And may have to handle a few tears when some leave. I maintain that South Africa is the most beautiful country in the world but it seems that B&W has found the one place that rivals it for shear beauty!

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

Thank you Mntboy. My sentiments too

Yip seems to be hey lucky buggers the 2 of you Wendy great decision.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Gen. We certainly have but I miss SA too. Although after a while you become unsure where home is. One thing is for sure I love hearing a South African accent. Even a programme on TV. So when you all come I will definately cry when you leave.

Up until a fortnight ago I was still riding in beautiful sunshine wearing shorts & a short sleeve top (with a sleeveless vest underneath).

Then the weather turned and it rained for a few days, followed by me having a head-cold for a week while the sun came back! I recovered from the head-cold (I was at deaths door, naturally) but by then the rain had come back again. After a few days of rain the skies cleared and we could see that the first snows had secretly fallen up in the mountains!

The Peña Montañesa, which is 2295m high at its highest peak and overlooks Ainsa, has a smattering of snow covering its top couple of hundred meters while the Alto Pyrenees (the Big Guys north of here, closer to France) have had some serious snow.

Winter is coming - but as long as we can still see blue skies and some sun I think we can cope 1f642.png

post-4874-0-35575100-1480367950_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-11274100-1480367971_thumb.jpg

Great stuff B&W, nothing beats a white Christmas!

You will have to get yourselves some fat bikes to play in the snow ( a great excuse :whistling:  )

What is the fastest/cheapest/best way to fly to where you are?

We are actually currently looking into the best way for people from around the world to get to us . . . . 

We have friends on 5 of the 7 continents! Actually 6 out of 7 if you count my good friend Nairo, (he just doesn't know it yet). I don't hold out hope for #7 - Antarctica, though.

To start things off, here is a map of where we are relative to the nearest airports. Times and distances from our front door to the airport courtesy of my Garmin Sat Nav.

Pau and Toulouse are both on the other side of the Pyrenees in France. Both beautiful drives through the mountains. Barcelona, Zaragoza and Madrid are all mostly freeway. Pamplona is a nice A road.

We're looking into airlines with a decent allowance for bikes (also check the travel forum on here for the latest "bikes on planes" threads). There are bike hire shops here too. In the New Year I will check the new seasons prices / models of bikes available - so that people can weigh up between bringing their own bikes versus hiring a bike here.

post-4874-0-64334100-1481136238_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bonus

I checked on travelstart pamplona can be done ar about 9K return. However. . It is with air Ethiopia. And 48hrs travel time.

Barcelona is not to bad and that's with -can't remember think it was Qatar?

48 hrs is a long time! (obviously)

We did Jo'burg/Barcelona with Emirates with a few hours stop-over in Dubai. I think it was about 21hrs total but there are so many connections you can mix-and-match to suit. Emirates also service Madrid.

Iberia do Jo'burg/Madrid direct. Madrid is further by car afterwards but its not a bad road.

I'll keep you posted as we check options . . . .

We found KLM Air France into Paris and then connecting flight into Spain the easiest and most cost effective. We fly to Malaga. Make sure of connection in Paris, CDG or Oraly as you need to go through customs.

I spent a couple of days this week working in shorts and a T-shirt with Ramon the Farmer - Splitting and Stacking Firewood from trees he felled and cut up in his Woods at the beginning of the year. The wood had dried nicely during the summer and was fairly easy to split using axes (I bought my big one with me from SA) and a wood splitting Maul (which has a head that is half-axe and half-sledgehammer).

We tractor-trailered the wood back up the hill to below the Farmhouse and stacked it in the wood store. Great fun and very rewarding work. I'd recommend anyone who hasn't done it to try it! 1f642.png

A few more loads to do next week before the weather finally changes for winter . . . .

post-4874-0-31825100-1481405870_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-87339300-1481405882_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-12047700-1481405890_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-63197200-1481405895_thumb.jpg

I have a feeling that you might be a bit stiff tomorrow and not in the good way. .

I know - different muscles and all that. Great fun though :-)