Review: Shimano XT Trail Pedal

Iwan Kemp

I'm still running these classics. I was looking to upgrade but these work great for trail and just refuse to die. Great if you put a foot down and benefit is you can cruise to the shops in flip flops without a worry! 

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb4331133/p4pb4331133.jpg

Got the XT Trails about a year ago after riding the standard XT for many years. I don't think the XT Trails are that much better overall, I'll be just as happy with my old standard XTs. I don't find the wider platform a huge advantage as I manage to clip in easily with any of them anyway. Come to think of it, the very basic 520s and 540s worked practically the same way and also lasted forever. 

XT is good. 

But  I also had standard XT, went  to XT trail en the second bike. (XT trail pedals for Trail bike was the reasoning.) 

Did not perceive any advantage of the  XT Trail over the standard XT. 

Got standard XT again for the 3rd bike. 

XT is good. 

But  I also had standard XT, went  to XT trail en the second bike. (XT trail pedals for Trail bike was the reasoning.) 

Did not perceive any advantage of the  XT Trail over the standard XT. 

Got standard XT again for the 3rd bike. 

Exactly what I'll do next.

I'm considering getting XT Trail pedals for my Single Speed,I'm using flats to comute at the moment,but would like to start riding on trails with the SS and would prefer being clipped in.

DJR and IH8MUD, you won't see much of an advantage riding large-carge pedals with "conventional" stiff-soled cycling shoes. The soles just aren't meant to grip on anything flat, too many contours and holes. It's when you're using flat-soled even patterned shoes like fivetens, 2FOs or Shimano AMs that the benefits of support when not clipped in become evident.

DJR and IH8MUD, you won't see much of an advantage riding large-carge pedals with "conventional" stiff-soled cycling shoes. The soles just aren't meant to grip on anything flat, too many contours and holes. It's when you're using flat-soled even patterned shoes like fivetens, 2FOs or Shimano AMs that the benefits of support when not clipped in become evident.

Makes sense yes.