How do you know your Frame is cracked???

FanieFiets

So my frame has a little crack on the paint. A mechanic told me I must have it checked out as it can be the carbon that is cracked. I asked a around and no one seems to be able to tell me with certainty that its the one or the the other. The bike is insured, but I do not want to submit a claim if it isn't a claim and also to not want to skip the claim process if it is a valid claim. All input will be appreciated. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

xray it. the only other option is to sand the paint back till you get the clear coat on the carbon and then you will see the crack if there is one.

Don't carbon frames have a lifetime warranty if you are the original purchaser?

Hardly any do nowadays.

So my frame has a little crack on the paint. A mechanic told me I must have it checked out as it can be the carbon that is cracked. I asked a around and no one seems to be able to tell me with certainty that its the one or the the other. The bike is insured, but I do not want to submit a claim if it isn't a claim and also to not want to skip the claim process if it is a valid claim. All input will be appreciated. 

Hi

In my view, there is no reason for the paint to just crack... unless the carbon underneath it has cracked too. Paint is generally more flexible than carbon and therefore has more give.

I had a suspicious "paint" crack around my seat post. On removing the seat post to look inside... surprise surplice the carbon was cracked. 

As the bike was brand new, the supplier swopped it out, no questions asked.

Not sure how old your bike is, but it is probably still under warranty, so take it back to your LBS.

Hope that helps?

On a related note, what do you guys do when you hear a cracking sound while on the trail? For me, having just recently bought a used carbon frame bike, it makes me somewhat nervous; but I always just chalk it up to my wheels kicking up a stone.

Take a coin and tap the carbon in the supposed cracked area, if there is a dull sound on the spot then ten to one it is cracked.

Frames have places that are generally more exposed to stress fractures , It doesn't mean that if the paint is cracked the frame itself is cracked , Carbon is 'flexible' it twists and turns, the paint might not be as flexible. I've had a hairline crack on both my rear stays (hardtail) near the wheel hub side for about 2 years now.

I'm also insured and trust me I haven't backed off from drop offs and jumps, In fact I rode harder trying to get it to fail and it's still going strong.   

I wouldn't worry about it.