2016 Merida Scultura: World's lightest production bike?

News bot

Better is the enemy of good: This was the motto that MERIDA’s head of R&D Jürgen Falke and his team were following when developing the fourth generation of the SCULTURA road bike platform. Being the lightest frame in MERIDA’s line-up, this frame has always been built to conquer long, steep climbs. But as extensive wind tunnel testing by German magazine Tour showed, the SCULTURA was not a top contender in terms of aerodynamics. Thus there was a clear objective for the new frame: It had to be yet a bit lighter, but more importantly it had to become more aerodynamic. Another goal was to increase the vertical compliance of the rear triangle.

Click here to view the article

So now I have to wait until the end of the year.  Was about to trade my 2013 Scultura EVO DA in for a 2015 Reacto.

Sub 5 kilo's for a complete road bike; 1 kilo for frame + fork: I'm Speechless! Well done Merida, although I see a lot of resemblance with the Tarmac SL5.

This is hilarious. As someone who rides a steel frame mountain bike that hovers around 12.5 kilos I can only laugh when I read about a bike that weighs 4.5 kgs. Frankly I'm not sure I'd have the guts to ride such a machine at 30ks an hour never mind 80 to 100. Road bikers are clearly much crazier than mountain bikers. Good luck to them.

Does this weight fall within UCI regulations?

As long as the complete bike weighs 6.8kg or above it is legal.

The Trek Emonda 54cm frame weighs 680 grams and complete bike is 4.6kg.

It costs 13000 euros with all the AX-Lightness bits.

Will be interesting to see how the same size Merida compares in weight and cost to the Trek.