It's been a dream of mine to cycle across South Africa specifically trough the Karoo for some time now  and with routes like the Freedom Trail and Dragon's Spine it has been looking more and more like a reality. However after four months of unreplied emails and no more trail info on the website I have given  up the the Freedom Trail leaving me with a month before holiday, a copy of "Riding the Dragon's Spine", a outdated website and inactive Facebook page.

Has anyone out there ridden from Cape Town through the Karoo? How up to date is the info on the Dragon trail? Are there other routes that can be accessed by the public? Do you need special permission? Who from?

We are leaving on the 1st of July, route or no route and will figure it out as we go along if we have to. I'd just prefer not to.

post-57034-0-23294700-1432195942_thumb.jpg

Feel exactly the same way.  Starting August on some sections.  There is another topic on this on the Hub but little response so here is a free bump.

Guess I will have to wait for the book to arrive.

How many of you are going together?

Camping?

Would like to hear your logistical plans?

Edited by Sepia

Thanks for the bump!

As of now there are no plans at all. Two of us, tourist accommodation, nature reserve cottages, small tent for emergencies. We were going the "Touring the Trail" option with the Freedom Challenge which would have provided accommodation and logistics but that ran cold once they changed their website. They say they are to busy to do it any more.

Got a copy of Riding the Dragon's spine and downloaded all the GPS tracks but it does call for a lot of questionable fence jumping so I just want to get as much clarity on the route as possible before adding fuel to the trespassing debate.  

Interesting!  Same approach as what I have.  Not planning to to do the credit card route.  Guess will have to be very flexible and expect the unexpected.

Did some of the FC and was not allowed onto private land (understandable)  Permission was available but the stop offs did not not suit my plans nor my budget!  I found touring the FC not cheap hence me deciding on attempting the Spine.

Thanks for the bump!

As of now there are no plans at all. Two of us, tourist accommodation, nature reserve cottages, small tent for emergencies. We were going the "Touring the Trail" option with the Freedom Challenge which would have provided accommodation and logistics but that ran cold once they changed their website. They say they are to busy to do it any more.

Got a copy of Riding the Dragon's spine and downloaded all the GPS tracks but it does call for a lot of questionable fence jumping so I just want to get as much clarity on the route as possible before adding fuel to the trespassing debate.  

I didn't realise this was the case - pity that it hasn't taken off as a standalone trail but the races seem more popular.

there's lots of us fundis who have done the trail/race who can help out.

be a bit more specific on routes/distances/type of riding and can add our two cents worth.

The plan is to depart from Stellenbosch on the 1st of June and do the trail in reverse:

Stellenbosch - Riebeek Kasteel (Make our own way out the Town)

Riebeek Kasteel - Tulbagh

Tulbagh - Ceres

(First snag, the wagon trail running over the Witzenberg is on private road and according to the book if coming from this side the owner wont be to happy to see us. I don't want to take the alternative tar route but don't want to upset any locals or their dogs!)

Ceres - Touws River

(This section requires traversing a private nature reserve with some 2m high game fences.)

Touws River - Anysberg

Anysberg - Rouxpos

They talk about creating a better route for this section but need to get permission from the landowner. The alternative seem fine although a bit boring. 

Rouxpos - Seweweekspoort

Our final destination is Calitzdorp but I really wanted to ride "Die Hell" so if there is a route available from Gamkaskloof it would be:

Seweweekspoort - Gamkaskloof

Gamkaskloof - Calitzdorp

Alternatively:

Seweweekspoort - Calitzdorp

I saw a few replies to a post about access rites and people being detained between Rouxpos and Gamkaskloof. I really don't want to be one of those guys who spoil it for every body else so my main objective would be to get contact details for as many of the land owners as possible to get permission to cross there land. 

.......However after four months of unreplied emails and ....

Make sure you are using the correct email address. Meryl is a highly competent and efficient organiser.

Here: meryl@freedomchallenge.org.za

Make sure you are using the correct email address. Meryl is a highly competent and efficient organiser.

Here: meryl@freedomchallenge.org.za

Thanks johannrissik

I don't want to make this a slander the FC thread as I'm a big fan of what they have done in the past and would love to actually do the entire challenge next year so this will be my last reply on the matter but I did use that email. I emailed them 14 times on every email address I could find, over four months and called Meryl personally. Nothing.  

Edited by Barry Scholfield

It's been a dream of mine to cycle across South Africa specifically trough the Karoo for some time now  and with routes like the Freedom Trail and Dragon's Spine it has been looking more and more like a reality. However after four months of unreplied emails and no more trail info on the website I have given  up the the Freedom Trail leaving me with a month before holiday, a copy of "Riding the Dragon's Spine", a outdated website and inactive Facebook page.

Has anyone out there ridden from Cape Town through the Karoo? How up to date is the info on the Dragon trail? Are there other routes that can be accessed by the public? Do you need special permission? Who from?

We are leaving on the 1st of July, route or no route and will figure it out as we go along if we have to. I'd just prefer not to.

You may want to get hold of Rohan Surridge rohan@detourtrails.co.za

He has ridden the entire Dragon's Spine to Cape Town and I am sure would help you.

I saw a few replies to a post about access rites and people being detained between Rouxpos and Gamkaskloof. I really don't want to be one of those guys who spoil it for every body else so my main objective would be to get contact details for as many of the land owners as possible to get permission to cross there land. 

Slight hijack but what is the status on access at "Die leer" at Gamkaskloof/Hell - closed to public, do you have to ask permission or open to cyclists?

You may want to get hold of Rohan Surridge rohan@detourtrails.co.za

He has ridden the entire Dragon's Spine to Cape Town and I am sure would help you.

:thumbup:

Johan will no doubt have other methods to ensure that the FC office is aware of this thread, but I have sent them a mail incase yours is getting thrown into spamboxes. You need to speak to them if using the route, as they will have the latest scenarios for any changes/contacts. Also, you're going about it the right way - a lot of time and effort has gone into permissions/relationships and you don't want to be the guy that ruins it for everyone.

welcome to PM me for more info - I'm laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank jealous.

The plan is to depart from Stellenbosch on the 1st of June and do the trail in reverse:

Riebeek Kasteel - Tulbagh - all doable, but a bit boring as it's mostly busy tar sections.

Tulbagh - Ceres

(First snag, the wagon trail running over the Witzenberg is on private road and according to the book if coming from this side the owner wont be to happy to see us. I don't want to take the alternative tar route but don't want to upset any locals or their dogs!)

I had a shotgun waved at me there setting up a race route once, farmer had forgotten I was coming! I think this is a lot more open now since the epic has used the route a few times now(witzenberg pass) - try get the number of the guy - I'll look for it in my files.

Ceres - Touws River

(This section requires traversing a private nature reserve with some 2m high game fences.) (which one - karoo1?)

Touws River - Anysberg (simple open access)

Anysberg - Rouxpos

They talk about creating a better route for this section but need to get permission from the landowner. The alternative seem fine although a bit boring.  (not sure what the current scenario here is - FC office should have the best answer)

Rouxpos - Seweweekspoort

Our final destination is Calitzdorp but I really wanted to ride "Die Hell" so if there is a route available from Gamkaskloof it would be:

Gamkaskloof - Calitzdorp - this is a bit of a roundtrip, but since you have the time and the desire. there are two 'viable' ways into die hel. The road coming from swartberg pass in the east, 'die leer' a donkey track coming from the west. The guys at the bottom of the donkey track have disputed the rights to traverse, 

option A - seweweekspoort -die leer-die hel-swartbergpass - klein karoo - red stone hills -calitzdorp

option B - seweekspoort - gamka dam-boat ride on gamka dam-prince albert-swartberg pass-die hel-die leer-sweweekspoort-calitzdorp.

Alternatively:

I saw a few replies to a post about access rites and people being detained between Rouxpos and Gamkaskloof. I really don't want to be one of those guys who spoil it for every body else so my main objective would be to get contact details for as many of the land owners as possible to get permission to cross there land.  there's a thread here about the issues in 2013. battle of ketoorskop it's called! you can take your own view on it, but i would speak to FC office first before speaking to the landowners - i dunno where the current impasse is standing.

Just returned from Seweweekspoort, Anysburg, PA, Gamkaskloof, (Die Hell) Calitzdorp as per Johan R's route he suggested.  I did contact Meryl at FC and she was more than helpful but it became rather expensive for me to pay the accn/night when it did not fall into my plans and I certainly did not want to upset the Doctors et al.

This is why I followed Johan routes because he stays there and does this trip  before breakfast just to build up a thirst.

This is just a small section of the Spine anyway and it is doable.  Don't rush or do it at night because it is the most beautiful part of the country.

Riebeek Kasteel - Tulbagh

Tulbagh - Ceres

Ceres - Touws River

(This section requires traversing a private nature reserve with some 2m high game fences.)

Touws River - Anysberg

Anysberg - Rouxpos

They talk about creating a better route for this section but need to get permission from the landowner. The alternative seem fine although a bit boring. 

Rouxpos - Seweweekspoort

Gamkaskloof - Calitzdorp

Alternatively:

Johan has a plan.