Review: Saris Thelma 3 bike carrier

Matt

Looks awesome, I have been searching for a rack that allows propper space between the bikes due to all mountain frames being wider than xc. My biggest concern though is there doesnt seem to be any way to lock the bikes to the rack. That means a garage stop etc on a long trip requires someone to stay with the car to make sure the bikes are not stolen.

We would be happy to provide a Saris locking cable to solve this problem.

http://www.saris.com/product/locking-cable 

They around R450 in SA. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi does it fit onto a goose neck towbar?

Sorry for the late response, the Thelma 3 will work on any ISO 50mm towball, this is the standard towball in SA. So as long as the ball is the ISO 50mm ball the Saris rack will work perfectly well.

Usually ISO 50mm is printed on the top of the towball. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using a Thelma 3 for about 5 years now, never had a problem - touch wood.

It takes 3 road bikes or 3 29er's easily. Lost a strap a fews ago and quick email to the supplier a new set was supplied. Had someone reverse into it and bend the frame again one email and new frame was supplied.

It also looks good. Often when i get back to the parking lot I can see that guys have been looking at it as the wheel cups have been pulled up or moved into the 26er position. Makes me smile.

I have been using a Thelma 3 for about 5 years now, never had a problem - touch wood.

It takes 3 road bikes or 3 29er's easily. Lost a strap a fews ago and quick email to the supplier a new set was supplied. Had someone reverse into it and bend the frame again one email and new frame was supplied.

It also looks good. Often when i get back to the parking lot I can see that guys have been looking at it as the wheel cups have been pulled up or moved into the 26er position. Makes me smile.

Thank you NixM we appreciate the kind words !! 

I have been using the Saris Bones 2 now for a while and it is easy to use and works well whether at speed on the freeway or down a steep dirt road loaded with two 29er mtb bikes and it fits them both very well too. 

• 2 years later...

I think Bicycle Power (who replied earlier in this thread) are still the distributors. Not sure.

Interesting concept ....

Did not see this at any of the outlets when we were in the market for a platform carrier .....

wonder if they ever accommodated smaller (kids) bikes.

also seems like it did not offer a lockable facility ..... deal breaker in SA ....

We offer the 20 / 24" wheel adapters and a locking cable can be purchased, considering the saving of the bike rack the additional R600 for a locking cable really does not seem to break the bank. 

• 1 month later...

Used the Thelma 3 for a few months now and am super impressed! without a doubt one of the best racks out there and far better than the majority of Thule racks. + its cheaper!

Agreed. Had mine about a year now. All good

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

I have been using the Holdfast and  Thule hanging tow bar racks and the Holdfast seemed better than the Thule.  And then came the Saris.

By far the best rack I have ever used and it is now my go to rack no matter what the terrain.

Best rack I have used. (2years now)

Thanks for all the positive comments, hubbers. I know I'm biased, because we are the distributors, but my Thelma 3 was one of the first we brought into SA in about 2010 if I remember - and of course I was the guinea pig ! It's still going strong today ...l !