Help with choosing a HR monitor

Afternoon gents and ladies

I'm looking at getting my first HR monitor. I do MTB riding and currently trying to lose weight after being off the bike for two years. Just something basic as I want to maximize my morning rides but............I love simplicity and though of rather getting something that I can use as a cycling computer as well. I don't like the idea of having to carry around countless electronic gadgets as the simplicity of cycling is the main appeal to me.

Is there something that does the above you guys can recommend me that is well built yet won't break the bank. Lets say max budget of about R2000. It can be either wrist or handlebar fitted.

Also hope this is the right section to post this.

Edited by Toi

For around  R2000 you could pick up a Garmin 200 handle bar mount which would be my choice but it does not have HR.

Tom Tom also have a range of watch types maybe look at that. 

Afternoon gents and ladies

I'm looking at getting my first HR monitor. I do MTB riding and currently trying to lose weight after being off the bike for two years. Just something basic as I want to maximize my morning rides but............I love simplicity and though of rather getting something that I can use as a cycling computer as well. I don't like the idea of having to carry around countless electronic gadgets as the simplicity of cycling is the main appeal to me.

Is there something that does the above you guys can recommend me that is well built yet won't break the bank. Lets say max budget of about R2000. It can be either wrist or handlebar fitted.

Also hope this is the right section to post this.

I use the polar h7(http://www.polar.com/za/products/accessories/H7_heart_rate_sensor) with the v650 , i bought the heart rate monitor for about R900, it works with my android device and ios devices and is compatible with strava, runtastic, endomondo . It works fairly well and with bluetooth but if you planning on getting a compatible watch or cycle computer lateron you will be restricted to polar models that support the bluetooth hrm, so i took the polar v650 cyclecomputer which costed me R 2900

I would suggest you get a Garmin or something else that uses standard protocols.

ANT+ and Bluebooth compatibility is what should be important.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Unfortunately the Edge 200 has no HR feature and the V650 and Edge 500 are out of my price range.

I have a wireless cycle computer that I'm more than happy with as it tells me all the info I care about.

Otherwise I might as well just keep it and get a cheap HR watch like the Polar FT2 @R900.

Anything I need to look out for when buying a cheap entry level HR monitor bearing in mind I'm no pro.

Edited by Toi

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Unfortunately the Edge 200 has no HR feature and the V650 and Edge 500 are out of my price range.

I have a wireless cycle computer that I'm more than happy with as it tells me all the info I care about.

Otherwise I might as well just keep it and get a cheap HR watch like the Polar FT2 @R900.

Anything I need to look out for when buying a cheap entry level HR monitor bearing in mind I'm no pro.

Nope. Those polars are pretty bomb-proof, and well supported. 

I'm in a similar position and the garmin fr70 appeals to me as I do a bite of running as well MTB comes with hr monitor and foot pod for about 1600 and acccesories speed sensor can be added on later

I'm in a similar position and the garmin fr70 appeals to me as I do a bite of running as well MTB comes with hr monitor and foot pod for about 1600 and acccesories speed sensor can be added on later

Ah yeah I see. Buycycle has them for just under 2K. Damn that would be perfect.

Personally the only time I run is when I run for my life.  :whistling:

Ah yeah I see. Buycycle has them for just under 2K. Damn that would be perfect.

Personally the only time I run is when I run for my life.  :whistling:

Just make sure BuyCycle actually have in stock..........!? 

While the Garmin FR70 does look like a fantastic combo I just could not justify spending a grand more for something that I already have. IMO those funds can rather go for something essential like a tubeless conversion etc.

So I got the Polar FT2 for 800 bucks. It does very little but its all the info I require.

I think if you're on a budget then get a sick simple hr watch and a separate cycle computer is something you already have. In this case 2 dedicated devices are cheaper than one jack of all trades. Plus cycle computer stays on the bike zero hassle there

Polar M400, watch incl HR monitor and strap... slightly above your price range at R2999 but well worth it cos of the GPS.

Between that and Endomondo it's effortless to track your progress.

I think if you're on a budget then get a sick simple hr watch and a separate cycle computer is something you already have. In this case 2 dedicated devices are cheaper than one jack of all trades. Plus cycle computer stays on the bike zero hassle there