Review: Saris Thelma 3 bike carrier

Matt

Whether just a short drive to your local trail or a weekend road trip, a bike rack is a likely essential in your cycling travels. The Saris Thelma-3 is a tow ball mounted bike carrier which, as the name suggests, holds up to three bikes.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does a road bike fit into those wide wheel mounts?

Same way just goes in deeper...look closely, you'll see the "cup" is stepped on the inside to fit the narrower tyres.

Will there be 4-bike versions of this available at a later stage?

Looks like the best alternative to Thule, and it doesn't attach to the bike frames, which is a very important factor.

Pic I saw says 29er only?

The little yellow lever let's you adjust the size to suit standard (26") or 29". When you pull back the lever you can tilt the top part of the wheel mount forwards making it smaller.

ccs-2-0-14007100-1430300660.jpg

Will there be 4-bike versions of this available at a later stage?

Looks like the best alternative to Thule, and it doesn't attach to the bike frames, which is a very important factor.

At this point in time the Saris Thelma will only be available in a 3 bike.

What about storing the bike rack when not on the vehicle?  Does it fold flat because those wheel clamps look like they might stick out quiet far when rack is against a wall or on the floor?

What about storing the bike rack when not on the vehicle?  Does it fold flat because those wheel clamps look like they might stick out quiet far when rack is against a wall or on the floor?

Great question, yes the front wheel holders will fold down flat and within the frame ensuring the bike rack can be kept out of the way when not in use. As each of the front wheel holders moves independently should you only have two bikes loaded you can raise the needed front wheel holders. 

I've added an image showing the folding in action. 

ccs-2-0-23345100-1430378145.jpg

Looks awesome, I have been searching for a rack that allows propper space between the bikes due to all mountain frames being wider than xc. My biggest concern though is there doesnt seem to be any way to lock the bikes to the rack. That means a garage stop etc on a long trip requires someone to stay with the car to make sure the bikes are not stolen.