wernerhp

WernerHP ,

In July last year I bought a Specialized carbon Comp Stumjumper from Lynnwood Cyclery .

All I can say it is a FANTASTIC bike . I have XT components with Formula  brakes .

I paid less than your budget including the tubless conversion .

don't think you can go wrong with the Specialized .

Good luck with your purchaes , and whichever you get ... Enjoy !

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cube Reaction GTC Carbon Hardtail.

R28k - with FULL XT groupset, Reba RL Fork and Fulcrum Red Power wheelset.

10,7kg out of the box. Spend the rest of the bucks on proper Tubeless tyres and lightweight carbon handlebars/seatpost.

Nothing compares even remotely!

Specs are here: http://www.evobikes.co.za/bikes/cube-reaction-gtc-race-29-2015-carbon-green-2399.html

that is a damn good special 

Anthem had/has a crack problem. Usually where the seat tube and toptube connects

The Aluminium version and that was a few seasons back.

Mst cracking seat tubes now is due to overtightened seat clamps and theres a lot of manufacturers scratching their head on this one

Only thing is it's built onto XT hubs, which is cup and cone and not even remotely in the same class as Hope. For the rest I agree :)

EDIT: I lied, see they're Stan's 330, not too bad, but Hope is better still :)

LOL soek jy k*k

- I currently have a Silverback Mercury 2 (26 Dual Suspension Alu bike).

- Shock services are expensive.

- I want a lighter bike with bigger wheels for racing.  Don't know about 650bs.

- From what I've heard a 29er carbon hardtail is more forgiving than an aluminum bike due to some extra flex/shock absorption and obviously the bigger wheels roll over obstacles easier.

- I don't want two dual sussers.

- I don't want two 26ers.

carbon hardtail? what is this 2004?

seriously though, nothing worse value for money than a carbon fibre hardtail.

- From what I've heard a 29er carbon hardtail is more forgiving than an aluminum bike due to some extra flex/shock absorption

Don't believe this. The vibration frequency at which carbon makes even the tiniest difference is way above what you'll ever be able to perceive on a dirt riding surface. Carbon *supposedly* helps to dampen really high frequency vibration on road bikes, but I don't think everyone is even convinced that this really is the case.

Carbon can be stronger and lighter yes, but a good alloy bike can be better than a crappy carbon bike.

Edited by Martin Hattingh

Get a chinese carbon from Hong Fu!  They half the price of branded frames, ive had mine for 2 years now and ive ridden it hard, no issues to date.  Its 9.65kg with pedals.  

post-9483-0-04879100-1430318070_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stevief

Anyone here from Pretoria with a Giant XTC Composite 29ER 1 (2014) or Scott Scale 920 (2014) that will let me take it for a spin?

Anyone here from Pretoria with a Giant XTC Composite 29ER 1 (2014) or Scott Scale 920 (2014) that will let me take it for a spin?

I have a Giant XTC that you can take for a spin

Pm me if you want 

Edited by pellieg

You must ride both before deciding.  The XTC comp medium feels a bit cramped for me, but the 920 medium is spot on.

Not all sizes are equal.  

For my money between those two, I'd go for the Scott.  It feels much happier to ride - more neutral.

Take into account that the Giant XTC Composite and XTC Advanced SL frames are very different to each other.  The Advanced SL is almost 400g lighter and more racing orientated.

Edited by Moridin