Review: Garmin Edge 1000 GPS computer

Jarryd Haley

Garmin’s relatively new Edge 1000 model has flown somewhat under the radar thanks to much of the current attention on the brand focused on their new Vector power pedals. As far as top level navigation and information devices go, users are currently spoilt for choice. Coming in at a recommended retail price of R10 599, the Edge 1000 is pricey. The question is, is it worth it?

Click here to view the article

Cool review Jarryd - pretty much my experience with the Edge 1000 (except for the out front bracket - I think you're doing something wrong  :) ).

I've managed to get 12 hours out of the Edge 1000 - two back to back 6hr rides, getting home with 5% left.

It is a pricey gadget, but it's not just a GPS - it's a display unit for all other ANT+ devices, and as more and more of them enter the market, I think Garmin is trying to be the de facto head unit.

And I have to agree about the sweat - I've found myself navigating to Estonia before (seems quite simple - a left turn here, a short right there, several thousand kilometres later you'll reach your destination).

Since it launched I've had my eye on one of these and I must say if it wasn't for the R3100 saving I got from the above mentioned retail price, I would have probably not considered it. I find it very easy to use and fitted a screen guard and it has no effect on the touch screen responsiveness. What I like is the wireless upload function that connects to the internet and immediately upload your ride and also sync with the popular cycling tracking sites out there. Overall I think its a great product.

Love mine, awesome tool and is so easy to use. Also love the bigger screen and functionality of the touch screen. Uploading of training is a breeze. Out front mount could be a little "stiffer" though. The unit can easily be dislodged from the mount if you accidentally bump the GPS with your hand  - it tends to turn sideways and is then loose and can fall out. Has not happened though, just an precaution from my side.

Since it launched I've had my eye on one of these and I must say if it wasn't for the R3100 saving I got from the above mentioned retail price, I would have probably not considered it. I find it very easy to use and fitted a screen guard and it has no effect on the touch screen responsiveness. What I like is the wireless upload function that connects to the internet and immediately upload your ride and also sync with the popular cycling tracking sites out there. Overall I think its a great product.

Hi Riaan.

What screen guard did you fit and where can we get our hands on it

D

Hi Riaan.

What screen guard did you fit and where can we get our hands on it

Dischem sells iPhone 5 covers for R25.

Just cut to the right size.

Buy 2 because you are likely to mess the first one up.  ;)

Ok, let me be that guy..

Does it take tracks? And if so do you have to use that terrible abomination called Basecamp?

Or, to confirm my suspicions, did Garmin peak with the 705 ito a adventure biking GPS?