

Plan. Thanks I didn't think of it.

*Flame suit on - here comes a shameless add*

Training - Singletrack Fuel - Training Fuel

Racing or long rides - Singletrack Fuel - Marathon Fuel

Recovery - Singletrack Fuel - Recovery Booster

All clean, healthy and natural - built by riders for riders.

Much more than just `carbs & electrolytes`

Feel free to contact me for more info.

Just ask yourself - whats REALLY in your bottle?

Training under 2 hours nothing, over 2 hours water and bananas

''racing' on the odd occasion I do, 1 bottle of 'juice' (generally FiT CarboSupreme but not fussy) and 1 bottle of water, bananas and energy gels (generally FiT SupaGoos but again whatever I have been given free or have in the house)

Short rides I use FIT CarboTrain, road and MTB.

Longer than three hours, use mostly water and eat as much as possible (non sugar). I have been introduced to home made rice cakes by my son, he uses the Team Sky recipe (from youtube). They work like the bomb, if you eat the rice cakes on the long rides you can eat sugar as well without crashing your sugars.

Come to the conclusion that all these race fuels are basically just sweets.

I always ride with the following.

On longer rides i take some cash with to buy something should the need arise, usually fill bottles along the way

One water bottle

One bottle game

Small pack of cashews 

Small pack of drywors/blitong

energy bar (futurelife/powerbar/snacker etc.)

Iff you want to supplement: Electrolytes drink for training to replace everything you sweat out but its not a source of energy so you burn fat or the breakfast you ate. For RACING: Carb/energy drink as they do just that: Provide you with easily burned energy for that harder racing efforts.

All the rolled oats and food advice is not wrong or right butt iff you want to do this via supplement that is the way to go. 

for training i personally use either NUUN or HIGH5 ZERO both is just replacing electrolytes and some even have a dose of caffeine. Caffeine being a catalist in the process where your body goes from burning stomach content to turning to fat as an energy source. Think of that "2de asem" you experience in a race. Thats when your body found the fat as feul and is burning on all cylinders again.

Hope it helps

Edited by no calves

Peanuts are brilliant, as said macadamia nut butter on a piece of bread,bananas and the odd gel. Have noticed recently that the pre ride gels seem to help me sustain better.

Usual drinks never to sweet though and only to rehydrate.

My brother in law on longer rides takes hot cross buns & bovrill sammies ????

Edited by Aka pikey