XT pedals vs XT Trail pedals

Charlie600

Dear all,

I have the "normal" XT pedals on my bike and really enjoy them. A mate however recently acquired a set of the trail pedals and is extremely happy with them - is it worth crossing over to the other (pedal) side?

Would really appreciate all opinions and comments in this regard, especially from those riders who've experienced both.

:clap:

I have got the trial pedals and I am really enjoying them.  I got them because they spread the weight a bit more and it helped me with my sore feet.

Sorry, ignore below.  I have XT Trekking pedals, not Trail.

I have XT trail on my Giant Anthem X Advanced 29er.  The problem I have is that I often hit the pedal cage on rocks when the pedal is near the bottom of the stroke.  The BB height of the Anthem and the big cages seem to make this happen more often than I expected.

Edited by ZeroPlay

XT Trail pedals are the best. Or even the cheaper 520s. Helps if you're caught out without a clean clip-in. 

Sorry, ignore below.  I have XT Trekking pedals, not Trail.

I have XT trail on my Giant Anthem X Advanced 29er.  The problem I have is that I often hit the pedal cage on rocks when the pedal is near the bottom of the stroke.  The BB height of the Anthem and the big cages seem to make this happen more often than I expected.

pedal rock strikes on the Anthem is very normal due to the low bb height. learn to live with it I guess.

I also have one fitted with XT trail pedals - got them for the additional platform but turns out the protection offered from the cage is more beneficial, especially on an Anthem.

I have both Trail and Standard XT pedals on different bikes 

I only every ride with my Specialized  cycling shoes, and the XT Trail never felt if it had any benefit over the XT standard.

If you were to use some soft soled  shoes that will actually contact the bigger area as compared to a cleat, you might have a benefit.

When it comes to not having cleated in properly and pedaling,  like starting again halfway up a hill. It also feels the same to me. With the rigid sole of the shoe there is no difference on how big the surface area is I am pedaling on.  

Most places the XT Trail and Standard are much the same price, so try it if you want.

Bought my 3rd pair of XT pedals now for a new build, but went back to the standard XT. 

Just my 2c

Edited by IH8MUD