Life span of a Bib

JLK

Hi guys,

So, the week before 2014 94.7 I decided I need a new Bib. I shopped around for quite sometime looking for best value for money. I decided on First Ascent -Pro Elite Bib- which was very comfortable and well padded. To date the bib has done about 16 rides on my road bike and about 2 on my MTB. I haven't fallen once and always took great care in washing. Last weekend after our club ride I realised that the stitching on the one inside leg has become properly undone and it started on the other side too. Is it normal for an "ELITE" bib to last so short? I only started cycling a year ago and received a cheap bib with the CL club when I joined. This bib has done about 3000kms and many MTB falls and is still in great condition.

Now here is the bummer. I took it back to Cycle Lab where I bought it from and unfortunately i made the mistake of throwing the slip away, so now they cant help me with a replacement (which is fair enough) but they recon that First Ascent wont replace it without the proof of purchase either.

Guess im learning the hard way.

Wikus

Not sure what the life span is but if the rest of the bib is still in good nick, I think it's worth contacting first ascent directly if CL aren't willing to do it for you.

About 2yrs ago received a pair of gloves as a gift so no receipt, the seam on the cuff (non stress point) kept coming loose. I contacted them and told sportsman warehouse (where it was purchased from) - both facilitated getting it checked and they then repair it (no replacement) - they were excellent in giving me feedback throughout the process.

*** one wikus, school fees, there are "cheap"/well priced bibs/shorts that actually last well unfortunately what I learnt from bibs you need to spend a bit of money if you want life out of them I find that the best way I get life is rotation of bibs so I wait a bit longer and get 3 pairs and rotate, suppose it all balances out in the end maybe it's a mind fart but I think when I buy one, one, one I dont get the usage out of them, if you dig around here you will find a thread on bibs there are guys who said they didn't get any better buying assos and guys who swear by them, I won't start mentioning brands but there are many well priced not so expensive ones out there

I also bought a First Ascent bib from Cycle Lab. The chamois was restitched/patched in 3 places. This caused me endless issues as this patched up area caused chaffing and blisters. I never even bothered going back. Neither company will be getting money from me again. I don't know which one was at fault, and I'm not prepared take a risk again. Rather spend an extra few hundred bucks and get something decent. Of which, unfortunately, First Ascent bib shorts are not.

You see this is where your bike shop makes a huge difference in the handling of issues.

I fell on a dirt road and tore the sleeve of my FA magneto jacket - my LBS send it to FA for me and it came back with a new set of sleeves (they detach) at no charge.

Also tore my sun sleeve in a similar way and the lbs sent them in for me and they came back fixed beautifully - also no charge.

My pro elite bibs (have 2) are now about 3 or 4 years old - they were the first bibs I bought and are still in perfectly useable condition - noticed a small spot on the Lycra that of 1 that I can see is looking a little worn but that's it.

Actually very sad that last time I asked they had stopped making the ladies Elite bibs :(

I had same experience with a pair.

First Ascent and SWH had them repaired, no problem.

If you have big legs they might be chafing on the edge of your seat post, especially if you have a set-back post. I had the same with Spez bib, chamois still good but the outer wore very quickly. Decided to try my luck and took it back to Concept Cyclery, they took one look and immediately searched the shelves for a replacement. They didn't have my size but within a few days they phoned to tell me to pick up my new pair.

Cycle lab must be very big customers of First Ascent. Till slip and all other guarantee jargon aside . If they wanted to sort it out and believed you told the truth , they could have.

I have ridden in various brands of bibs over the last 4 years..including the more pricey ones(fancy name brands),and the ones that have stood out as the BEST for me have been the VELOTEX GEL padded bibs.Have recently just had a panel replaced due to a fall(at no cost to me either).But from a comfort perspective these have been the best by far.Pity the local bike shops don't stock enough of these.

Contact FA and ask them to have a look at it.

I once had a FA bib whose padding detached from the lycra but the stiching was still in place. So the sponge and was just a ball in one corner. I sent it back to them, no slip or anything, and they sent a replacement.

They did say that using Vanish to wash the shorts in at 60deg water could have been the cause.

Definitely drop FA an email, they are pretty good at fixing the situation one way or another.

That is why I stopped using First Ascent. They do not last.

I also think First Ascent is not the best quality.

You don't buy First Ascent bibbs, they make jackets. Then again, you also don't buy Assos because those will have a even shorter life span, well, I'm talking about the one's I tried about 5 years ago, once bitten twice shy, so I stay away from those. The Santini one's I bought from CWC have lasted about 2 yrs and are on there last stretch, I think I got pretty good value of of them, I do really long miles so can't expect more.