Review: Shimano XT Trail Pedal

Iwan Kemp

I have the bottom of the heap SPD's,the M505,the cheapest and heaviest of the bunch,but they are bullet proof.They tend to get a bit clogged up in muddy conditions,but other than that they have performed flawlesly over the 14months I have been using them.

Yep , the Shimano range SPDs do the job and do it well - they last.

We all have and oooold set that still works and in the garage/wprkshop somewhere;)

Nice review, Iwan. 

Have the PD-M520's and they are bomb-proof. Just won't die, no matter the abuse I put them through. 

Nice review, Iwan. 

Have the PD-M520's and they are bomb-proof. Just won't die, no matter the abuse I put them through. 

:thumbup:

I love my XT trail pedals.

Have 3 sets of these & I can't fault them at all.

I use the Shimano Sh-56 multi release cleat & it works amazingly well

I have the basic versions and they are just flipping lekker with the platform. Also been using the basic 520's for many years and thousands of km's and these are still spinning away very happily......Shimano SPD's are just flipping rock solid and extremely reliable!

The axle on one of my new XT Trails popped off last weekend. Hoping it's just a case of not being tightened properly at the factory. Otherwise splendid pedals.

I have 5 pairs on 5 bikes .Road , mtb ,SS .No problems ever .I keep a cleat screw in my shoe as a spare .Take a stud out and replace with a screw

I bent a set of the pdm-530's I require a new shaft for them. Anyone know if this is possible?

I don't know how anybody can bend a spd pedal  .I weigh a 100 kg and have xt ,s on a SS .If I can't bend them I don't think anybody can .Maybe the lower range are made out of softer steel ???

I started out on 520's but wanted something with a bigger contact area between the shoe and the pedal. Tried a different brand for a while till I got myself the XT trails. Won't be changing pedals soon again. Great pedals.

I don't know how anybody can bend a spd pedal  .I weigh a 100 kg and have xt ,s on a SS .If I can't bend them I don't think anybody can .Maybe the lower range are made out of softer steel ???

I asked the same question, but the one pedal is definitely bent, I've ridden the bike.

Been riding SS for about 8 years or so... bent somewhere in that time and have just continued to ride them. Just bought XT's and would like to replace the shaft on the busted set so I can use them on my other bike...

I can bend them... Bent 505's before as well.. EB sl's, 520's... etc... etc..

I bent a set of the pdm-530's I require a new shaft for them. Anyone know if this is possible?

I'm pretty sure you can get replacement axles for the pedals, or buy a secondhand pair of 520's here and put that axle in. Not sure but I think there is a special tool required to remove the axle from the body.

I did watch a video of a 520 rebuild a while ago that can show you the how to do everything.