Santa Cruz Tallboy vs Scott 910 (2015)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The long travel (LT) version of the TB might offer you more comfort but it is more trail oriented than the standard TB. I would still be happy riding it on marathon stages.

My TB LTc has not given any trouble with the pivots and I have had it a full year now.

The answer to your question is the Tall Boy .

Who ever told you the crap about the pivots should rather take up scrap booking  , clearly he has limited knowledge on the subject . 

Who ever told you the crap about the pivots should rather take up scrap booking  , clearly he has limited knowledge on the subject . 

Agreed.

This is an Uber bike where the Scott is just Meh...

You never see posts on the hub about loving your Scott.

Santa Cruz are ay cool bikes cause they are way cool tech.

I still miss my Nomad after I have had many other long travel Enduro bikes. No one ever asked me what i was riding - but when I had the Nomad everyone wanted to stop and chat.

I guess the only downside about the TB is that so many people are actually riding one these days. So it's not so exclusive as a few years ago. But that certainly won't put me off buying one (again). Just a great bike. Scott maybe a bit more racy than the TB.

Ja...that Scott will be a fair bit lighter.  Was looking at the TallBoy towards the end of last year and was a little surprised at how heavy a decently specced SC TB was - even on the top-end frame (C, CC? I forget). 

To get your SC to a similar weight to the Scott 910 would prob be around a 30K diff on your pocket.

the story of pivots wearing out is related to VPP frames from the Mid 2000's i.e just after VPP was launched. Most of the decent manufactures have addressed this issue for quite some time now

Ja...that Scott will be a fair bit lighter.  Was looking at the TallBoy towards the end of last year and was a little surprised at how heavy a decently specced SC TB was - even on the top-end frame (C, CC? I forget). 

To get your SC to a similar weight to the Scott 910 would prob be around a 30K diff on your pocket.

Ja look, it's certainly not super light. Mine's about 12kg (with dropper post, 120mm Reba, XT groupo, Mountain King/X-King, Cross max SLR). So I guess you can get it to around 11kg with 1x11 and losing the dropper post?

No doubt about it. Santa Cruz is the way to go. I have had a Blur XC 26 inch for the last 4-5 years. Absolutely no problems with the pivots. Grease them reasonably regularly with the grease gun supplied and you should have no problems.

Santa cruz all the way. I come from a downhill background and chose the Tallboy based on how quick the bike was down a hill! On paper you read 100mm rear travel but oh boy, it feels like a lot more when you hammer it! And VPP climbs like a champ. I have a CTD fox in the rear and I just leave it on open the whole time. Awesome bike.

the story of pivots wearing out is related to VPP frames from the Mid 2000's i.e just after VPP was launched. Most of the decent manufactures have addressed this issue for quite some time now

If I recall corrected SC is one of few manufacturers that has a life time warrantee on their pivots. Mate of mine rides TB1 and has not touched anything since purchase in 2012.

Bike has been in for services multiple times...

Check the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs

Edited by jarek.pski

Tallboy... no brainer!

Keep the pivots greased (with the grease gun that is supplied with the frame) and you'll be fine.

I own both (equivalent previous models). Due to very strange coincidence I ended up doing the last two W2W and the recent Gravel and Grape on the Scott. It is possible that I may do Sani on it too. Scott may not have the brand appeal but the bike has done more than I could ask of it. The shock is even the much maligned Nude. The Scott does run out lighter. The duel lockout is also great once you get it dialled.

After all the above the Santa is still closer to my heart. It feels like it runs on magic. I am thinking of putting in a longer fork though.

I'm loving my 910. Done about 300 kms now and no problems.

Just did a 1x10 conversion on the XT crank and removed the saddle bag, it's now sitting at 11.5kgs and feels great.

I'm no racing snake, but I feel like it has improved my overall riding quite a lot.

It climbs like a mountain goat, especially with someone at the wheel that never used to like climbing...

Can't comment on the Santa Cruz.