Dome 2 Dome and Race for Victory 2015

Prince

For the non racing snakes like myself i would like point out that in the Carnival Mac Steel race as well as the D2D i started in DL. CCMC there was a bike marshal all the way protecting the groups along the route and well like everyone knows in the D2D nothing.

Safety wise this is the worst event i have partaken in and that for an organisation that has held 9 events prior (Although at a different venue) should know what the requirements are!!

I won't be back till feedback has changed from people whom have done the event (Min 2 years time), which is a pitty as i really enjoyed the challenge of the route. The distance and climb at the end just made the race for me. The wind i can get at any race down here in the south of JHB (RFV, Fast one, Midvaal Classic) so i would be happy without it for a change :whistling:

While i thank the volunteers whom worked the drinks tables i would have thought the race organisation would have informed them to hold out a couple of water sachets as the absence of this forced some of us to stop completely at the table and ride solo from there on. Not that it mattered much as i was one of the weakest riders today and knew that going into the event.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was easier than last year (most of the hill was done at the start).

Lots of moronic dick heads in BMW's without licence plates making life dangerous.

I learned from the Wilro 2 weeks ago and made sure I was in bunch when we turned with the wind in our backs at 60km. What a thrill for 28min to race along at 46km/h! It made it worth it to face the crosswind alone after the left turn on the N14 (as I refuse to ride in a echelon on that road- my life is worth more than a few minutes). I was hoping for 3:15 and came in a lot better than that. Happy.

One Porsche had a plate called "Screwit" - if I ever see it in a parking lot........

I drove up to JHB from DBN to do this race as a tune-up for the Shova.

I was genuinely fearful for my life a number of times. To be honest, must be a tough situation for an organiser to police a 100km stretch of road that doesn't have full road closure, esp. when the wind is causing havoc. I personally can't offer a solution to that except for securing full road closure, which I'm sure is very difficult to do.

I now have new appreciation for the quality of road surface here at home. And I'll never again whine about KZN drivers. Those Gauteng drivers were scary. You folks have my respect for being out on those roads on a daily basis.

Have not done this race in years and opted to do D2D this year as I missed doing the Race for Victory as i was away but never again... unless this race changes:

R350 is pretty steep for what you actually get and still they wanted R10 for parking (which no one did eventually ask for when we left - but we had no intentions of paying this)

Parking is horrible - cars and bikes were all dirty from the red dust even before we started racing

Toilets were in the most disgusting state - saw a few cyclist retching from the smell and the conditions 

Not enough water tables or water sachets available for such a hot day along the route

Getting to the finish line and making us go through the red dusty sand roads to get to the medals and coke table (no water!)

It was a challenging route but really quite dangerous as you have all the high performance cars and bikers all out having their weekend runs.

A few of our friends in the chasing VC group were taken on the wrong route by the Commissaire so ended up doing 127kms instead of 110 - this messed up the riders groups placings and time.

Would not recommend the race to inexperienced riders, the downhills can be a bit dangerous if one is not confident, especially going down Hekpoort with the speedbumps at high speeds.

It was a challenging route with enough climbs and wind to keep one entertained but definitely this is one race I will let pass in future if they continue with the current formula.

If D2D isn't full road closure (and I doubt whether it is, as it hasn't been in the past) that road between the caves and Maropeng is a bit of a concern. The breakfast run bikers fly along that stretch and also blind rises make for a bit of a hair raising section of the route.

Hope that is properly marshalled...

That nasty section alone might put me off this race.

Hate to be "that" oke that says I told you so, but...

My prediction was more or less correct.

This was on my "to do" list and I nearly entered, but had then family stuff came up and I decided to give this a skip. I was a bit peeved with the family, but after reading these comments I'm quite glad things turned out like this.

I've already booked for Satellite Classic which I didn't do previously due to the same reasons as above, but heard very good reports about last years race. This is an ASG event which is a bit of a concern, since someone mentioned earlier that D2D is an ASG event as well?

Sorry just had a look; D2D was organised by Fusion Sports.

Edited by HBO

After this being the worst organised race I did last year (not even taking into account that R300+ is a ripoff), I refused to race this year on principle.

When will the bubble burst?

Try R450 for late entry to the Shova. Last year Shova ran out of water at 2 of the 4 water tables. (hot and windy day). Karoo-to-coast has 9 water tables (just saying).

Technical finish with a traffic circle 100m before the finish. Nargghhh. Promised to give it a miss this year. Rather fork out R7k for expenses for the wife and I to do the Stellenbosch event in November. Also a lekke weekend away to visit the in-laws. Been a lot of complaints about races lately. Carnival, this one, most ASG events, when will the bubble burst? 

On a different note. Does anyone know anything about the AL rider that went down on some wet tar in that left hand corner out of Robert Broom drive?

I'd like to find out what tyres he was running so that I can avoid them!  :P

We weren't even cornering that hard when it looked like he hit an ice patch. I hope he didn't have to much damage to body or bike.

On a different note. Does anyone know anything about the AL rider that went down on some wet tar in that left hand corner out of Robert Broom drive?

I'd like to find out what tyres he was running so that I can avoid them! :P

We weren't even cornering that hard when it looked like he hit an ice patch. I hope he didn't have to much damage to body or bike.

When will the bubble burst?

Try R450 for late entry to the Shova. Last year Shova ran out of water at 2 of the 4 water tables. (hot and windy day). Karoo-to-coast has 9 water tables (just saying).

Technical finish with a traffic circle 100m before the finish. Nargghhh. Promised to give it a miss this year. Rather fork out R7k for expenses for the wife and I to do the Stellenbosch event in November. Also a lekke weekend away to visit the in-laws. Been a lot of complaints about races lately. Carnival, this one, most ASG events, when will the bubble burst? 

What was wrong with the Carnival City MacSteel Classic? I enjoyed it and it was 100 times safer than D2D!!

Max, that was me!!! Turning the corner on the outside of the bunch and I hit a patch of an oil spill on the road. Felt like I did some ice skating. Fell pretty hard on my knee and shoulder. Should recover soon. Kaked out the officer and marshal for not doing something about that spill. Otherwise yea the race has lost a lot of its stature and I wouldn't be back anytime soon.....