Review: RockShox Revelation RCT3

Iwan Kemp

Having run one for over a year (the 2014 model), I concur with what's been said.

It's a very good all-round performer and has only two negative aspects:

- Solo Air has a slight top-out clunk compared to a Dual Air setup. Practically it's not a biggie, but if it's set up firm (see next point) it tends to be noticeable in climbing situations when there's very little weight on the front wheel and you're riding it at the very top of the travel.

- It could do with more progression adjustment at the end of the stroke, like the Pike. When hitting really big stuff, it tends to bottom pretty quickly so needs to run fairly high pressure to counter this. Mine is set up in Open mode with full LSC to prevent diving, which reduces small bump sensitivity, especially at the firmness I need to run it to prevent smashing all the way through the travel on big jumps and drops. 

Besides for the above, it's a stellar performer!

I concur.

Briefly ridden one and it was super good.

Unless you jumping the bigger stuff or are particularly heavy it is a great trail fork. A lot of people overlook it and go for the super cool 'Pike' when in reality it is overkill. My 2c, could be wrong.

Edited by Brawler

Martin, if your Pike is bottoming on big hits, you need to add another volume token.

I don't really understand why anyone would choose this fork over the excellent Pike? The weight difference is tiny. Is it just cost? Once you've ridden a Pike through a rock-garden or very rooty section of trail, you'll never want to ride a 32mm fork again. The difference is huge.

Lekker forks indeed!

I am using the dual position on my "retired" Shova.

Never really use the low setting, but got the DP at a steal so went for it above the solo air.

Martin, if your Pike is bottoming on big hits, you need to add another volume token.

I don't really understand why anyone would choose this fork over the excellent Pike? The weight difference is tiny. Is it just cost? Once you've ridden a Pike through a rock-garden or very rooty section of trail, you'll never want to ride a 32mm fork again. The difference is huge.

i didn't find the difference huge, at all. But I have this feeling it all comes down to the year model of the Revelation. I came off a 2013 Rev, and it was utterly brilliant. Same small issue that Martin Hattingh experienced in terms of having to up the air pressure to mitigate fork dive. But zero fork flex, took the big hits without problem: its a monster posing as a light trail fork.

Now that it has rapid recovery, i think it will be an even better fork, as that was the one thing i could definitely feel switching to pike.

But having to increase air pressure in the Rev is more a problem with RS' very light sprinkling of compression damping. If I hadn't sold my Rev, I would have modified the compression damping, same way I fixed my Boxxer with its crap lightweight compression damping. was bliss having proper mid-stroke support without having the nasty loss of small bump compliance that comes with increased air pressure.

But yoikes, that price of the new Rev!

Edited by Capricorn

Niterider, with bottoming I'm referring to the Revelation, not the Pike. The big brother feels like it has much better compression damping in that sense, and of course the token adjustment which you've pointed out.

Capricorn, I reckon you're right about the two being fairly close, but with the Pike:

• Damn, that stiffness through super gnarly stuff! (as Niterider has said)
  • The small bump sensitivity is better by just enough of a margin that it gives you that "this is real deal!" feeling.

I've got an old (2010) fox 32 Talas. Pisses me off how noodley it is on the downs. Climbs fine for my skill or lack thereof. Is this revelation gonna be as bendy than my fox despite similar width stanchions? Is it simply a much better damper package, or is it much stiffer too?

At 150mm the Revelation is noticeably stiffer than the 32 Fox. 32 Fox starts getting noodly at 130mm on a 27.5" or 26" bike and from about 120mm on a 29".

Obviously depends how hard you ride and the terrain you're riding.

I've got an old (2010) fox 32 Talas. Pisses me off how noodley it is on the downs. Climbs fine for my skill or lack thereof. Is this revelation gonna be as bendy than my fox despite similar width stanchions? Is it simply a much better damper package, or is it much stiffer too?

I had a 650b Revelation 130mm on my trail bike for 6months then it sprung a leak in the damper and I swapped it out for a 2014 Fox 32 120/140mm Talas while the Rev was in for warranty.

The talas is great in that at 120 it is perfect for climbing and basic trails and at 140 it gives a nice slack HA and a bit of extra plushness coming down but the Revelation is far stiffer. I noticed it right away on Helderberg trails and miss the accurate tracking of the Rev everytime I hit a rock garden or something really bumpy.

The only differences I can see between the two is the crown (the Rev is much more beefy) and the powerbulge on the lowers of the Rev. The fact is though that something RS is doing is really working well and its not adding much weight either.

Niterider, with bottoming I'm referring to the Revelation, not the Pike. The big brother feels like it has much better compression damping in that sense, and of course the token adjustment which you've pointed out.

Capricorn, I reckon you're right about the two being fairly close, but with the Pike:

• Damn, that stiffness through super gnarly stuff! (as Niterider has said)
  • The small bump sensitivity is better by just enough of a margin that it gives you that "this is real deal!" feeling.

full concur with the latter point: it's really really good. In fact, its so good, it can be annoying because it compresses that easily in the first few mm of stroke, it feels like the headset is messed. Then you push and pull on the bike to try and find this 'loose' thing, given alles the evil eye, only to realise the fork is compressing a few millimeters very very easily. excellent small bump compliance.

I have a dual position 160 mm Pike 26" fork. The stiffness is mind blowing compared to a fox 32. My brakes suddenly felt much stronger and the bike tracks and steers much better than a thinner fork.

I don't have the tokens option but have found the fork copes pretty well with drops and steep stuff. Without access to Tokai I havent tested it properly tho.

I  did bottom it out once quite hard on a fast high drop I landed to flat and that made me think I either need to up the low speed comp or find a way to make the airspring more progressive?

Any suggestions?