Vitus 979 - Seemingly Original - Campag Brev- Value?

Tieffels

Ransom story, my dad asks my to look at the gardeners bike (An upstanding guy by all past experiences, and being Malawian he was a bike, until he ships it home, then gets another..) because it's got a flat and he cannot figure out but it looks "funny" and tubeless. I make inquiries and realize it's a tubby, but by my dad's reckoning it's a very old and dated bike.

Long story short, it turn out to be a Vitus - 979 maybe, with near full Campag Brev components. Record frons hub, Shimano 600 rear. Ambrosio rear rim. Campag seatpost, might still be the original seat..

Bike is in pretty good nic, needs a clean, but the chainrings and even the original campag brake pads seems good. Wheels have a number of broken spokes, but that's the worst of it.

My phone is buggered, so no pics, but this is more or less it:

post-3333-0-92713800-1430926836_thumb.jpg

Is it worth anything? 

It is certainly worth something, unfortunatly its not entirely original.

Mix of Campag and Shimano parts, the crank looks like 600 and the RD looks to be 105(Hard to be 100% sure from image). Nice Simplex retro friction shifters.

What are your thoughts and what do you want to do with the bike?

Thanks Quintonb,

Sorry, I should have been more clear, that pic from my post is the closest I could find online and is not the actual bike.

The only Shimano component on his bike is the rear Hub, 600. The rest is all Campag, and it looks SERIOUSLY old. The pedals are completely ruined though, only the axle is left of what appears to have been toe clips type pedals. 

My thoughts are to try and arrange a win-win situation: Get our gardener another bike and some cash in his back pocket by finding an owner who will do justice to the bike.  

Geez, here is the exact frame for $499

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-VITUS-979-55-CM-RED-ANODIZED-BIKE-FRAME-SET-/271595193808?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3c55c5d0

Wonder what the local interest will be.