Need help with bike rack!

t_hond

Hello Hubbers,

I need some help please. I bought a second-hand Thule ClipOn 9104 a couple days ago to attach to the back of my Toyota Auris (2010 or 2011 model I think). Although it says on the Thule website that the bike rack should be compatible with my car, I’ve been having trouble with getting it to fit properly. 

Basically, the rear spoiler (stock part) is being pulled down a centimetre or two by the 2 metal hooks at the top when I lower the handles to tighten the rack. I’m worried that the carrier will damage the spoiler or even snap it off completely. I’ve tried bending the hooks as much as possible but that hasn’t helped.

Has anyone else had problems with this? If so, has it damaged your car or have you done anything to fix it? I would even consider taking the rear spoiler off as a last resort (if that’s even possible!).

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading.

These are the hooks I'm referring to:

post-63710-0-32729300-1431530137_thumb.jpg

The black hooks at the bottom - turn them like screws until they are log enough to fit the car properly. Sounds like it's not adjusted correctly!

Thanks! I originally set the length according to thule recommendations but made it a lot looser now and its definitely helped. The spoiler is still being pulled down a bit but maybe that is meant to happen? It seems to be quite flexible...

Those metal strap parts also have adjustment holes (you can see them in your pic) different cars need them in different places. Where are yours sitting?

Mine are sitting in the third position (furthest left in the picture) as recommended by Thule. I've tried switching them to the middle position but didn't seem to help. Didn't work at all in the 1st hole (as in the pic).

Makes sense that putting them in the middle hole will put less pressure on the spoiler?

I dont think Thule mentioned that anywhere though?

same story when fitted on wife's mini. I bent the black metal top straps ,then put some clear protective tape on,better but by no means perfect.

same story when fitted on wife's mini. I bent the black metal top straps ,then put some clear protective tape on,better but by no means perfect.

Aka pikey has the spoiler been damaged at all? How long have you been using it for?

word of advice... Get yourself some rubber/hard foam strips and place them on the metal straps where it touches the spoiler... mine seem to fit fine when i had an Auris but it did take a bit of paint off the spoiler ever so slightly from repeated use... eventually fitted strips to the straps...

Aka pikey has the spoiler been damaged at all? How long have you been using it for?

it did until I modified the straps. Also put some protective clear tape on the car & spoiler it's self and position the rack in same place every time.

It will mark the paint if you don't protect it. Annoying I know, Thule should have something on there sire about roof spoilers .

word of advice... Get yourself some rubber/hard foam strips and place them on the metal straps where it touches the spoiler... mine seem to fit fine when i had an Auris but it did take a bit of paint off the spoiler ever so slightly from repeated use... eventually fitted strips to the straps...

Thanks for the advice Buzzman, I'll do that. Should have some old tube lying around.. apart from the paint damage were there any other problems? It will be easy to prevent the paint chipping but I'm worried that the rack will damage the shape of the spoiler or even rip it off completely..

Remove your spoiler. 

Definitely considering it.. have you done it? I have no idea how to but it sounds like a mission..

Thule actually do state that these carriers are not for cars wth spoilers. I have one and that is one of the first things that the sales lady mentioned when I bought it.

Thule actually do state that these carriers are not for cars wth spoilers. I have one and that is one of the first things that the sales lady mentioned when I bought it.

The downside of buying 2nd hand. It's no biggie though now. And the shape of the spoiler is not an issue since I reshaped the straps.