Cheers Jacques!

We certainly need to look at all the options and then, timing wise, plan it as carefully as possible.

I can see that if you get it wrong, it can cost you dearly.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonus, this has to be one of the more interesting related threads !

Going to be fun following you with this !!

We are currently in CPT visiting friends we may not see again for some time.

Today I was taken out near Stellies to rode MTB through some wine farms. Beautiful countryside and a very enjoyable morning.

A few more days here then we head for PE to see other friends before we go over to Spain to look for a property. Exciting times : -)

• 2 weeks later...

Bumpy Times . . . . my "Tip for the Day"

We did a 10 day, 4000km road trip - JNB-CPT-PE-JNB etc where we visited friends and places we might not get the chance to see again for a while. Had a fantastic time :thumbup:

On the last day of the trip, heading home and after about 9 hrs of driving, we got into a conversation that "went South" pretty quickly. Long story, but the result was a crisis where we no longer wanted to carry on with our plans . . .  or even talk to each other ever again for that matter :eek:

We resolved the issue after a day or two and several attempts. (both a bit stubborn) We had help from some very supportive friends, for which we are very grateful, and now we are back on track again.

Bottom line out of all of this though? When you get into something as daunting as this sort of a move with your loved one - focus on how much you love, care and respect your partner. It will (help to) keep your conversations calm and nice. You won't be so likely to behave in an abrasive manner if you care about how the other person feels. That was the advice we got, and it works.

Of course the other option is just to agree to everything she says . . . . .

B.

Leaving tonight for a trip to the UK, France and Spain. Looking for a property in the Pyrenees that we can turn into our dream.

Lots of stuff going on at the moment. We keep bumping into people who want to go to Spain either to live or to walk/ride the Camino de Santiago - which is where we want to be near to.

Its funny - the networking just grows and grows. People want to know how we get on, what the pitfalls are, what does it cost etc. In a way we are the guinea pigs :-)

B.

Leaving tonight for a trip to the UK, France and Spain. Looking for a property in the Pyrenees that we can turn into our dream.

Lots of stuff going on at the moment. We keep bumping into people who want to go to Spain either to live or to walk/ride the Camino de Santiago - which is where we want to be near to.

Its funny - the networking just grows and grows. People want to know how we get on, what the pitfalls are, what does it cost etc. In a way we are the guinea pigs :-)

B.

Bumping into people with the same mindset or similar plans is part of it. In all our adventures and travels, our networks of people grew very quickly. All it takes is to find those first 'connections' to get the ball rolling.

Many people who have spoken to us about what we've done in the past all think that we are very unique, but in actual fact, there are 100s or even 1000s of people who did the same. The only difference is that we started looking, reading and researching things.

Best of luck with your recce. I hope you find something suitable. As I type this, I'm having my own doubts as to whether coming back to SA was the right thing to do...I know how you guys feel.

Eish Bonus, wow, must have been a hectic going south conversation to want to change plans! BUT, pleased things worked out with you and Wendy and you guys are off soon. Wishing you the best of luck and the best of memories !

Bumpy Times . . . . my "Tip for the Day"

We did a 10 day, 4000km road trip - JNB-CPT-PE-JNB etc where we visited friends and places we might not get the chance to see again for a while. Had a fantastic time [emoji106]

On the last day of the trip, heading home and after about 9 hrs of driving, we got into a conversation that "went South" pretty quickly. Long story, but the result was a crisis where we no longer wanted to carry on with our plans . . . or even talk to each other ever again for that matter :eek:

We resolved the issue after a day or two and several attempts. (both a bit stubborn) We had help from some very supportive friends, for which we are very grateful, and now we are back on track again.

Bottom line out of all of this though? When you get into something as daunting as this sort of a move with your loved one - focus on how much you love, care and respect your partner. It will (help to) keep your conversations calm and nice. You won't be so likely to behave in an abrasive manner if you care about how the other person feels. That was the advice we got, and it works.

Of course the other option is just to agree to everything she says . . . . .

B.

And never go on a 4000km road trip... ever..

Hmm - my fantasy trip (for when some of the share options vest) is to go to Europe for 6 months - 2 in each of Italy, France and Spain over the period of the grand tours.

And Barcelona has always ben high on my list of "if i got offered a job " destinations. Thing is any time i got close the industry or economy crashed. And Spain and Portugal are properly broken, plus I am pretty old now.

So I was actually looking at a travel company that would do outbound cycle tours to the Santiago de Compostela as a business with a Spanish mate at one time. 

So your plans have a ring of some that i have sat and dreamed about.

I dont know you guys at all so it would be interesting to hear how old you are, what sort of work you do and what inspired you embark on this adventure?

It makes me want to start planning my big trip rather than the maximum 2 week breaks I get.

Bumping into people with the same mindset or similar plans is part of it. In all our adventures and travels, our networks of people grew very quickly. All it takes is to find those first 'connections' to get the ball rolling.

Many people who have spoken to us about what we've done in the past all think that we are very unique, but in actual fact, there are 100s or even 1000s of people who did the same. The only difference is that we started looking, reading and researching things.

Best of luck with your recce. I hope you find something suitable. As I type this, I'm having my own doubts as to whether coming back to SA was the right thing to do...I know how you guys feel.

Thanks J.

We're enjoying meeting people with a common interest and they seem to be telling their friends and so it goes. I think a part of the success comes from doing something you really enjoy yourself. Perhaps it makes you more friendly and open to other people who, ultimately, may end up being customers of one sort or the other.

And never go on a 4000km road trip... ever..

We're about to do the same thing again now from the UK, through France and to northern Spain and back. Hopefully I've learned something since the last trip ;-)

Hmm - my fantasy trip (for when some of the share options vest) is to go to Europe for 6 months - 2 in each of Italy, France and Spain over the period of the grand tours.

And Barcelona has always ben high on my list of "if i got offered a job " destinations. Thing is any time i got close the industry or economy crashed. And Spain and Portugal are properly broken, plus I am pretty old now.

So I was actually looking at a travel company that would do outbound cycle tours to the Santiago de Compostela as a business with a Spanish mate at one time. 

So your plans have a ring of some that i have sat and dreamed about.

I dont know you guys at all so it would be interesting to hear how old you are, what sort of work you do and what inspired you embark on this adventure?

It makes me want to start planning my big trip rather than the maximum 2 week breaks I get.

Thanks IQ - I'll PM you some of our details :-)

B.

Good hunting Bonus! I hope you guys find what you're looking for!